Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish on 48" by 48" tables
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jun 2005, 23:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Devilfish on 48" by 48" tables

It seems to me, when looking through GW rulebooks and such that 6' by 4' tables were meant to be the standard. However, here in New York city at least, real estate is at a premium, and GW stores are geared towards selling, and not playing. Therefore we have 4' by 4' tables, 48" by 48". Is this the case anywhere else?

For most armies this isn't a big deal, it just means that the game heats up a bit faster. For Tau it may seem like a tremendous advantage at first glance: With 6 inch deployment zones, or even 12 inches, your Fire Warriors can be in range at the start of the game! However, it soon becomes apparent that more advantages are lost than gained. The awesome range of our Railguns is on par with pretty much everyone else, and you have nowhere to run! The only way you will gain ground is to deploy in one quarter and take out enough enemies in an adjacent quarter to allow you to advance into it.

Anyway, to the point. Other than FoF, I find devilfish to be of little use in these circumstances. Does anybody else play on 4' x 4' tables? Advice?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 23:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Devilfish on 48" by 48" tables

DireStrike:

I love 4x4 tables more than the big tables, simply because I don't enjoy waiting 3 turns for anyone to do anything except hide behind terrain and take little shots here and there while a couple squads move through cover some where else.

The small board allows a game to be interesting, very quickly. Lots of carnage, lots of fire power, lots of combat. It's simply more exciting.

However, the small board takes the spot light off of the heavy supports and the big powerful long range guns that most people can't stand being on the receiving end of. And instead, it focuses more on what it should--the infantry of the game. The small board is pretty dangerous because as a tau player, you want to avoid combat, but at the same time, you're almost always in range for all your weapons pretty much. Devilfish are indeed a great choice on the small board because they're so resilient, and so "not threatening" to your opponent that they can survive quite a while and end up causing good amounts of damage. On top of it, you can have those fire warriors up close and personal for a stop-drop-and-fire session to follow your target priority and just surgically cut his army apart, unit by unit. It's also a great opportunity to use those infiltrating Kroot to support those Devilfish teams. On these small boards, your infantry get to do a lot more work than normal (on big boards, infantry for the Tau do very little for a long time). Having your fast moving Devilfish teams taking a more active role than on the big board, you can start using your Hammerheads for other jobs, such as Ion Cannon/Burst Cannon rushes or just other units instead in general.

Tau are powerful at range, but really, other armies are more powerful at range, because almost all of their units can have that good range. For the Tau, we have long range only on are biggest artillery, which is unfortunate. However, on the smaller boards, we have mass range suddenly and all of our weapons can be used on a constant basis, and I've always found Tau to shine in this aspect, as focusing Tau firepower is what makes them work well and the small boards allows us to do this very quickly, instead of just hitting from far away with a hammerhead or broadside. It allows masses of Fire Warriors, Kroot and Stealthsuits to be the stars of the show (which I enjoy more).

So for advice, think about using the range limitations to your advantage and don't bank on your biggest ranged weapons anymore. Instead, take advantage of all those medium ranged weapons, which is everything else we have in the Tau army. Massed S5 firepower can work wonders, even compared to railguns and ion cannons. This also allows our battle suits to be pretty effective from the start, instead of having to wait to get into range, or deep strike to get there. All of our non-hammerhead units and infiltrating units, pretty much get a boon to their ability to use their weapons, which is all they have anyways.

Cheers!
Old 01 Jul 2005, 00:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Hmm, alright, more infantry... THAT I can do, as I am a new player with an expanding army.

I still don't see much use of devilfish. Can you tell me where, when and how you use them? I find myself getting pushed back over the course of the game, so I don't really want to move my FWs up the board... do I? So far, with my lack of experience, I find it is entirely dependent on luck whether I have anywhere to retreat to when units get too close, and I often find myself having paid 80+ points for a burst cannon and 2 drones.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 00:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

The Devilfish, when given the multitracker and decoy launcher option, can then zoom around the bourd firing 5 str 5 shots, 2 of which are twinlinked, into hordes of enemies. By being on a small board this means that the devilfish will be able to shoot on the 2nd, and quite often the first turn. It becomes more of a fire support choice than a transport, unless you use Fish of Fury, which is still more of a fire support role.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One use of a Fish is to back up your troops that are being assaulted or to pull troops back from being assaulted.

Enemy Force
XXXXXXXXX
Enemy Force
Next Turn XXXXXXX Crisis
Crisis (_ DF_) Crisis
FW / DF DF/FW inside
XXXXXXXXXXXX Crisis (_DF_)

and no longer in Assualt range. So now your Crisis and and other forces can concentrate fire on that enemy Unit.

Once it is almost dead, you can finish it off with a FoF or just drop off your troop in a safe area and start shooting again.

WT

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 01 Jul 2005, 02:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Hmm, alright, more infantry... THAT I can do, as I am a new player with an expanding army.

I still don't see much use of devilfish. Can you tell me where, when and how you use them? I find myself getting pushed back over the course of the game, so I don't really want to move my FWs up the board... do I? So far, with my lack of experience, I find it is entirely dependent on luck whether I have anywhere to retreat to when units get too close, and I often find myself having paid 80+ points for a burst cannon and 2 drones.
Actually man, the fish are way worth it, especially if its FoF. Becasue the board is so small, you don't have as much problems executeing your FoF. You see, the big problem with Fof on 6' by4' boards is that they often get blown up before the Fof tactic is used. The board is so large that the other players can easily move around terrain witthout going over the board edge. The 4' by 4' offers a wide range of possibilities for FoF, as you can FoF, a chargeing army. The problem is, people have been starting to figure out, that its easy to out gun tau, and the never get close enough to FoF with out leaveing your Fish in the open for a turn or two. Stregnth twelve arour doesn't fari well against las-cannons for 2 turns. All it takes is two or three shots from a space marine and the FoF is toast. I propose that you try this on a small 4' by 4' board. Put your Fishes and most of the rest of your army behind terrian, and make them come after you. With your crisis you can jump in and out of cover and make it so they bleed to death if they fon't charge you. ONce they come within 12", pull your FoFs out, and pretty much the rest of your army. focus on the front squads ofcourse and have your crisis's take out the heavy weapons squads. If you have two FoFs your forceing 104 shots a turn at the guy. If the guy thinks he can make it behind your fish then, you get two turns to radis fire at him. 208, stregth five shots, with the FOF units alone. do the math.
The 4' by 4' table makes this possible becaus ehtye are more likey to see that it won't take that long to get toyou, and once the gte there you still have plenty of time to amputates and squads that are beyond saving. Be careful though, don't corner yourself, and try to have and escape route open some where.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 11:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike

Take a decoy launcher, targetting array and a multi - tracker. Then send it off to it's death :P

It's a good meaty target for people to fire at, and if it isn't destroyed or is ignored you can start tank shocking vulnerable troops with them. Or trying to manuever behind or to the sides of enemy vehicles. 5 strength 5 shots isn't much, but you have a good chance of doing something to 10 and 11 armor.

Since is it a rather large skimmer, with decent armor - you can block movement lanes with it. Figures cannot move underneath skimmers, so if you keep that in mind you can intelligently bottle-neck your enemy.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 01 Jul 2005, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

DireStrike:

In short - it's great because it will be a big target, after your opponent realises it can cause damage. It's got very good armor and resilience for it's price, and it's weaponry can hurt almost anything on the ground. It can quickly move, and drop some fire warriors into a position to unload some hurt onto a squad. But this, as others have pointed out, is a great situation in which the Devilfish becomes a mobile counter-charge device. If something is coming up fast to assault your front lines (thus pushing you away from them) you can drop a Devilfish into their face, shoot them some more, while stalling them a turn or more, depending on if the Fish survives or not. And if they're shooting your devilfish, then it's absorbing the damage instead of your infantry with wound characteristics.

The real reason it just is great, not only for putting a block in front of an assault squad, is simply to get those nasty fire warriors into rapidfire range. Shooting at long range just invites your opponent to shoot back. Where as, racing up, unloading lots of shots and focusing all of your firepower into your target, will remove it and eliminate the threat. Devilfish help you to maximize your damage output with speed, allowing you to better focus fire, which means you don't need to be pushed back because you can eliminate the things coming at you. Spreading out your firepower just doesn't deal enough damage. Loads and loads of S5 hits are no joke - even to power armor.

If you're having problems with being pushed back - a Devilfish can help. Otherwise, load up on the Kroot and Stealths, that way if they push you can push back, while your Fire Warriors do their thing.

Devilfish & Stealthsuits with some Kroot... they're a great team on that short board

Cheers!
Old 01 Jul 2005, 16:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here in Calgary we play on 4' x 4' tables, but usually, for bigger games, they stick 2 of them together and off we go. But for like 1000 pt games you play on those tables, and your best chance is to HOLD THE CENTRE. That way your men are further from the table edges, and have more a chance to rally before they flee off the board, and it also usually forces your enemy to spread out and try to surround you. When I saw a Space marine player playing yesterday, he was smart enough to know how devestating genestealers can be, so he booted it into the tall building in the centre, got his devestators and Tactical squads up there, and let loose into the Xenos climbing the walls. Before they got to the top, 2 of the 3 Genestealer squads were wiped out, and the last one had 2 left standing. Best advice: Hold the centre, or preferrably buildings near the centre
Old 01 Jul 2005, 16:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Remember that there is more depth to motion than just to and from your opponant. You can use the mobility of the devilfish to move around your opponants. If they want to catch your manuevering transports, they will have the spread their forces out which will prevent certain elements from supporting each other. This weakend their army as a whole, and allows you to manipulate their weaker elements, taking them apart bit by bit.

This is a random rant, but when devising a strategy, always be ready for plan B. The best strategies are the ones that don't need a plan B. For example. If the opponant does not take the bait and fan his forces out, circle around behind him and attack him from two fronts. (S)He now has to choose which facing they wish to attack, either way they will be walking away from atleast a portion of your army.

In medium sized battles and up I recomend mounting at least half of your fire warriors, and give them a bodyguard of Crisis Suits. That way if you do attempt this tactic, they will be more likely to take the bait. And if they don't, that is more firepower from the rear facing (also where most heavy weapons are kept )

A more common strategy for hybrid armies is to form a firing line and just bash the enemy as much as possible. Once they get too close, mount up and move out. If everything is timed properly, the opponant will never be able to assault you.

-Muds
Closed Thread