Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Target Locks on Crisis Suits
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Target Locks on Crisis Suits

I have just thought of a random scenerio which poses a potential problem. I have not encountered this yet, but I figure that I probably will in due time. So I might as well adress it now before it actually is a problem.

A squad of Crisis Suits with HW Target Locks (or even Space Wolves Long Fangs) decides to split its fire amongst two separate squads. Do you have to check for priority to fire at the squad farther away?

Personally, I want to say no, because that would pretty much ruin the entire purpose of the HWTLs and the Long Fangs ability.. but what do the rules say?

Thank you,
Muds

EDIT: Sorry.. I did not check the FAQs yet, but I do not really have the time to at the moment. If this has already been discussed before, then just link me to the thread. Thank you again.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Target Locks on Crisis Suits

The way the rules stand now, you must take a leadership test whenever you want to fire at an enemy unit that is not closest to you.* So whenever you split your fire, you will probably be taking a test.*

GW has explained their reluctance to give Tau any exemptions from main rules in a FAQ, preferring to wait for a future full release.* This seems to be a little suspicious, as they gave the Dark Eldar similar exemptions in their FAQ.

If you wanted to target multiple units, none of which is the closest unit, you will need to take a test for each.* Those that fail will have to fire at the closest unit, those that pass fire as normal.* That seems the most logical, given that the rules for the target lock allow you to target multiple units, and a test must be passed every time you want to target a unit further than the closest.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The way the rules stand now, you must take a leadership test whenever you want to fire at an enemy unit that is not closest to you. So whenever you split your fire, you will probably be taking a test.

GW has explained their reluctance to give Tau any exemptions from main rules in a FAQ, preferring to wait for a future full release. This seems to be a little suspicious, as they gave the Dark Eldar similar exemptions in their FAQ.

If you wanted to target multiple units, none of which is the closest unit, you will need to take a test for each. Those that fail will have to fire at the closest unit, those that pass fire as normal. That seems the most logical, given that the rules for the target lock allow you to target multiple units, and a test must be passed every time you want to target a unit further than the closest.
Hmm, that's not true though. Target priority simply lists that any time a *unit* targets something that isn't the closest, you have to take a test. It makes no mention of individual models.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 22 Jun 2005, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Target Locks just enable you to split fire but do not guarantee an ability to shoot at a target other than the closest. You still have to take the Leadership test. Makes a Shas'ui for your Pathfinders a good investment if only for the LD boost.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 01:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, thank you.

I assume it works the same for Space Wolves Long Fangs?? I know this is the wrong board to discuss SW, but its the same topic so I figure it would be pointless to start a new one.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:35   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Hmm, that's not true though. Target priority simply lists that any time a *unit* targets something that isn't the closest, you have to take a test. It makes no mention of individual models.
No, but the target lock essentially breaks a unit up into little sub-units for the purposes of targeting. You can hardly expect the rulebook to discuss individual models when only a handful of units in the game have an exemption. Since the Tau Codex predates Target Priority, it is likewise no help. This is something that should have been dealt with in the FAQ, but wasn't.

The alternative means that you will always be taking a single leadership test to use the target lock, after which you can split fire however you wish.
Closed Thread