Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you want to see in the next codex?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 00:46   #11 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: What do you want to see in the next codex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blightedmarsh

2) Relentless pathfinders with xv15 battle suits instead of fish.
It would be quite cool and effective to have stealthy jumping pathfinders and an interesting conversion for your old stealth teams.

4) Gun drone squadrons with the option of replacing pulse carbines for flamers (hell drones).
This would compensate for the poor Bs of drones and combined with pinning from the carbines make the drone squadrons quite lethal.

5) Vehicle drones not worth a kill point.
It would make them worthwhile, not just a KP giveaway.

6) Vehicle drones that can be of any type and not just gun drones.
For example a piranha with a pair of marker drones, or a devilfish for FOF with a pair of hell drones.

7 ) The ability to take a 0-1 guard infantry platoon with some new tau options and limitations to represent the grue'vesta'la. For example tau advisers rather than the standard ones for the command squad.

9) Special issue drones.
2. Slow and purposeful regular pathfinder when firing markerlights would make more sense, stealthsuits still have to aim their markerlights. Slow and purposeful is a better description of what the pathfinder is doing, than a heavy weapon.

Defintely agree on 5,7
4, 6 9, seem like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
I'd suggest a 20 point drop on all Tau vehicles.

Either make XV8 and XV88 battlesuits T5, or BS4, not both. CIB and AFP no longer special issue, bring in new line of truly "special issue" weaponry.

-Failsafe Drones: Same statline as a gundrone, but guns are replaced with an explosive package. Works the same as current failsafe detonator but at Str6 Ap- instead, for 15 points.

Put Forgeworld Piranha variant in the book, the one equipped with twinlinked crisis weapons.

Allow Shapers a list of wargear and weapons, allow kroot to take a few special weapons or grenades. Give Shaper the option to upgrade the squad in various genetic ways (ie, like in the Merc Codex)

4+ Save on vespid or cheaper price. Possibly rending attacks as well in CC.

Lower cost on Markerlight drones by about 5-10 points.

Special abilities regarding Shas'O status and Shas'El status.

Make the Ion Cannon 30 points and given the blast attribute.
I agree on these, plus.
I think Shas'O and Shas'El should both be BS5 ( BS6 is pointless it only increases hit chance by 2.8%) But the 'O should have Mont'ka and Kauyon based abilities which affect the way the army is played as a whole.
Vehicles points should be decreased while the distruption pod should get a big price increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack of The Spam
Quote:
5) Vehicle drones not worth a kill point.
It would make them worthwhile, not just a KP giveaway.
then don't dis-engage them unless you desperately have to in the mean time :P
Your kind of forced to dis-engage them when your vehicle dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Personally I hate Shadowsun, I don't care if she gets better or worse, I'll never use her. Her fluff sucks, her model is meh, and she isn't even all that useful...the only point in taking her is her command bubble, if you actually use her weapons you'll just end up getting her killed.
Shadowsun is so easily fixed. Change the fusion blasters to missile pods and she is the competitive HQ tau has always been lacking. If you hate the fluff then give her a firewarrior head and call her Shas'O Kais.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:00   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Something as cringeworthy as the Vendetta gunship.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:07   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

In a xenos codex? Doubtful.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:10   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
In a xenos codex? Doubtful.
There's precedent for it. 3rd-edition star cannons, for example.

The entire Ork codex, for another. (I kid)

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:11   #15 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Some Tau anti-vehicle infantry, maybe similar to Pathfinders with their markerlights but instead calling in artillery, or just some FW's with mini Fusion Guns.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:21   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

A little more on topic, I don't really know what I want out of a new Tau codex. At this point about all I can say for sure is that I want Matt Holland doing the models, since he's a good sculptor and has already proven he has a thing for Tau.

I know I want fire warriors to be fixed, though. At this point they aren't worth taking, in fact a lot of players wouldn't bother if they weren't mandatory. They cost too much and the fact that you have to put yourself in assault range to get the most out of them is definitely grade-A BS.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:30   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

On top of what is said, make most of Forgeworld Codex-standard. That includes:

Hammerhead turrets,
squadrons of Remora and Barracuda as Fast skimmers (our answer to Vendetta and Valks!),
XV-9s in FA and XV-6s in troops,
Broadsides become XV-99s and gain T5, 2+ save and Relentless due to the combined effects of a hardwired A.S.S. and the XV-9 chassis,

and point costs of everything adjusted down! We're pretty much a Grey Knight army at the moment!!! :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:32   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachmcki
Some Tau anti-vehicle infantry, maybe similar to Pathfinders with their markerlights but instead calling in artillery, or just some FW's with mini Fusion Guns.
We don't need Fire Dragons.

I would, however, love to see Markerlights (or multiple Markerlights, or special markerlights?) able to call in a Barracuda strike or an orbital barrage. This might work through the Reserves rules (roll for it when you roll for reserves, use in that turn's shooting phase) or as a One-per-use-bought, perhaps with a roll ala Tyranid Regeneration - expended uses can be replaced on a 6, or somesuch.

This could be something granted per Shas'o or ethereal - the two places where multiple-caste communication and synchronization is most likely to be heeded on the on-the-fly tactical level.

Perhaps Shas'el might join that list, but without the roll to replace it?

Lots of good ideas out there on various forums, including this one.

That said, aren't we rumored to be updated in, what, 2012? We have a bit of time to wait, see how other xenos codices end up, before justifying our wishlists with GW's "philosophy" through examples in other 5th ed codices....
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:46   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

XV9s in the standard codex with a 10pt discount for Drone Controllers...

... and an option for TL Fusion Blasters...

Really, I just want a codex that doesn't feel like its been purposely gimped more than everyone elses. If the kind of substantial codex creep we've been seeing in 5th ed is going to be the way of things from now on, then as a Tau player, I'd at least like to have some time in that spotlight.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:47   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Fire Warriors down to 9 points and given more options (LOTS more options). Or, if you want comedy, give them the option to take a Pulse Pistol and Multitracker and watch people stay WAY the heck away from them.

Many more units, including several special characters. Bring back Aun'shi, fix up the current special characters to be decent. bring in at least one more auxiliary, though for my part I don't care if it's Gue'vesa (I prefer the Niccasar, personally).

Vastly reduced price and increased availability on markerlights, plus brush up their effects a bit.

That's really the gist of it. There are a lot of things that would be very cool to have (Lionfish Command Tank HQ so we can have an all-vehicle list, for one) that wouldn't be really needed to make the codex good. That's what I want, to be competitive with a built that is neither spamming one unit or dodging 2/3 of the game.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote