Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

For all you people strapped for cash
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2005, 06:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default For all you people strapped for cash

Hello all! I was helping my friend (and my self in the process) to purchase a new Tau army, but the problem with this is that he is a bum, and has almost no cash to spare, so when he does somehow manage to get his hands on some greens, he has to make sure he gets as many points that he can get for his money. This has created a very "unique" army, seeing as how he simply maxes out everything to get as many points as he can.

I decided that this knowledge might be really helpful to other Tau players so I decided to post my findings here. Keep in mind, both me and my friend dislike kroot, so when I made this no kroot models of any kind were taken into account. If you would like to do the research about the kroot and post it here I would be in your debt. Also keep in mind, the following information simply assumes that you have all the drones that you will need (you should, but they are cheap to buy). Strategy was also not taken into account very much, just some. This is sort of opinionated, so I have included the points on the dollar value so you can ignore my opinion if you like and make an informed decision. Any suggestions, comments, corrections, additions and death threats along with any other feedback at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks and please enjoy.

HQ: Shas'o/Shas'el.
Probably most apparent to most people with an IQ towards the right of the bell curve; Take the Shas'o. It has improved power all around. Better WS, BS, An extra wound and another attack plus higher leadership, which is good if you wish to make him join another squad. I was able to hammer out a solid 170 points from him with 1 Missile Pod, One Plasma Rifle and a shield generator. I added a hard-wired drone controller and multi-tracker. And If you are fighting at night simply add a HW Blacksun Filter and it will bring you to 170 points. Total Cost, $20.00

Ethereal.
For half of the price of a Crisis Suit, You can take an Ethereal. Of course it goes without saying that you will end up with less points, but the points you get are worth more to your dollars. If we cut the points of the crisis suit, we come to 85 points. Compared to the 92 I gunned out of the ethereal, that's 7 points extra, and as if you had gotten 14 points worth of things for free from your Shas'o.

For a Shas'o, You get 8.5 points on the dollar, and for an ethereal you get 9.2 points on the dollar.
If you are trying to squeeze out all the points you can get, then go with the ethereal.

Elites: Shas'ui/Shas'vre (crisis team)
Cost wise, $20.00 for 122 points. Not quite as good as Shas'o. The best way to get the most points that you possably can, Upgrade to a Shas'vre, equip with a HW drone controller with 2 Shield drones, A Missile pod, Plasma Rifle and shield Generators. For maximum efficiency do this for all crisis teams before assigning more crisis suits to each squad, because the other two wont have as many points, for the same exact model.

Shas'ui/Shas'vre (stealth team)
For the smallest squad size that you can get, it will cost you $20.00, the same as a single Crisis Model. The difference points wise is that you get 152 maxed out points. Over all a better buy. But in this case I would recommend maxing out your squad, and not buying a team leader model, that way you wont have an extra model that you cant use and you can simply convert/paint one model differently and simply designate him as your leader. Maxed out, they get 5 Shas'ui, 1 Shas,vre with a marker light and 2 shield drones, and the whole team is bonded. That comes to 242 points for $30.00.

The Crisis suit comes out to 6.1 points on the dollar, and the maxed out stealth team is 8.1 points on the dollar. Like wise the minimun size squad is 7.6 points on the dollar, but this can be boosted by using my suggestion of forgoing the team leader model and making the squad size 4, in which it is the same price, but comes out to 9.1 points on the dollar.

Troops: Shas'la/Shas'ui (fire warriors)
The box comes with 12 fire warriors, enough for either 1 maxed out squad or 2 minimum squads. I would suggest going for the two min squads because that way they both total up to 272 points, as apposed to 220 for a single full squad. This also benefits you because it allows 2 marker lights, and lets you divide your fire easily. The box is $30.00, which comes out to about 9.1 points on the dollar. To max out points, make 2 squads of 5 Shas'la with Pulse rifles or Carbines (both the same cost), and one Shas'ui, armed with a marker light and HW drone controller and 2 Gun Drones (because who uses shield drones in a firewarrior squad?)

Devilfish
I know its not a troop choice, but its not really anything, and seeing as how it is listed under troops in the codex, I figure I might as well follow suit. Anyways... I would recommend not buying one of these when you are hard pressed for cash. Its only about 4 points on the dollar, and it will ccost you 35 of those dollars. Still if you must, then I would recommend taking 4 seeker missiles a Decoy launcher and a Disruption pod for good measure. Perhaps even a Targeting array if you are feeling like shooting with it a lot. You can get anywhere from 140-150 if I calculate correctly, witch is 4.3 points on the dollar.

Fast Attack: Gun Drones
Not much to say here, these are a really good choice because uusuallyyou will have a few of them just hanging out and doing nothing, so make them into a squad and you have your self from free points, and if you want more, they are about $2.75 each, so for a squad of 8 you pay 22 dollars, and you most llikely have a few already to. We will say $15.00 and less if you take fewer drones, perhaps free, and with TL Pinning guns they are not a bad choice at all.

Shas'la/Shas'Ui (pathfinders)
If you are strapped for cash, forget all about these guys, the lowest cost you could get on these guys is $57.00, because you need a Devilfish (see above) too! But I will tell you what to get for these guys too, because I know someone out there wants to get pathfinders. If you equip the Devilfish like above, and take 3 shas'la ($12.00) and 1 Shas'ui ($10.00), then bond them, give them EMP and Photon grenades, you can get out 220-230 points. But I would have to say max out the squad size, ESPECIALY before getting another. I'm sure you could find a way to buy 3 packs of Pathfinders and 3 Shas'ui, making only minimum squad sizes, and use the left over ones to build another squad, but then you have to buy 3 Devilfishes, and that's going to cost you, and then you wouldn't be able to use any of those nice wonderfull Gun Drones, would ya?

Heavy Support: Shas'ui/Shas'vre (Broadsides)
Broadsides cost a lot of cash, they are not as Mobil as the Hammerhead and have fewer options then their Crisis brothers, but they have amazing firepower and can really mean the difference between victory and defeat. They are better used in places with lots and lots of terrain to hide behind, because they are slow, slow, slow. One of them could take down most vehicles, but a squad of three of them is almost ccertainto do some damage. They have very good range and their chances of killing anything they shoot at are extremely high. $35.00 for one is nothing to scoff at, but one of them, with a Shield generator, TL Plasma Rifles, Multi-Tracker and HW drone controller with 2 shield drones, you get your self 142 points. It comes out to 4.1 points on the dollar. I know you are thinking, that sucks, but they are cheaper then Hammerheads and in my humble opinion much better.

Hammerhead
Simple, $40.00 for 225-235 points. Reccommend Railgun, Disruption Pod, Decoy Launcher, 4 seekers, a target lock and multi-tracker. 5.6 points on the dollar.

And that's all! Once again, I want feedback like this is the last thing you will ever give feedback on in your life!
Old 24 Jun 2005, 08:27   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: For all you people strapped for cash

That's a unique way to put together a force
It would probably begin to hurt in games after a while as there would be a lack of bodies on the board with every squad maxed for points not guns to point at the enemy, but I can see where you are coming from- there's no cheap way to put together a decent sized force, (except ebay I suppose).
I've no idea of the $ price, I only know the UK£ prices, but here you can get a devilfish with 8 firewarriors for £25 rrp.
If you leave off the shoulder pads and give them all carbines you get an instant pathfinder squad with fish, for a lot less than buying the metal pathfinders.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 08:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Indeed it is a unique way to put together a force, though it wouldn't be that efficient compared to a force without cash constraints. Also as said before you could quite easily save money by doing conversions although there are many ways to do so (perhaps too many to mention).

So how uncompetitive is the army then? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 24 Jun 2005, 15:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

an army the max's out ther points for the most ponts value is going to have a really hard time to win... In fact I don't think you could win at all maxing out the points on all your units
Old 24 Jun 2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Actualy, its not my army, it belongs to my bumish friend. Hes not an avid player for reasons you could imagine, so I only have actualy seen him play perhaps 5 times, 3 of which were VS. me. Of course he lost in all of our games, that couldent be helped no matter what. He (tells me) that hes won 4 out of 7 games played with it, and I do believe he has (maxed out of course) around 1500 points. I will post his exact army list soon. As for my self, it has helped my out because, I am also poor (but not that poor, I just have to buy other stuff with my pay check). So far I have about 3000 points, and about 1000 of which was done using this "advice." In this was I was able to save lots of money in the short run, and still build up a sizeable force in the long run.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 22:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

If money's tight, conversions are the way to go! The devilfish with 8 fw's into pathfinders is a great conversion. The interchangeable devilfish-hammerhead is another good one. It's a bit more difficult, but an interchangeable crisis-broad side also works. I'm sure there are more ideas just surf the web!
Old 05 Jul 2005, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If money is tight don't play Warhammer. I think the most cost efficient army would have to be Choas Space Marines. You can fill up 1000 points easy with 2 Khorn Berzerker Squads, a Deamon Prince and some big nasty gun.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 23:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I save money by buying larger boxes and doing conversions:

Fire Warrior + Devilfish = £25 (£27 of stuff)
Tau battleforce = £50 (£60 of stuff, plus jungle trees = £3 (more then they actually state you save...odd))

Fire Warriors + jungle trees = Pathfinders
Crisis Suits + creative thinking = modular suits
Devilfish/Hammerhead + creative thinking = modular tanks

And plenty of money saved!

~Andromidius
Old 06 Jul 2005, 15:40   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm surprised there was narry a mention of the big army box or at least the Tau Battleforce - a GREAT way to save money and get lots of stuff.

Old 06 Jul 2005, 18:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Well, who wants only 12 kroot?