Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you want to see in the next codex?
Old 23 Oct 2009, 14:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What do you want to see in the next codex?

There has been a lot of talk in various sites about the tau being "left behind" :'( in the 5th by the updates of its opponents. I am sure that drafting the new codex wont be easy and heaven forbid we wouldn't want them to rush it and get it horribly wrong. So in the mean time we may only gossip, speculate and wish. The question is as stated "what do you want?" > (in the 5th edition tau codex that is).

For myself here are some things I would like to see.

1) Gun drones with hit and run.

2) Relentless pathfinders with xv15 battle suits instead of fish.
It would be quite cool and effective to have stealthy jumping pathfinders and an interesting conversion for your old stealth teams.

3) Pathfinder fish as option for ethereals instead for a good reason to take them.

4) Gun drone squadrons with the option of replacing pulse carbines for flamers (hell drones).
This would compensate for the poor Bs of drones and combined with pinning from the carbines make the drone squadrons quite lethal.

5) Vehicle drones not worth a kill point.
It would make them worthwhile, not just a KP giveaway.

6) Vehicle drones that can be of any type and not just gun drones.
For example a piranha with a pair of marker drones, or a devilfish for FOF with a pair of hell drones.

7) Gunfu units.
These would use 2 pulse pistols and lots of grenades in CC. Given a threat range of 4", strength 5 (pulse pistol) 2 attacks for having 2 pistols and use their Bs rather than their Ws for their role to hit in cc. Tau don't do close combat, the closes they would get would still be shooting but at point blank range, this unit would reflect that.

8) The ability to take a 0-1 guard infantry platoon with some new tau options and limitations to represent the grue'vesta'la. For example tau advisers rather than the standard ones for the command squad.

9) Special issue drones.

10) i don't know where I first read it but I also would like to see the stealth suit commander which would make stealth teams a troop choice that someone suggested.

So what do you think and what else would you like to see (or like not to see 8))
This is actually not no a idea idea.
Quote:
my brain went all 'splodey from reading that
"Help! I think his brain is leaking!"
Blightedmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider
Default Re: What do you want to see in the next codex?

I personally would like to see a new aux in the mix...and definitely some Gue'vesa. I would also like to see Vespids with the "Scouts" special rule, because the recent codex states them being great strategic reserves and out-flanking troops.

Some new Vehicle upgrades might be nice, and some new battle suit war gear.

Finally, something that allows us to compete against H20 weapons.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would also like another aux unit and Gue'vesa.
Being able to have a whole squad of crisis suits having hit and run rule.
Zaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 19:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

Lowered point costs on vehicles. A Devilfish should not cost close to a Valkyrie. I'd suggest a 20 point drop on all Tau vehicles. Make the Skyray a possibly Pathfinder carrier with a Transport capacity of 8, no reload options for missiles.

Either make XV8 and XV88 battlesuits T5, or BS4, not both. CIB and AFP no longer special issue, bring in new line of truly "special issue" weaponry.

Allow Farsight to make XV8's count as scoring. If taken, new options for crisis suits become available. All XV8 and XV88 suits in the army gain the Unstable Reactor special rule.
-Unstable Reactor: Upon losing it's last wound or suffering instant death, roll a D6. On a 1 or a 2, it detonates as the reactor becomes breached and immediately goes critical. Place the large blast marker over the model, all units beneath the template take a Str8 AP4 hit (Including Friendlies!)
-Ideas for options include Power weapons on Shas'Vre rank suits and up for 15 points and 1 hardpoint, a Heavy CC weapon (grants +1 Attack) for 3 points and 1 hardpoint, maximum of 1. Vectored retro-thrusters no longer special, but dangerous terrain checks must be made once the H&R move is made. May sacrifice drones to immediately pass H&R initiative test.
-Failsafe Drones: Same statline as a gundrone, but guns are replaced with an explosive package. Works the same as current failsafe detonator but at Str6 Ap- instead, for 15 points.

Make Shadowsun count XV15/XV25 battlesuits count as scoring.

Put Forgeworld Piranha variant in the book, the one equipped with twinlinked crisis weapons.

Allow one sniper drone team to be taken for each Firewarrior Team taken, does not take up a FoC slot.

Allow Shapers a list of wargear and weapons, allow kroot to take a few special weapons or grenades. Give Shaper the option to upgrade the squad in various genetic ways (ie, like in the Merc Codex)

4+ Save on vespid or cheaper price. Possibly rending attacks as well in CC.

Difference between networked markerlights and normal markerlights removed. All count as networked markerlights.

Lower cost on Markerlight drones by about 5-10 points.

Special abilities regarding Shas'O status and Shas'El status.

Give option for a Kroot HQ that changes the +1 from Firewarriors to a +1 for Kroot instead.

Make firewarriors a bit cheaper, perhaps by a point or two. Tactical Retreat: Possibility to make a leadership check when being assaulted. If passed, they immediately fall back before any attacks are made, and the enemy consolidates as normal. Keep point cost the same if ability is put into place.

Make railgun solid shots inflict 1d6 wounds on multi-model squads, with the first wound being Str10AP1, the rest at half strength and AP4-5 (not sure which yet. AP1 would be a little broken). This is to reflect the speed of the munition being fired affecting those around it's path. Only inflicts 1 hit against single model units, not 1d6 (ie Demon Princes, lone characters, tanks etc.)

Make the Ion Cannon 30 points and given the blast attribute.

Just some ideas to throw out there.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would like to see the Gue'vesa...

also, i'd like to see ethereals get some kind of suit... not a full blown XV8 suit, just a kind of 'mini' one, which covers vital areas, a bit like a stealth one, but with a different head that way the eth' is more survivable
Old 23 Oct 2009, 21:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blightedmarsh
1) Gun drones with hit and run.
Why?

Quote:
2) Relentless pathfinders with xv15 battle suits instead of fish.
It would be quite cool and effective to have stealthy jumping pathfinders and an interesting conversion for your old stealth teams.
It would have to be limited to 0-1 or 0-2, and I doupt they'd ever completely replace DF pathfinders.

Quote:
3) Pathfinder fish as option for ethereals instead for a good reason to take them.
I take it the Ethereal would have to have an Honour guard to have such an option

Quote:
4) Gun drone squadrons with the option of replacing pulse carbines for flamers (hell drones).
This would compensate for the poor Bs of drones and combined with pinning from the carbines make the drone squadrons quite lethal.
But that would make them effective against Space Marines :

Quote:
5) Vehicle drones not worth a kill point.
It would make them worthwhile, not just a KP giveaway.
then don't dis-engage them unless you desperately have to in the mean time :P

Quote:
For example a piranha with a pair of marker drones, or a devilfish for FOF with a pair of hell drones.
again, that would make such tactics usful against SM

Quote:
7) Gunfu units.
These would use 2 pulse pistols and lots of grenades in CC. Given a threat range of 4", strength 5 (pulse pistol) 2 attacks for having 2 pistols and use their Bs rather than their Ws for their role to hit in cc. Tau don't do close combat, the closes they would get would still be shooting but at point blank range, this unit would reflect that.
first off, all WH ranged weapons use multiples of 6 for their range. secondly, CC Tau is widely acepted (though with some whiners), as being a bad thing. but this might work in theory

Quote:
8) The ability to take a 0-1 guard infantry platoon with some new tau options and limitations to represent the grue'vesta'la. For example tau advisers rather than the standard ones for the command squad.
Tau aren't IG, I'm sure there are threads discusing such things around.

Quote:
9) Special issue drones.
Example?

Quote:
10) i don't know where I first read it but I also would like to see the stealth suit commander which would make stealth teams a troop choice that someone suggested.
I kinda agree with this.

[hr]

TBPH, this seems to be a Codex Wish List. and I'm not quite sure if a Mod has seen it yet.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 22:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Devilfish upgrade that allows it to Deep Strike.

Devilfish special rule that allows transported units to disembark and fire as if they were standing still.

Devil Ray added, basically, it's a Sky Ray with transport capacity.

Upgrades to Piranha to make them more interesting.

Seekers dropped in prices and more options available (template, blast, or large blast version anyone?).

XV-9.

Separate the XV15 and XV25 models from being the same thing and put them in different FOC slots. As someone mentioned above, make X15s a Heavy Pathfinder, but have them choose between stealth generator or jet pack.

Give the Sky Ray the Auto-target system from the IG Hydra Flak Tank, and/or be able to shoot Marker Lights on Deep Strikers and hit them before they land (i.e. intercept drop pods with seekers BEFORE they disgorge).

Sky Ray gets a reload feature. To balance, it's d6, and no seekers can launch from it for your turn or your opponent's next turn (if the second-half of above gets put in).

Hammerhead mower cannon ala Punisher would be nice, but not expected.

More Drone Squad types.

Drone Squads no longer take up FOC slots, like Chaos Space Marine Daemons.

Kroot shapers provide a mutation option.

Krootox don't remove Infiltration, unless in a pack.

Either make Vespid a shooty unit, or an assault unit. If shooty, more dakka, possible template weapon option. If assault, 4+ save, Poison attacks or Power Weapons, and increase attacks by 1+.

Give Ethereals gear options that give them more use, such as something akin to a psychic hood, orbital blast, etc. These can be limited to only one available to each model. And remove the flee test.

CIB and AFP either become standard weapons, or only usable by team leaders/HQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 22:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This has been discussed a lot here too.

Quote:

This sounds like a cool idea, I'm one of the few around here who likes flamers. Though I'm not sure shield drones should be allowed in the vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Blade
I personally would like to see a new aux in the mix...and definitely some Gue'vesa.
Yeah, a completely new axillary would be awesome (if they did it right). I would settle for just humans though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
Either make XV8 and XV88 battlesuits T5, or BS4, not both. CIB and AFP no longer special issue, bring in new line of truly "special issue" weaponry.

Allow one sniper drone team to be taken for each Firewarrior Team taken, does not take up a FoC slot.
I would also love to see new weapons, mainly heavy flamers and something ap3. I know people want rail rifles on xv8's, but I just don't think that would look right. The sniper drone idea is interesting, though I'm not sure about how it would fit in with the unit's role.

I would also like them to update the command and control node so we can use it for more than just target priority tests, since those aren't around anymore. That could actually be changed just with the errata, but they haven't done that yet.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 22:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
9) Special issue drones.

10) i don't know where I first read it but I also would like to see the stealth suit commander
we have these, her name is shadow sun

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 23:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I never noticed that Shadowsun allowed stealth suits to be taken as troops...or that any commander could take her drones...

Personally I hate Shadowsun, I don't care if she gets better or worse, I'll never use her. Her fluff sucks, her model is meh, and she isn't even all that useful...the only point in taking her is her command bubble, if you actually use her weapons you'll just end up getting her killed.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote