Warhammer 40K Forum

need some math ?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jun 2005, 03:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default need some math ?

2 twin-linked MP =

2 twin-linked PR=

shooting at SM squad starting at 36" away coming at you ?I'm try to see which one will kill more?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 25 Jun 2005, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: need some math ?

Frank:

Starting at 36 inches away, the missile pods are the only ones that work, so let's start there.

Disclaimer: I round numbers because there are decimals on dice. So these numbers may or may not be accurate for everyone.

36 inches

2 Twin-linked Missile pods @ 75% accuracy; 4 Shots = 4 @ 75% --> 3 Hits @ 84% wounding --> 2~3 Wounds --> 0~1 Casualty
2 Twin-linked Plasma Rifles do not reach. 0 Casualties

24 inches

2 Twin-linked Missile pods @ 75% accuracy; 4 Shots = 4 @ 75% --> 3 Hits @ 84% wounding --> 2~3 Wounds --> 0~1 Casualty
2 Twin-linked Plasma Rifles @ 75% accuracy; 2 Shots = 2 @ 75% --> 1~2 Hits @ 84% wounding --> 1~2 Wound --> 1~2 Casualty

12 inches

2 Twin-linked Plasma Rifles @ 75% accuracy; 4 Shots = 4 @ 75% --> 3 Hits @ 84% wounding --> 2~3 Wounds --> 2~3 Casualties

Missile Pods do not change. They kill more marines because you have less shots overall, but you ignore the armor. Missile pods have the same rate at all ranges, making them useful from range, but they're only better than plasma when you have more of them. If you have few Missile Pods, it's better than plasma only at range because you are safer. Plasma is closer range, but has better kills, making it better up close of course for obvious reasons.

The simple answer to your first question though: If you're up close, there's no question, plasma is better. But if you're playing a longer range game, then the missile pods outclass plasma with the extra range and extra ability to kill more than just marines (ie: transports). 2 Shots at longer range is just more useful. But at close range, there is no denying the power of plasma rifles.

Your Crisis suit in this situation should reflect what you plan on doing. If you only want your Crisis to kill marines, plasma will always be better. However, if you plan on doing anything else, consider the missile pods and keep those suits at range.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 10:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

how do you get 4 shots for the missile pod ? in the codex it is Assault 2

am i missing something
Old 25 Jun 2005, 10:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E

am i missing something
This example is based on 2 twin linked pods, so they must be on different suits.
I'm not sure if Frank wanted to know the results for 2 pods that are twin linked or 2 sets of twin linked pods (4 pods total), I think that's were the confusion is coming from. (but Mal's example is correct for 2 twin linked pods/plasma )
Old 25 Jun 2005, 14:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceweasel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E

am i missing something
This example is based on 2 twin linked pods, so they must be on different suits.
I'm not sure if Frank wanted to know the results for 2 pods that are twin linked or 2 sets of twin linked pods (4 pods total), I think that's were the confusion is coming from. (but Mal's example is correct for 2 twin linked pods/plasma )
no mal got it right

Old 25 Jun 2005, 16:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

And despite the recent propensity for the twin-linked configurations, two Fireknife battlesuits will inflict more casualties at medium range and when considered over the entire range.

At 36"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 0 .55

At 24"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 1 1.39

At 12"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 2.5 2.22

So, if you were engaging Marines at all ranges, one turn for each, you could expect about 2.49 kills from the Missile Pods, 3.5 kills for the Plasma Rifles, and 4.16 kills for the Combination of Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
And despite the recent propensity for the twin-linked configurations, two Fireknife battlesuits will inflict more casualties at medium range and when considered over the entire range.

At 36"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 0 .55

At 24"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 1 1.39

At 12"
TL MP TL PR MP PR
.83 2.5 2.22

So, if you were engaging Marines at all ranges, one turn for each, you could expect about 2.49 kills from the Missile Pods, 3.5 kills for the Plasma Rifles, and 4.16 kills for the Combination of Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod.
i miss alot with the fire knife config so i never use it i guess i just have bad luck and need the TW weapons

Old 25 Jun 2005, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

how about since every body saying stealths kill as much SM as a TW PR crisis let see if this is true ?

Old 25 Jun 2005, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, a Stealthsuit can put out slightly more firepower at medium range, and it is also considerably cheaper. One-to-one, a crisis will always outperfom a Stealthsuit in shooting. Stealthsuits are just cheaper and more survivable.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 01:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Uh lets not compare a 65 pt unit that comes in max squads of 3 with a 30 pt one that can be up to 6, not a very good comparison. For what it's worth, stealthsuits are generally better, although crisis are much more set on a single task.
Closed Thread