Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pinning with pulse carbines?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default pinning with pulse carbines?

If you wound with more then one pluse carbine, do they have to take a pinning test for every carbine u woundedthem with ??

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: pinning with pulse carbines?

They take a pinning test for each unit that you wound them with.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
They take a pinning test for each unit that you wound them with.
so only one test per unit even if two wound ? the same unit right

Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

but then it would be kinda bad if it was for everyone wound . Yet it would be nice have a space marine tac squad having to take 5 pinning tests. ;D

I think the opponent has to fail their save for them to take a pinning test. But i'm not 100% sure.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A pinning test is taken for every wound the pulse carbine inflicts. So its/they`re taken after saves have been made.

Note: It has nothing to do with how many units inflict wounds, its about the number of wounds ( to T0nka).

As examples:

2 wounds = 2 pinning tests

4 wounds = 4 pinning tests

If one fails, they don`t take tests after the one they fail (they can`t be pinned double so to speak)

In the 4 wounds/tests scenario:
Say they fail their 3d, they get pinned, but they dont take the 4th test.

Very useful for Tau tactics ;D.

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiyas
Note: It has nothing to do with how many units inflict wounds, its about the number of wounds ( to T0nka).

I don't think that's correct. Do you have a rulebook page quote?
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

On page 19 of the Tau codex, "Any unit suffering at least one wound from Carbine fire must test for pinning".* So four wounds caused by the same squad of pathfinders only results in one pinning test.

On page 32 of the main rulebook, "A unit may be called upon to take multiple Pinning tests in a single turn."* This means that if two seperate pathfinders units cause wounds on the same squad, that squad will have to take two pinning tests.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
On page 19 of the Tau codex, "Any unit suffering at least one wound from Carbine fire must test for pinning". So four wounds caused by the same squad of pathfinders only results in one pinning test.

On page 32 pf the main rulebook, "A unit may be called upon to take multiple Pinning tests in a single turn." This means that if two seperate pathfinders units cause wounds on the same squad, that squad will have to take two pinning tests.
hmm so if u FOF with two squads and both squad have some carbines and both wound they have to take 2 test what are the odd to fail one ?

Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:15   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not that simple, I am afraid. You must roll the shots from the carbines and those from the pulse rifles separately. It isn't enough for both squads to wound. At least one carbine in each squad must be responsible for causing a wound in order to force two tests.

As pinning is a leadership tests, the odds of it working are of course based on your opponent's army. Against Space Marines, the chance of an enemy being succesfully pinned can be as low as 3/36. When you add in the low chance to hit, wound, and penetrate power armor, you can see why Carbines are not all that useful against that army.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Not that simple, I am afraid. You must roll the shots from the carbines and those from the pulse rifles separately. It isn't enough for both squads to wound. At least one carbine in each squad must be responsible for causing a wound in order to force two tests.

As pinning is a leadership tests, the odds of it working are of course based on your opponent's army. Against Space Marines, the chance of an enemy being succesfully pinned can be as low as 3/36. When you add in the low chance to hit, wound, and penetrate power armor, you can see why Carbines are not all that useful against that army.
what about eldar ?

Closed Thread