Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to defeat the Necron Horde?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2005, 18:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How to defeat the Necron Horde?

Hey guys. My first "Real" Battle with Tau is coming up. Im gonna be fighting Necrons! And I think we could start coming up with some great ideas on this page for defeating the necron horde.

Just give any input or experience you have, and we will mold it into a mighty battle plan! (Forgive me if theres another page like this already, or if this doesnt belong here)
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How to defeat the Necron Horde?

necrons are arguably the worst enemy the tau can face. lots of undying space marines-clones!

obviously tactics depend on his list, but the tau weapons are in general a lot more suited to light vehicles/infantry.
hope he takes a c'tan and then shoot everything else, as c'tans are a huge points sink, that if you play right, will do nothing.
ion cannons, plasma rifles, fusion blaster, railguns for the monoliths.

beyond that, long range pulse rifle fire. necrons are less adept at long range firefights. Just make sure you prioritise our targets right. destoryers and h.destoryers die first. flayed ones, and wraiths are over rated. they're expensive, low-model-units and still only t4, so pulse rifles do wonders. as well, destory entire squads at a time to avoid those WBB rolls, if at all possible.
Kroot will work nicely as their large numbers, and lots of high strength attacks are useful against v.expensive low model units, like your destroyers. they will be under rated by your opponent, so use that!
Pariahs are very expensive, and due to passing ld7 onto anything nearby (including necrons) they will be very rare in a necron force, and they make everything run away easier. hope he takes them! and shoot everything around them. ion cannons do wonders against them, as they cant WBB

Immortals are the ones to watch for. their guns are vicious. long range fire is all you can feasably hope to pull off, unless you charge the small immortal squads with kroot. don't laugh. I'd put my money on the kroot!

thing to watch out for in necron lists is their basic rifle gets glancing hits on a 6. devilfish and fish of fury are out IMO as they are just too vunerable. hammerhead is in, but keep him at arms length.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the info m8 ;D, I thought Flayed ones were a bit more deadly than that... but I take your advice :P

To destroy entire units, I think our best bet would be the Hammerhead Ion Cannon. No armor save, if my math is right, for their average troops. Since Necron players, from what ive seen, try to get as many numbers as they can in their squads, then taking all of them out might prove a bit tricky. A smart missle system on the Hammerhead might be a good bet, (Wait, if the 2 burst cannons work independently, do the Smart Missle systems function the same way on the hammerhead?), with Heavy 4, (or heavy 8 if im right), not many things get 4 (8) Str 5 shots, even if the Necrons stand back up, its better than having to wait for them to get within 18" with burst cannons. Besides, with the smart missle system you can be hidden behind a cliff/building and still fire.

So the hammerhead seems the ultimate choice for Long range Beating of necrons, which is essential, because you should never let them get close enough to start firing effectivley.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

its 4 shots. no more. I'd take twin bursts. its cheaper. remember, you're keeping your distance, so you should be over 36" away, ideally from anything with a gauss! obviously secondary weapons are out of range and will do nix. a 20 point waste, or a 10point waste?

Units that are worth taking:
fire warriors, and kroot. best basic infantry in the game. very useful, and very solid. well worth taking.
hammerheads with ion cannons-yes. with railguns? yes, but preferable weapon is the ion
broadside-yes. 2 rails for 150 points. its worth it, and they are able to cripple those pesky destroyers a lot more, point for point than rail-heads.
crisis suits: take pods for range, IF you want, but they are not youre best weapon. weapon of choice is twin plasma, followed by fusion.
pathfinders: useful to coordinate plasmas, and ions and to guide seekers. seekers have their uses, especially against those sv3+ destroyers. make sure the whole squad dies, as they can still WBB from seekers!
stealthsuits: lack the armour penetration to cause any serious damage. leave at home.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So, I think that solves alot of my basic questions.

But how about the Seeker missle page crisis? Weve been trying to figure out which is better for holding your seekers, a Hammerhead, your devilfishes, or both? I was thinking, originally, the FoF tactic with a markerlight in the mix would help if you strapped a seeker missle or 2 on the hull of the devilfish. So when you deploy your FWs, they can start setting up guns, and next turn open fire on the biggest threat you see. E.G: Your 12 FWs with markerlight are in the devilfish with 2 seekers on its hull. A few destroyers are advancing towards you. You deploy the FWs and Burst cannon, and prepare to fire. Next turn, hopefully if youre not dead yet, you fire your FWs into the Destroyers, doing little damage. One firewarrior whips out his Laser pen and beads a little red light on a destroyers forehead. FWEEEE! The seeker missle is away, hitting on a 2+!

Sound like it might work?
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Be very careful using FoF on Necrons. They can bring down a Devilfish faster than any other army in the game at close range. I would stay as far away as you can. As was said by Deadnight, wipe out Wraiths and Destroyers first, since they will be the only things that can reach you. If you continue play defensively in this way, a regular Necron opponent may be tempted to start taking a Monolith or more Destroyers. This is good for you, because we are more proficient at killing monoliths than any other army, and fewer Warrior squads means that they are easier to phase out.

Optimal weapons are Ion Cannons and Plasma Rifles, with at least one or two Railguns for dealing with the heavy stuff. When all fast opponents are dead, try to focus on scoring units from long range. If you have time, you can swoop in later to finish them off. You need what high-AP shots you have to fall where they can do the most damage. Destroying a full squad to prevent WBB is very hard, but Necrons are slow enough that taking them below half-strength can sometimes be as good as killing them.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Last thing you really want to be doing is getting closer to the Necrons. *At that range, your shooting will be evenly matched, and while Necrons are poor in close combat on the whole, they are still better then your Fire Warriors! *Not to mention Wraiths and Lords with Warscythes...

Also, you want to be staying away from those Immortals. *Being able to kick out that many S5 shots at 24" on the move is extremely painful (I underestimated them with my Imperial Guard - big mistake). *You also don't want to make yourself a juicy target for any nearby Monoliths...

As stated before, try to keep your range. *If you think you might receive a Monolith landing on your head, give Haywire Grenades to your Firewarriors (and make a point to your opponant about how nasty they are - big them up as much as possible! *A unit feared is a unit performing a greater task then actually destroying units).

And a Smart Missile System is a pair of launchers, so it's only 4 shots I'm afraid (only? 4 is more then enough for 20pts!).

Seeker Missiles should be placed on Hammerheads mainly, since they'll be hiding at the back away from enemy fire. *If you're taking alot, then place a few on Devilfishes as well and try to use them first. *1-2 on Devilfishes and 1-4 on Hammerheads would be my suggested max.

Also - Rail Rifles might be handy, since even Necrons can be pinned (I think).

~Andromidius
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:26   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Necrons can be pinned as normal, but their extremely high leadership makes it difficult. Rail Rifles have a much better chance than carbines, but try not to rely on it too much. If you spring for the target lock interface, you can potentially force several squads per turn to test. With their huge unit sizes, Necrons are hit a lot harder by pinning and morale when they actually do fail their tests.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well if the Necron player is fool enough to field Pariahs...^-^

Target Locks are a waste, better to focus all your Rail Rifles at a single target and down as many as possible without having your Pathfinders kill themselves.

~Andromidius
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:37   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Well if the Necron player is fool enough to field Pariahs...^-^

Target Locks are a waste, better to focus all your Rail Rifles at a single target and down as many as possible without having your Pathfinders kill themselves.

~Andromidius
The leadership-draining "soulless" ability only effects enemy units when used by Pariahs. This is different from the Culexus Assassin's "soulless", which effects everyone. Annoying, but true. Pariahs are a waste against Tau, though, since normal Warriors kill just as effectively in close combat and help stave off phase-out.
Closed Thread