Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HELP! these nids keep 1st turn assaultin me what do I do?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jun 2005, 20:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default HELP! these nids keep 1st turn assaultin me what do I do?

uhh subject says it all
Old 23 Jun 2005, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: HELP! these nids keep 1st turn assaultin me what do I do?

Hi
Try setting up at the back of your deployment zone, and place any heavy support in the corners.
If you buy pathfinders make sure they set up more than 24" away from any nid swarms. If your opponant uses infiltrate units try mounting any fire warriors in a Devilfish.
Hopefully that should keep him away for 1 turn, remember not many synapase creatures can move as fast as gaunt swarms, so that may slow him down for a turn or two.

I hope this helps.
Mark
Old 23 Jun 2005, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Solhall

One time when i had the same situation i used gun drones that was in the way,
and Kroot after that, assulted when they had finished of the drones (but the drones
had the time to shot one time before they where in assult), so maybe it was not as you.

I Had Gun Drones as meatsheald, so the rest of the army had the chance to get time
to get in position, I won that battle
Old 23 Jun 2005, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

the only units that can legally do that are infiltrating(outside 12") genestealers, and hormagaunts.

Chances of them doing it are low- genestealer must infiltrate outside your LOS, so he's 12.01" away from you. FoF later, and he's in your lines. its the only way. Set up so you have as much LOS as you can get, so stealers can olny infiltrate 18.01" away. Even if he rolls a 6 for his FoF he can't legally charge, as he's outside the 6" charge distance.

the hormagaunt can do his 6" move, up to 6" FoF and 12" assault. Someone confirm for me the wording as to if its 24" maximum, or outside 24" (24.01") If its not a quarter set up (cleanse) and takes the long table edge, you should have more than 24" between you and him.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 23 Jun 2005, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I hate to sound critical, but what size terrain are you playing on?
Old 24 Jun 2005, 07:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i had this done to me once, now when i play nids i mount all FW in fish and keep everything else back to start (at the back edge of my deployment zone). also don't disembark PF before the first round. this will stop him assaulting you first turn if he gets it and allow you to reposition if you get first turn.

hope this helps.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 12:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

With the Tyrands, you pretty much either need to start the game mounted (And this is where Mech Tau really shines) or towards the back of your table edge. (If you play Static Tau). The one mistake you don't want to make is to put your troops at the very end of your 12" deployment zone. Reason being is that if your opponent fields Hormagaunts and he's able to get a 6" FoF movement, technically speaking he could assault you 1st turn. This is all assuming you play on a 48" long table. Since most standard missions have a 12" deployment zone, there is only 24" of free space between the both of you, and hormagaunts can cover that in a single turn w/leaping. Actually, Genestealers can too now with Scuttling (6" Scuttle free move, with 1st turn 6" move, 6" fleet, 6" assault) Scary how they can move so fast.

So with static Tau, your only hope is to completely decimate these faster squads in less than 2 turns. Which is possible, but not realistic. With Mech Tau you have the luxury of shooting first turn and mounting up and fly away to another position.

Since the Tyranids can deliver so many fast units to your lines so quickly, you *will* be on the defense for several turns until you can wipe out all the troop/elite/fast attack choices... Then towards turn 5 and 6 you can start dropping your troops back down to claim objectives, and deal with wounded Tyrants, 'Fexes, and straggling Bug units.

This worked beautifully to my favor during a 2000 pt. game this week against a 5-year veteran Bug player. At the end of game I only lost a Crisis Team, 2 squads of 12 Fire Warriors a 4 unit Drone Squad and 1 RailHead. The only units the Bug player had left on the table was a wounded Flying Tyrant, and a Carnifex.

Of course all my skimmers were banged up and missing weapons left n'right, but they lived to talk about it.

-SaturN
Old 24 Jun 2005, 13:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mount everything you can, Fishes are built strong so they should be able to weather the first round of combat - and with Fletchettes you can kill whole swarms with a Tank Shock!

Use a wall of screens, sometimes Drones but better yet Kroot, to take the first wave. They can do alot of damage to nids, their high WS helping to make up for lousy I.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 14:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
the only units that can legally do that are infiltrating(outside 12") genestealers, and hormagaunts.
And Gargoyles, And Raveners.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 14:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As a side note, you can use the 1st turn assault as a way of drawing out a big fat tyranid unit into an ambush.

Infiltrate a small Kroot squad ahead of your main line, opposite some huge guant squad that you want to get rid of, and put some crisis suits with flamers about 8-10 inches back from them.

1st turn, the kroot will get charged and get wiped out. The guants will be unable to consolidate into another unit, and, on your turn, will be the perfect distance away to hit with flamers, and then wipe out completely with concentrated fire.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Closed Thread