Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders useful or useless?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jun 2005, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Pathfinders useful or useless?

How do other people use pathfinders?
Do you think they are worth the points, do you buy them, do you use rail rifles?

I have been trying out a small 1000pt army with 1 Hammerhead (Rail cannon and Burst cannons) 2 crisis suits 2 small units of fire warriors in devilfish an ethereal (with 2 drones) and 1 unit of 8 pathfinders, with Shas'ui and drone controller with 1 drones. I add the ethereal and 2 drones to the pathfinders for a total of 290 pts, 12 models so ok to move in the devilfish, I then set up in some terrain and spend the game marking for other units. The ethereal gives leadership 10 to choose targets, 3 drones to take hits (I take the ethereals drones as casualties first), and fearless.
Against a horde nid army tonight they marked for killing
2 units of 3 warriors, 2 units of 12 gaunts, and 1 unit of genestealers, all killed by Hammerhead, burst cannon, crisis suit and seeker missile fire the same turn as they were marked.
And all for the loss of 3 drones and 2 pathfinders.
For me they may not kill anything themselves but they are an essential part of my army.

What are your thoughts?
What are your stories of using pathfinders?

Regards
Mark
Old 28 Jun 2005, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Pathfinders useful or useless?

Today I just played in one of the megabattles here at Chinook Games Workshop, (Calgary, AB). (For those who arent farmiliar with the term, a Mega battle's basically a massive game of 4-20 players, each using one core/troop choice). I used a squad of 8 Pathfinders, with 2 Rail rifles thrown into the mix. But for some strange Reason, the staff wouldnt let me use their Devilfish... Well, all the better, it didnt make me a shining target for once. Today, the battle was: Space Marines vs. the Allied Xeno forces of Tim the Enchanter. And I Dominated! The Rail Rifles cut through the Staff terminators, taking 2 of the 5 down (Whats the point ratio from a Pathfinder to a Terminator? ;D). I got away just in time to avoid the wrath of some nasty looking devastators. But by this time the Whirlwind (The only Vehicle allowed for the Marines) Had locked its sensors onto my retreating men, and blew them to oblivion.
In my opinion, a few well placed shots with a forward Pathfinder team can swing the battle.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The higher the points get, the more effective they are. A good point in which to start using them is usually 1500, before than it is your choice whether or not you want to risk an expensive and easily killed unit on the tabletop; usually a better idea not to.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Its not a terribly expensive unit... but still, your point is taken. I dont think a Pathfinder team would be of much use against a 1000 point army anyway, not enough tanks to markerlight
Old 28 Jun 2005, 03:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mwj258:

In terms of using Pathfinders, here's what I think: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...3868#msg123868

And here's another thread with a similar theme with loads of answers: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=5996.0

Cheers!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 05:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tanks are not the only unit that is extremely good markerlighted; a squad of stealth can have devastating effect versus any army with low saves. Take a nid swarm for example, lets say 20 spinegaunts. A squad of 6 stealthsuits will do this much damage:
4's to hit
18 shots=9 hit
2's to wound=5/6 chance to wound=7.47 wound (lol 747)
7.5 dead (about)

Now, lets take that same squad and say you rolled good (a little above average) with your 8 man squad of pathfinders, lets say 5 hits? So now your 6 man squad has 5 dudes that will hit on 2's. One will still be hitting on 4's, but that's no biggie. Ok:
2's to hit for 15 shots, 4's for the last guy
=13 hits
13*5/6=10.79

Almost 4 more dead gaunts with the same squad, same goes for eldar, IG, anything else with 3t and 5up save. With an armor save allowed, the numbers get even better but I won't go into it. Another good little something to markerlight would be (if you use them) broadsides, and also maybe (if you use a 6 man or less of Pf's) markerlight that transport popping crisis' missiles. Lots of options here; but again, the points not worth the gain in 1k battles or less.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko Vash Shi
The Rail Rifles cut through the Staff terminators, taking 2 of the 5 down (Whats the point ratio from a Pathfinder to a Terminator? ;D).
cutting through them with the maximum number of 3 rail rifles? You do realize that Terminator's still get their armor save, as the rail rifle is ap 3 and not ap 2? So two of the terminators rolled a one... I wouldn't count on that happening again :'(
Old 28 Jun 2005, 13:52   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Although I have not played with path finders they are very usefull ecspecaily with rail rifles but you should only use them in med-large sized games but thats just my opinoin.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 14:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yep, I think Pathfinders are a luxury not to be wasted. Use them in 1500+ games if you know youll be against some armor, or want to help your submunition rounds blow holes in units
Old 28 Jun 2005, 15:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Mwj258:

In terms of using Pathfinders, here's what I think: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...3868#msg123868

And here's another thread with a similar theme with loads of answers: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=5996.0

Cheers!
And there are many threads like those, infact there must be atleast half a dozen of them. By the way repetitiveness is boring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Closed Thread