Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal or Bonding?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2005, 18:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ethereal or Bonding?

I accidentally put this in the Armies List. Sorry, On topic, which would you use for Morale check protection, an Ethereal Caste Member or bond the squad?

And BTW, would it be smart to have a Fire Warrrior unit with 11 and an Ethereal put into a Devilfish?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Ethereal or Bonding?

Personly I'd put a ethereal in back but i don't use one as i have my suits maxed up and a moble army almost never takes a check.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To be honest I would use an etherial, but you have to be careful how you use him and where you put him. Normally, tau players like to buy one and stick him at the back of the table with drones 'n' stuff. which is fine, but I prefer to use him in squads of FW. I do this for two reasons, he is very well protected and the squad becomes fearless. Plus, i think that the etherial's ability is better (but that's just me). However, be weary of his death!

bonding knifes are good too, especially if you've just been beaten in CC and they are keeping within 6" to scare you off (you just turn around and blast the hell out of them!). But 10pts per squad sometimes is not as good as 50pts for the whole army. It depends on how many (living) tau you use. But if you don't want to risk your FW running away when he dies, go with bonding knives they're the next best thing.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Adding an Ethereal to a static Fire Warrior team would be a decent idea, especially since he can add two more Gun Drones to the team's firepower. Putting him in a Devilfish is a worse idea, since you want to keep him AWAY from the enemy.

~Andromidius
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

But you would keep the Ethereal on board the Devilfish. Use FOF and make the Fire Warriors disembark and leaving the Ethereal, and then get back in and drive off. How would that be so bad?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
But you would keep the Ethereal on board the Devilfish. Use FOF and make the Fire Warriors disembark and leaving the Ethereal, and then get back in and drive off. How would that be so bad?
You can't leave the Ethereal behind in the Devilfish, since it was not purchased for him.* He can get out and leave the squad, but the squad can't get out and leave him in it.* He may never be alone in the transport. Reference page 62 of the main rulebook. :-\

Bonding usually does not work as well as it should given its cost.* It can keep a single surviving battlesuit from running off the table, but that suit will still be taking a Last Man Standing test every turn.* It matters a little more if you use a lot of drones, since you can get screwed if you lose too many of them.* I would argue that the Ethereal is a much better deal for the points, although you must of course be careful to keep him safe.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Also the fact that Independant Characters cannot disembark or embark alone if leading a squad. It's all or nothing.

~Andromidius
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:26   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Also the fact that Independant Characters cannot disembark or embark alone if leading a squad.* It's all or nothing.

~Andromidius
For clarity, ICs are allowed to disembark alone and leave the unit behind in the transport.* In this case the IC is no longer considered part of the unit. They just aren't allowed to remain behind in a transport while the unit it was purchased for leaves.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah. Another misread on my part then. Fair enough.

Still, you'd have pretty much the same effect, since you can't leave your Ethereal behind and why would you want to disembark him alone?

~Andromidius
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:29   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Ah.* Another misread on my part then.* Fair enough.

Still, you'd have pretty much the same effect, since you can't leave your Ethereal behind and why would you want to disembark him alone?

~Andromidius
Exactly.* You wouldn't.* It isn't a very important distinction most of the time. There are some armies where disembarking the IC alone might be a viable tactic.* Space Marines come to mind.* Tau are not one of those armies.* The Ethereal is safer with a squad than he is alone, but sometimes that means you have to keep the squad itself behind the lines.
Closed Thread