Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Target lock question
Old 02 Oct 2009, 05:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Target lock question

How exactly do taget locks on a squad work?

for example a squad of firewarriors with a Shas'el that has a target lock, does this mean that 11 shoot at one thing and one shoots at something else, or that 6 can shoot at one thing and six at another?

critical example: facing orks tomarrow night. these orks like to take vehicles with guys inside of them. I'm taking 6 XV25 two with fusion and target locks, four with burst cannon and gun drones. I'm planning to take 3 squads of them! can the fusion blasters shoot the vehicles while the burst cannons shoot the people inside (they're open topped)? and what speciffically happens since all shooting happens at once? if I mannage to destroy the vehicle and I declared the shots on the guys inside of it (open topped vehicle) do the guys count inside the vehicle or outside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 05:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: Target lock question

Should be in the regular tau section, not in the army list.

I dont know if they can shoot at people inside the vehicle, however ill do my best to explain how TL works.

Say we got 3 broadsides, and one has target lock. The unit declares it is shooting at a trukk, but there are two trukks to be seen. In which case (should you want too) the model with target lock can shoot at the other trukk rather then the one the unit is shooting at.

So yes like you said, they can target the trukk while the others shoot at something else. Just remember that the unit is shooting at a target, and then declare that you will use the target lock to shoot at something else with the 2 FB suits. And unfortunately on your first example only the 'ui can shoot at something else, the rest of the team has to shoot at what was declared.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 06:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can't shoot models in an open topped vehicle, but shoot them when they come out of it. I think target lock is best used on things like broadsides (targetting 2 tanks) standard FW (Markerlight one thing, shoot another) crisis suits (Use leader with fusion to bust tank, squad with TL flamers to mop up)
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 08:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Shakey" Of The Lambs
You can't shoot models in an open topped vehicle, but shoot them when they come out of it. I think target lock is best used on things like broadsides (targetting 2 tanks) standard FW (Markerlight one thing, shoot another) crisis suits (Use leader with fusion to bust tank, squad with TL flamers to mop up)
Pretty much. The only reason a FW squad leader would have a HW TL would be if they had a ML that you wanted to drop a Seeker on a different target or even put a token on a unit that the rest of the squad isn't shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 10:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Just remember that the same squad cant have 2 men shoot at the vehicle and then if they destroy it the other 4 shoot the evacuated passengers. All units fire simulteneously and this is mentioned somewhere in the rulebook too.

This means you cant use your 2 fusion blasters to kill the trukks, and use the remaining 4 burst cannons and drones to shoot the occupants should the truck die. You must target these occupants with a seperate unit altogether because units fire simulteneously and the Tau Codex states that you must predeclare ALL targets in the squad before rolling any dice.

Also, your against orks? do they have any looted wagons? do they have any meks with kustom mega blasters, or any warbuggies/deffkoptas with rokkits? if the answer is yes, give your crisis commander a shield generator OR HE WILL GET INSTANT KILLED SO EASY ITS NOT FUNNY. Trust me as a Tau and ork player, he will see your commander as easy pickings with AP3 or better weaponry.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2009, 15:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Also, your against orks? do they have any looted wagons? do they have any meks with kustom mega blasters, or any warbuggies/deffkoptas with rokkits? if the answer is yes, give your crisis commander a shield generator OR HE WILL GET INSTANT KILLED SO EASY ITS NOT FUNNY. Trust me as a Tau and ork player, he will see your commander as easy pickings with AP3 or better weaponry.

Zambia
Good thing that I always run with a Shield Generator and 2 shield drones for my commanders (except Farsight... who takes a buddy with him and he brings the shield drones) and Iridium armor upgrade. If I can afford it, I take the Stim Injector as well.