Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Did i make mistakes
Old 09 Sep 2009, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Did i make mistakes

I have literally just started warhammer, and i bought a fire team and i want to know if ive gone wrong in any way while putting them together, i dont really know all the codex stuff yet. ive equiped all but 1 with the normal rifle, 1 has both the carbine thing and a rifle, 1 of the drones didnt come with n antenna so i took my bros three pronged thing from his tank and stuck it on and one guy in holding a bonding knife one guy is holding a grenade and one guy is holding a tracky thing, i think 2 might be holding a tracky thing...please help
Zowno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 09:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Re: Did i make mistakes

The Hand-Held device has no real use. Some believe its the markerlight, but you decide that one.

Aside from the guy with both guns, you've done everything all right. That drone may look a bit weird though.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 10:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what does the bonding knife do exactly, and with the two guns its just for show he is holding the normal rifle thing + the drone looks mint as.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 10:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The bonding knife makes it slightly easier to regroup once the squad has broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowno
and with the two guns its just for show he is holding the normal rifle thing + the drone looks mint as.
Not quite sure what you mean by this.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 10:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Officer Zack
The bonding knife makes it slightly easier to regroup once the squad has broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowno
and with the two guns its just for show he is holding the normal rifle thing + the drone looks mint as.
Not quite sure what you mean by this.
i mean that he is holding both guns but only uses one, the second gun is unfunctional and just makes him look cooler, mint means sweet as or really good looking.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 10:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah ok.

I can't say you can't put both guns on the same guy. In fact, it possibly allows you to change his weapon between games. But it would have to be with your opponents consent of course . (also, I did it myself when I started out )

Have you bought the Codex yet? Also a Battleforce may be the next best buy for you.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 13:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
mint means sweet as or really good looking.
Have we got another Kiwi on the forum? ;D That makes four of us I think. Doesn't sound like you've made any major mistakes. I like to stick the tracker on squad leaders as a markerlight, but even if you're doing that just put your second guy with a tracker into a second squad of fire warriors. Always remember that one fire warrior box actually gives you two squads: minimum squad size is 6 guys.

Poly
Out
Old 09 Sep 2009, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

what I would actually advise is that you buy the codex FIRST, make your list, submit it to these forums and get it improved, then, simply buy what you want for that list , it'll save you cash in the long run

btw, these are the types of lists that i know of..., it might be advisable to pick one, and make that list before you buy
1)Stationary, basically this is a static gunline, using lots of Fire-power, loads of FWs make the main part of your line, while broadsides and hammerheads make your heavy support, you wont be needing transports, but i would reccommend some fast attack, eg. Pathfinders, those 'lights will really help the 'boys on the ground' so to speak
advantages:- lots of fire-power, easy to use
Disadvantages:-slow moving, and the fact its IMPERATIVE that EVERYTHING on the field is killed before it reaches you

2) Hybrid, my understanding of this is that it's a mix of stationary and fully mech (ill talk about mech later), this list includes some Fws, mounted in 'Fishes, combined with slower moving elements, such as broadsides, this list is probably the most tactically flexible, as broadsides with railguns KICK dyi , however, watch them, as, unfortunatly, when someone plays against Tau, they soon learn broadsides are nasty...
advantages:- fairly mobile, and fairly felxible/easy to use
Disadvantages:- not as much fire-power as stationary, slightly harder to use than stationary

3)Full MEch, is basically a fully mechanized list, and by that i mean that EVERYTHING has to be on the move, FWs are mounted in 'fishes, that goes without saying, basically, run a policy of 'if it doesn't go 12' or more, it aint in the list', wer're talking a mobile strike force here, use the fire-power you have left to completely and utterly destroy priority targets, before they hurt you, and never ever stop moving
advantages:- fast, good amount of fire-power (although use it wisely)
Disadvantages:-sorry buddy, this is probably the hardest to use effectively, becasue you have to get the movement just right, you will also have the least amount of fire-power compared to the other two, because of the transports, at least on the up-side, you can get your troops out of there in a tight situation...
of course thats not all tau army configurations, other stuff like ninja-Tau, and Aggro-Tau, are also used, so you can try to look them up , I persoanally run a full mehc army in small games, (i usually fight my friends marines, and i usually win >) in the end its up to you
Old 09 Sep 2009, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For most games, as long as it's clear what each model is equipped with, you're fine. The guy with both rifles could be a problem unless it's clear that he's holding one and carrying the other. If the second one is hanging from the backpack or something, you're probably OK. The extra little game controller bit is entirely decorative, although I occasionally use it to represent an EMP grenade. You can use it to identify the squad leader if you like, as long as it's easy to pick the squad leader model out of the mix. Most players use a slightly different color for the squad leader, but different modeling is acceptable as long as you're clear at the beginning of the game what it represents.

In general, I think you'll be fine. Tau are one of the hardest armies to learn to play well (Eldar and a couple of others are worse), but don't let that stop you as long as you know what you're getting into. I started with Tau, and I lost quite a bit early on, but I had fun anyway. Now that I understand how to play them well they're even more fun! As others have mentioned, the Battle Force is a good investment, and you absolutely need a codex and core rulebook. Look into the Assault on Black Reach set to start even though none of the models in it are Tau. It comes with dice, templates, and paperback rulebook at a significant discount over regular price, and if you're lucky you can sell the Orc and Space Marine models to another player.

For friendly games while you're learning, don't be afraid to proxy some models and find out if you like them. Take 4-8 of your fire warrior models and make it clear to your opponent that they are pathfinders for this game. Devilfish can stand in for hammerheads or skyrays, crisis suits can stand-in for broadsides, and stealth suits can be vespid if you want to give them a try (most players avoid them).

One of the tricky things about playing Tau is that many of our models are very specialized, so you need to learn what each one is for. Broadsides are the best tank killers in the game, but fairly useless at anything else. Fire warriors have great basic guns for killing regular infantry, but they don't get special weapons for killing vehicles or monstrous creatures. Pathfinders kill nothing at all by themselves, but they make other units far more effective. Crisis suits are tricky because they are so customizable, but great fun! They can be configured as anti-tank, anti-horde, anti-transport, anti-terminator (terminators are ultra-armored space marines), or jack-of-all-trade.

Oh, and last but certainly not least, the disruption pod is the American Express Card of Tau vehicles. Don't ever field a vehicle without one!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 20:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Tau are one of the hardest armies to learn to play well (Eldar and a couple of others are worse), but don't let that stop you as long as you know what you're getting into. I started with Tau, and I lost quite a bit early on, but I had fun anyway. Now that I understand how to play them well they're even more fun!
my experience exactly friend , now especially i'm kicking my friends' power-armoured behinds most of the time actually , its only due to my usual terrible rolls that its a close victory to me I honestly wouldnt correct you if you called me Pyhrrus
seriously though, back on topic, as Knightperson said, Tau are a hard army to play with, no denying that, but when you get the hang of them, they are very rewarding... I honestly can't describe the feeling of ripping my opponents prize tank apart like tissue paper with a railgun , thats certainly an experience you will enjoy, especially if that tank happens to be a monolith/land raider, or there's the other thing, completly and utterly destroying your enemy's general with instant death....from a rail-gun (is there a reccuring pattern here? ) again, rather than getting the battleforce, i would reccommend making your army first, get that stuff, build/paint ect, then do test runs for other units before you consider buying/adding them to your army