Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tyranids just made to fight Tau.
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2005, 15:57   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New Tyranids just made to fight Tau.

The new synapse rules, I've seen some pimped out hormas charge, break while outside of synapse, flee back into synapse and charge again. . . Hormas are worth their weight in gold now, rending claws and a stupid number of attacks. Reminds me of the kroot merc army with 80 kroot hounds, gets everything but skimmers without fail.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 17:55   #22 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Eh, nids aren't that bad to fight. Because synapse is absolutely necessary now, 4th edition saves our butts in that we can target any synapse creatures we want, no matter where they are, with a leadership test, which tau don't fail often. Also, yes, they have fleet of foot, but sorry, they're NOT gonna roll 6's every time. In fact, they're just as likely to roll a 1, and a lot of 'nid players plan their strats on hitting good Fleet rolls, which doesn't work, ever.

It also takes a long time and a good level of strategic play to get any units that would be affected by the no-insta-death rules into melee with you, because you ALWAYS have to drag a synapse in with them, and once again, ALWAYS the synapse can just be dropped at a whim. Tau specialize in dropping any one unit with a volley of fire. When you have 12 in a mob, you can't focus on that, but if it's a swarm army, it doesn't matter anyway o.O;

When I played 'nids last friday, he dropped a bunch of deep-striking (?'s...don't remember names...lictors, maybe...) up my arse, but his only synapse was a Brood Lord. I killed the Brood Lord in a hot second, and suddenly his deep-strikers weren't so tough.

Kroot OWN Gaunts if charging or in cover. I had 3 Kroot (including the shaper) against about 8 Gaunts, and we skanked them three ways to thursday.

New tyrranids aren't any tougher than anybody else. It just takes skill, just like playing any other opponent. That's the beauty of 40k, is no matter what you say, nobody's geared to killing any other race (except with the preferred enemy thing), and nothing's really THAT stacked, to a point where it's a game-breaker. No army list is invincible. It's alllllll in the play.

(Also, swarm armies are fun to play against...it's really a good match. They can run at us, and they don't take long to get there, but we can shoot at them almost the entire way and butcher dozens of them. Bring 5 FW squads and you've got yourself a hoo-rah.)
Old 22 Jun 2005, 18:00   #23 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick
The new synapse rules, I've seen some pimped out hormas charge, break while outside of synapse, flee back into synapse and charge again. . . Hormas are worth their weight in gold now, rending claws and a stupid number of attacks. Reminds me of the kroot merc army with 80 kroot hounds, gets everything but skimmers without fail.
Hormigaunts do not get rending claw options. . That would be brutal.

With the old Tyranid codex, I didn't play much with mutability and so I didn't include hive nodes. Therefore, maintaining synapse was crucial to my strategies and I admit it was a challenge when the warriors were killed that easily. Hive Tyrants, because of their survivability was essential to maintain the Synapse web. But now with the new No-Insta-Kill rules, however, I think warriors are the way to go. I'm going to still field a HT though because they are just cool.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:43   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Learn the lesson Tyranid players: Tyrants are for noobs. Swarm armies are the answer.
Yes! ;D Finally some one agrees with me! Swarm armies are the ultimate!

Another lesson that needs to be "learned" is the fact that you do not have to spend points on many upgrades. I just buy weapon upgrades for my guys...that's all I need. I don't spend the extra 2 points (or whatever it is) to make my little guants "Without Number" and I don't like seeing people by the adrenaline glands upgrades (+1 I and WS) to a Initative 5 creature and 4+ creatures! For the price you pay for the upgrades, you could buy at least (I've done the math) ~6 more critters/squad.

Also I really don't like the carapace armour upgrade either (another waste of points...) ^-^
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:38   #25 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

A'u'nat, I really need to play your army... it seems you and I think alike with regards to Tyranids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:46   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I havent seen the new rules but the tau do need a enemy bent against them.

Orks and gaurd just get ripped apart by tau, its not surprizing that they are giving a hoard army a uper hand to balanace. Then from the GW boss angle, if hoard armies are popular they sell alot of kits and make alot of money, a 1000 pnt nid army costs far more then a 1000 pnt SM army.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 05:44   #27 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Actually, (as i've said in the other like-minded thread) the new 'nids are actually really easy to beat, especially for tau. The little critters now no longer have synapse and hive nodes, so if you destroy the big 'uns that have those things, the little 'uns have to pass a leadership test at ld 5 to even move. Bugs not moving= fire warrior target practice ;D
Old 01 Jul 2005, 16:49   #28 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Someone I know has a Tyranid army, and I haven't seen anyone beat it. He uses all Genestealers, brood lord, and a carnifex. sometimes the carnifex will get switched out for a lictor. According to him, genestealers don't use synapse, and act on their own. If this is true, how can they be beaten?
Old 01 Jul 2005, 17:49   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yestreday I saw the most terrifying army ive ever seen a tyrranid player produce. It was a 2000 pt battle, he had a Carnifex, a Hive tyrant, and about 300 Spike Gaunts!!!
Old 01 Jul 2005, 17:54   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasOJeff
Someone I know has a Tyranid army, and I haven't seen anyone beat it. He uses all Genestealers, brood lord, and a carnifex. sometimes the carnifex will get switched out for a lictor. According to him, genestealers don't use synapse, and act on their own. If this is true, how can they be beaten?
Well, for starters, make him prove it. Other than that, concentrate FW and Stealths on the Genestealers while busting the big ones with crisis and broadsides.
Closed Thread