Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what to equip my stealth suits with
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default what to equip my stealth suits with

i just picked up my stealth suits and i dont know what i should equip them with, also what does the little camera looking box thing u can equip to them do?
Zowno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: what to equip my stealth suits with

There are a myriad of different things you can equip to your stealth suits, and it all depends on what you want to do with them. The little box you are talking about is probably the part for target lock.

So i guess before i or any one answers what do u want them to do?
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i dont really know i just started playing.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just play with 6 suits with bonding. If you want to get crazy, add one drone and try it as a Marker drone.

Once you get a few games with them, try other things.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 04:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp

Okie dokie then, i can at least give you a brief before some one who uses them differently then i do comes a long.

1. Gun line, pretty simple and straight up. Give them all burst cannons and then blast away at the enemy. This pretty much has them acting like more survival fire warriors, as 3 stealth suits can easily match the fire of 6 or more fire warriors, but at the same time lasting longer in fire fights.

2. Marker light support. Give them some drone controllers and markerlight drones and they can support your entire army safer (though more expensive them a pathfinder squad. I combine a minimal version of this with selection 3.

3. Infiltrating, this can get your stealth suits right up close to the enemy, thus allowing you to harass them from turn 1. best used in a small squad that your enemy might not see as the greatest threat, but at the same time will be a nice thorn in their side. Hopefully they will draw enough fire and stay alive long enough for some more important, or specialized units to get into position.

4. Tank hunting, they arnt the best unit choice for it, but they can do some tank hunting. With a squad of 6 you can hand out 2 fusion blasters that can dish out some pain to all by the toughest of tanks. However this can be risky as it negates your stealth field (have to get in close), and thus will take away your stealth suits greatest asset.

hoped this helped. (feel free to correct anything ive misstated)
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 04:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

as much as it helped u didnt really say what to equip them with so im gonna do what it has on the box.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 05:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowno
as much as it helped u didnt really say what to equip them with so im gonna do what it has on the box.
OK, let me explain. You do have a copy of Codex: Tau Empire, right?

The sprue with Stealth Suits contains two legs for regular Suits and one for Team Leader, which include a Bonding Knife, strapped to the thigh of the left leg. The Bonding Knife is useful for regrouping when under half strength, which is normally not possible. The little box that looks like a camera is a Target Lock. That one might be useful for the Suit with a Fusion Blaster, to allow it to fire at a different target. The half-spherical thingy with a small anthenna is a Drone Controller, allowing the suit to take 1-2 Drones. Then you have the fourth, different, visor piece, which is usually considered either a Blacksun Filter, or even a Markerlight.

The sprue also contains a Marker Drone and an objective marker (the box shows it on a 25mm base). You have a choice of all Burst Cannons or one Fusion Blaster for the Stealth Team.

Now, how you should equip them really depends on the way you want to use them. Remember, the Team Leader, if you play him, may take Hard-wired Support systems. Also, please note, that your Stealth do not need to take any Support systems, however, if one does, all must take one, though each may take a different one. You may wish to read the rules for using Stealths and then check a few tactics here on Tau Online, which may help you to decide on how you want to use your Stealth Team.

I hope this helps some.

Oh, and welcome to Tau Online. Please, be sure to read the forum rules and enjoy your stay here.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowno
Sorry but... Did you read all of his post? He said different sets of weapons for the whole squad you can pick, all good at what they do, which can be either chosen on personal preference (maybe you like the look of the gun) or from a gaming angle.
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 21:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay, the problem is that your question seems really broad to exprienced players, we can't just say: "Take 5___ & 1____, with ____" because there are many different ways to use Stealth Teams, and it depends on what you need in your army.

How many points do you use?

How many Crisis suits do you have?

Are you Mechanized, Hybrid, or Static?

What are your Markerlight sources? Do you want more? Or are your Pathfinders getting swamped too fast, etc?

Do you have multiple teams of Fire Warriors, or just one?

Do you have any Broadsides or Hammerheads?

And usually the most helpful for us is: What are your regular opponents? (ex: Static Shooty Space Marines, or Goff Horde Orks etc...)
[hr]

Oh, and your attitude helps as well (are you an aggressive player who uses a modified drop & shoot a lot, or do you prefer to stay far away and chip away bit by bit?)

[hr]
The reason we need to know all of that at the very least is because Stealth can do a bunch of different things and be more survivable than many units in our Codex at most if not all of them. Most people here have done a quick rundown, and there are a bunch of old threads giving information.

Here's a quick, recent tactica

+1 - Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 21:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i dont really know what kind of player i want to be, i ended up equipping them with what it has on the box.