Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do I use against a Chaos Marine army?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jun 2005, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default What do I use against a Chaos Marine army?

I am currently fighting someone with Chaos in a 750 point battle. My army list is:
3 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
12 Fire Warriors
12 Kroot Carnivores
8 Gun Drones
3 XV15 Stealth Suits
1 Hammerhead Gunship with Railgun and Burst Cannon

My opponent has:
1 Demon Prince
2 squads of Khorne Beserkers (sorry I'm not sure how many but I think it's about 15 in each)
1 Rhino with Havoc Launcher and Combi-Flamer
3 Bikes with melta bombs

His army is Khore orientated and they have blood rage or something (they move an extra D6)
I set up a stron firebase behind my kroot and open fire on all his units, but with his extra movement he gets to me far before my firepower can make a dent in his armour. Am I missing an important unit? What do I need?
Regards
Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 23 Jun 2005, 06:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What do I use against a Chaos Marine army?

I would say run, run away. Not literally, but instead of setting up shop and waiting for them to trample over you, be as mobile as possible. Use terrain to get between their army and yours. Put a multitracker on your devilfish so it can move 12" each turn, and give it a target lock and smart missiles so it has longer range, can hide better, and keep its heaviest armor facing their big guns.

Your Kroot aren't going to last long unless they're in cover. Use them as a decoy, and pepper them with shots while they try and get your other units--you'll be surprised how much damage they can do.

Perhaps even try deep striking a unit or two: by the time they've run across the table, they'll have to turn around and do it again to get the other units.

Chaos is pretty obscene with the different abilities it can give its units. Good luck!

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Reaper Claw

take a few MLs they can rip power armour apart
stoner Rabbit
Old 23 Jun 2005, 11:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tyrehire:

First of all, let's get the numbers right. If he has a Daemon Prince, 2X15 Berserkers, a rigged Rhino and 3 Bikers, then he has near 1000 points in his army, not 750. He must have less marines in the squads (probably 8?). So knowing exactly what number of marines we're looking at would help.

The problem is, every unit in his army is a problem for you, because you're immobile and you just don't have enough firepower to deal with pure power armor that moves fast without vehicles. Ground khorne can be dangerous if you can't (a) kill them quickly (b) run away quickly.

His bikes can race forward 24 inches and have you in combat the next turn, too easily. His two squads of Berkserkers will move pretty quickly if he blood rages (though watch him so that he doesn't autoblood rage, as he must roll for it.

Take a look at your troops:

12 Firewarriors and 12 Kroot, at 30/24 inches, firing at the bikes will give you: 12 S5 :: 6 hits :: 3 Wounds; 1 casualty. 12 S4 :: 6 hits :: 2 Wounds; 0 casualty.
Firing at his bikes on average, just won't kill them all even with both your troops, now if they're very close, this will change and you have good odds of killing them.
24 S5 :: 12 hits :: 6 wounds; 2 casualties. 24 S4 :: 12 hits :: 4 Wounds; 1 casualty. There's your 3 bikes, on average, destroyed.
So keeping that in mind (just as an example), you're going to want to rapidfire those bikes ASAP with both of your troop squads (do not waste plasma on them). If you need more wounds, then use your gundrones as well to focus fire on those bikes.

A single crisis suit or two, should be able to pop that Rhino with a missile pod - so that should be 2 of your crisis suit's priority, because that havoc launcher will actually mess up your chances for success since it has two blast template attacks coming each turn, which would eat your Kroot alive, and actually kill a good portion of fire warriors easily, and once you lose those troops, you're caught pretty much. So get a missile pod on that rhino the first chance you get.

The hammerhead should always be putting that submunition template on his squads of berserkers, every single turn. If he has big squads, or just good sizes, you'll at least cause a good number of wounds and with some luck, pound a few of them away early on. You can use your XV8's to aid here, if you have plasma, use it at the 24 inch range, to attempt to just nail a single marine or two each turn extra. Keep your distance though.

The stealthsuits should be used as a support role, because they're too small to really be on the offensive. So they should support which ever squad needs it, since they can adjust and lend an extra 9 shots anywhere within 24 inches that needs it. That can add the final wound you needed to roll one more power armor save for him to fail.

Now comes the final problem - how beardy of a daemon prince are we talking about? He's very limited in points, so is he a marine based lord with the other marines, or are we talking about a monstrous creature with a berserker glaive, wings or something, daemon armor? Do you recall what saves he rolls? Thing thing can be a great problem for you, but know one thing: it can be insta-killed by a railgun. If he has an invulnerable save, then he can ignore it, but if he fails and you hit him with a railgun, his prince will be removed outright. If he has a 4+ invulnerable save, this will be a tough call to make because you should be killing his infantry (more important), but if he only has a 5+ invulnerable save, the odds are much more in your favor, and a single try to kill him with the railgun may be a good ticket. If he has a 2+ save, you're going to want to get plasma on him fast, because pulse rifles just take too long in a sticky situation like this (especially if the prince is T6). Even plasma will have a hard time killing him at T6 with an invulnerable save.

So if you know anything about his prince - that will help out much more to determine how you deal with it, and when you deal with it. If he's just a ground marine, it will be harder to deal with since you may not be able to target him.

Anyhow - I'll wait to see if you know anymore information about this chaos fellow before I continue.

One final little note, he probably has zero anti-tank except for those 3 bikers. That means your Hammerhead may be an immune vehicle in your game, so if that's the case, you can use that to your advantage!

Cheers!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:58   #5 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrehire
3 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
12 Fire Warriors
12 Kroot Carnivores
8 Gun Drones
3 XV15 Stealth Suits
1 Hammerhead Gunship with Railgun and Burst Cannon
I would replace the Railgun with Ion Cannon and with the extra points replace the burst cannon with SMS (less shots but a longer range). To be safe though you really need a devilfish for your firewarriors. Swap out the stealth. I think stealth are most effective in 6 man squads anyways.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 14:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Make sure he's not bending his Chaos rules. They are the bendable variety are his Chaos rules.

Old 24 Jun 2005, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Thans everyone! I think his Daemon prince is T6, Daemon wings, and something that doesnt give my suits armour a chance.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 24 Jun 2005, 14:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Reaper Claw

if it a khorne army like you say and if he has a berzerkerglave MAKE SURE he tests for

dam i cant remeber the rule but if he causes a wound on you then he must test to see it the weapon does something attack him i think

if he says he doent have to because hes fearless this is rong he must always even if he is fearless

Reaper Claw
stoner Rabbit
Old 24 Jun 2005, 22:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Right, read this http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/%7Eleebj/index.html, My friend Has a Khorne Chaos army, and there are some sneaky Tactics in here that will send him home disgruntled, having lost all his games to you (mind you it does take a while to get used to this style of play).

[move][glow=red,2,300]Aquila[/glow][/move]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 26 Jun 2005, 01:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Use your fists. You won't win versus a competent chaos player using tau, go buy yourself a nice cheesy marine subtype army (SoB) and then think about winning.

EDIT: Oh God it's the sick baby again-go away.
Closed Thread