Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehicle drones, what to do with them?
Old 04 Aug 2009, 23:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vehicle drones, what to do with them?

The list I've been playing with has two sets of vehicle drones that I usually detach. I've found them to be extremely useful against my friend's tyranids, as he doesn't have anything to shoot them down with. However, most armies should be able to shoot them down and get them out of the way, making this strategy ineffective.

How do you guys use these little squads? My roadblocks are extremely annoying to some, but they don't stop everybody.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Vehicle drones, what to do with them?

Well, they count for KP's, so i try to protect them, otherwise i keep them attached to the vehicle for as long as i can and just use them for additional shots
Old 04 Aug 2009, 23:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, I should keep that in mind for tournaments. We usually don't use those at my store.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I generally keep them attached to my hammerheads (multi-tracker + target lock = 12" move, all weapons shooting, at different targets ), and if I need to counter-assault something, I move them from a devilfish.

I also made the banner.
forrestfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 03:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll occassionally use them to shield other models from being assaulted, but less so in annihilation.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

I use the drones on my DFs to protect the squad inside when they unload. Whether to just keep them from being assaulted, or to try and outflank the enemy, I usually find its best to unload them as soon as I unload the rest of the squadron.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Well, they count for KP's, so i try to protect them, otherwise i keep them attached to the vehicle for as long as i can and just use them for additional shots
Just to point out if they were ever attached to the vehicle they don't count as kill points on their own.

I agree with everyone else use them to protect non combat squads. During 4th edition you could use them to force target priority but sadly this isn't the case anymore. The new rules also make one of the marker lights fuction obselete.

Anyway back to drones. With 5th edition is it possile to transport them inside a devilfish? (No point I know, just interested.)

"The tracks on the land raider crush the heritics, crush the heritics, crush the heritics. The tracks on the land raider crush the heritics, all day long!" - Sung to 'the wheels on the bus'.
Ka Sha Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka Sha Is
Quote:
Just to point out if they were ever attached to the vehicle they don't count as kill points on their own
As they form a separate unit, they are a separate kill point. 1 kill point for the vehicle, and 1 for the drones.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 15:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In non KP missions I use them the provide cover saves and act as a road block between my deployed firewarriors and their target.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 16:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestfire
I generally keep them attached to my hammerheads (multi-tracker + target lock = 12" move, all weapons shooting, at different targets ), and if I need to counter-assault something, I move them from a devilfish.
Actually, you can only move 6" and fire everything. 12" and fire one. The drones do NOT count seprate. They count as part of the vehicle for all purposes untill you detach them or the vehicle is destroyed. St 5 is no longer defensive, but that does not apply anyway.

I find vehicle attached drones to be useless other then blocking the assault or giving a cover save to a unit. Mine are almost always replaced with SMS and I take SMS or BC on my hammerheads.
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote