Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick question about Markerlights and Devilfish
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Quick question about Markerlights and Devilfish

Hey all.* I'm new to the boards, so bear with me.* First, I just wanted to say (for those who read this) that I've read a great deal on the site and want to thank everyone who wrote all the fantastic articles on the site.* I thoroughly read all the articles RJay posted in his "Important Topics" thread and found them to be a great help.*

Second, had a quick question on Markerlights.* In the Codex, it states that, "Models use markerlights as a weapon...rolling to hit normally.* Each markerlight hit can be used to either launch a seeker..." blah blah.* Now, my question is, does the target get/make any kind of save against the markerlight itself?* I would assume not, because you're simply lighting him up with a laser pointer, essentially, but I wasn't sure.* I know that they don't get any cover saves and only normal saves (as applicable) from a directed weapon, but I wasn't sure about the Markerlight itself.* Thanks.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Quick question about Markerlights

Your assumption is correct: There is no save against the Markerlight. How does one defend against someone point him out and going, "Tag. You're it." via high-explosives?

Also, welcome to the Forums!
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 09:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Awesome, thanks a lot.* Like I said, I assumed not, but I have yet to go to a tournament, and after all the horror stories I read about "rules lawyering," I thought I'd pose the question.

Another question. Is it possible for a Devilfish to disembark troops while hovering over forest? I figure no, but I haven't seen any rule yet that doesn't allow it.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 10:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Reaper Claw
Default Re: Quick question about Markerlights and Devilfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
Awesome, thanks a lot.* Like I said, I assumed not, but I have yet to go to a tournament, and after all the horror stories I read about "rules lawyering," I thought I'd pose the question.

Another question.* Is it possible for a Devilfish to disembark troops while hovering over forest?* I figure no, but I haven't seen any rule yet that doesn't allow it.
i dont think it can unless your fire warriors are acrobats and they can swing from trees. but iv not seen a rlue like that either so im not shure. but i can say 90% sure that they cannot.

Reaper Claw
stoner Rabbit
Reaper Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 11:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Awesome, thanks a lot. Like I said, I assumed not, but I have yet to go to a tournament, and after all the horror stories I read about "rules lawyering," I thought I'd pose the question.

Another question. Is it possible for a Devilfish to disembark troops while hovering over forest? I figure no, but I haven't seen any rule yet that doesn't allow it.
I believe to embark or disembark models you have to be interacting with the terrain. I don't know the actual answer though, but the 2004 chapter approved mentions an eldar skimmer "touching down" prior to disembarkment.

I don't have an answer for you because I cannont find it in the rules or the FAQ.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
ShadowDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 11:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:

Another question.* Is it possible for a Devilfish to disembark troops while hovering over forest?* I figure no, but I haven't seen any rule yet that doesn't allow it.
I'd say, simply from the sake of fairness, that if you wanted to disembark your warriors into the trees, you should at least interact with the terrain with your Devilfish. This is assuming that you are wanting to drop off in the middle of, say, a twelve-inch wide piece of forest, and not a small finger of it that is next to your transport.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2005, 13:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Re: fish dropoffs. I think it would have to depend on the height of the terrain. If the trees are tall enough to prevent the devilfish from hovering above ground, at say 2" or so, then it wouldn't be fair to disembark the FWs, especially bearing in mind they have to be within 2" of a hatch. If the fish can't get closer than 4" to the tabletop, because the trees are 4" high, then you aren't deploying the troops within 2". You could always make a terrain roll to see how far down the trees the FWs could clamber
Old 01 Jul 2005, 15:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Well, forest is area terrain I beleive, which would mean that the height of the trees has nothing to do with it. So, putting the fish on top of the forest would be exactly the same as if the fish's base was level with the board. Forest isn't impassable terrain, so I believe that you could put troops in it. I would reccomend calling the rulez boyz and hearing waht they have to make up...errr......I mean, hear their expert opinion.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 15:23   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm, I see what you mean. The problem arises because you take the height of the terrain for LOS purposes to be the height of the trees, but it's not like a hilll or bunker in that models move through it at ground level. A devilfish can't move through the forest, so it would have to be above the forest for deployment purposes. I would still say that you can't do it though, unless the forest has a fish sized clearing or has trees low enough to allow deployment within 2" of the hatches.

EDIT: actually, just checking the rulebook, you can state that a vehicle is entering difficult terrain, but you have to test for it. For a Fish to deploy troops in a forest, I think you should have to state that the fish is actually entering the forest, and roll for its' terrain test. Bear in mind that it can become immobilised by doing this, too.