Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights and Timing
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jun 2005, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Markerlights and Timing

At what point to markerlights that trigger seeker missiles fire? If one has multiple markerlight hits can one wait to see the first result before launching the second? For example:

My squad of Pathfinders light up a Demon Hunters' Demon Host looking for an insta-kill. Two hit. I first seeker missile fires, hits, wounds, but the opponent makes the invuln save. Can I then throw another seeker at it, or did I have to announce that first?

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 27 Jun 2005, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Markerlights and Timing

Well you have to fire all the weapons at the same squad since the pathfinders do not have a split fire rule. For example if your firing at a dreadnought with 3 lascannons but the second lascannon kills it then the third goes to waste. PLus you fire everyone at the same time. $ markerlights fire hits, fires 4 seeker missle hit, fires 4 seeker missles wound then they take their save. Not one at a time unless the markerlights are in different squads.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 00:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thats a very good question! Lets think about this, if you have a squad with many different guns, including heavy ones, you could opt not to shoot the heavy guns, and seekers are all very expensive. BUT! The Tau faq says (in my interpertation) that the model firing with the markerlight is the one that shoots the seeker missle, and you have to choose right then and there what you wish to do with the markerlight. So it would seem that you have to decide first.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 05:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundokiir
Thats a very good question! Lets think about this, if you have a squad with many different guns, including heavy ones, you could opt not to shoot the heavy guns, and seekers are all very expensive. BUT! The Tau faq says (in my interpertation) that the model firing with the markerlight is the one that shoots the seeker missle, and you have to choose right then and there what you wish to do with the markerlight. So it would seem that you have to decide first.
yeah i think your right on that one

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Jun 2005, 05:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundokiir
The Tau faq actually doesn't say that at all.

Your markerlights float until the end of your shooting phase as the codex mentions. You can assign a light to any weapon, including seeker missiles at any time before you declare your shooting phase over. While the vehicle doesn't fire the missile, you draw a line of fire from the originating vehicle for purposes of armor sides.

So RCanine, you can fire seeker missiles at any point after your lights hit.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 27 Jun 2005, 05:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ahh i see but if he say im fire two seekers then two go but if he dose it one at a time he has a chance to use a differnt weapon ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Jun 2005, 05:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
ahh i see but if he say im fire two seekers then two go but if he dose it one at a time he has a chance to use a differnt weapon ?
I'm not sure what you're asking. You can fire your seekers one at a time, and that's actually a better bet for trying to take out vehicles. You can check to see if you score some damage before wasting redundant missiles.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 27 Jun 2005, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Unless the markerlights are in the same squad you can't. Say you have a pathfinder squad. You fire 8 markerlights at a Predator 4 hit then you can assign then say 2 are seeker missle and 2 are guided for the crisis suits. You can't say 1 seeker missle then roll for the seeker missle and if it doesn't do anything to the tank you can't say well i use another markerlighted seeker missle to fire at the predator. No you have to declare what your going to shoot at and how many you are going to shoot.

Same thing goes with close combat you have to declare how many attacks your going to give to a person before actually rolling the dice you can't decide to add another attack after you failed to wound him.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller
Unless the markerlights are in the same squad you can't. Say you have a pathfinder squad. You fire 8 markerlights at a Predator 4 hit then you can assign then say 2 are seeker missle and 2 are guided for the crisis suits. You can't say 1 seeker missle then roll for the seeker missle and if it doesn't do anything to the tank you can't say well i use another markerlighted seeker missle to fire at the predator. No you have to declare what your going to shoot at and how many you are going to shoot.

Same thing goes with close combat you have to declare how many attacks your going to give to a person before actually rolling the dice you can't decide to add another attack after you failed to wound him.
Marklights are a very special case that work different from regular shooting attacks, what you are proposing as that you resolve the shooting from several different squads at once (depending on who you assign the marklight hits to), which would be incorrect and would/could confuse the shooting phase. You are supposed to resolve shootin one squad at a time, and that is the only restricint. So you pathfinders would mark thier tagets. Then the squad of crisis suits would reslove their shots, some of which would benefit fom the marklight. Then a seeker missle whould be shot off.

IMO, you can shoot one missile at a time as their is nothing stating that all the seekers are bundeled into one squad, and since they are fired independitely from the skimmer they are carried by they do not count as part of the skimmer as a unit, and so dont all have to be fired at once.

And Im not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the close combat example, but as far as i know you cant split up attacks (you have to attack the person inn btb), and you cant hold back,( i.e. you have to use all of your attacks).
Old 27 Jun 2005, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller

This happens when more than two units become engaged in the same combat, or when there is an independent character involved.

A squad must always declare all targets before firing. If you are guiding a squad of Broadsides, for example, you may not see if the first one hits before assigning a markerlight to the second. You must assign all markerlights before any of them roll to hit. Similarly, you could not assign one markerlight to a broadside, then fire a seeker Missile with another, and then fire with another broadside.

This is similar to the way the Target Lock works. It does not allow you to fire with part of the squad and then decide what the rest will target based on the results.
Closed Thread