Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ever been bashed for bringing tau to a ternament or rogue trader?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2005, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ever been bashed for bringing tau to a ternament or rogue trader?

From the time I first started playing tau (it was and is my first and only army) people have been bugging me about how crappy tau are despite the fact that I have more wins than losses. A lot of veterans keep on pulling this joke that they think is hilarious despite the fact that they have said it as many times as there are years in 40K.
'hey guys I found out what the new tau codex says'
'what does it say, Smurf Dan?'
'Its 7 pages of fluff and then at the end it says 'see codex space marines' .'
grrrrrrrrrrrr.
I am even more so bashed when I bring it to ternaments. One person had the audacity to say the tau lack 'firepower' and 'force' to truly be acceptable for play in a ternament.
I have been to two ternaments.
Recently I am proud to say that I won one and got 21.50$ of store credit as first prise from the local hobby store. They still didn't shut up. 5 minutes after I won, I heard the same joke again.
Why do they hate us so much, my fellow tau players? What are yout experiences in this situation? what have you done about it?
Respectfully
-RailgunV42
"Tau Va"
Old 20 Jun 2005, 00:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ever been bashed for bringing tau to a ternament or rogue trader?

They hate us because they envy us ^_^.
No, really, it's basically a combination of mistaken identity, lack of eldarship, and just plain looking wierd (in their eyes).
There are many things about Tau that resemble parts of other armies to those who don't know too much about us. Our basic unit is like a combination between a 'Nid Termagaunt/Eldar Guardian/DEldar Warrior, and a SMurf Tactical Marine. It takes the best things from all of these in range, takes it up a notch, then kills the melee out of it.
We have battlesuits, that resemble Termies in many ways. They're modular, they're big, and they're bad-ass ^_^. We have a scout unit that's very good at killing small things, like the SMurf scouts. We have a tank with a massive battle cannon on it. We have an HQ that resembles a beefed up version of our Tau "Terminators." There's countless other things that look like parts of SMurfs, specifically, as well as other armies. It probably bugs them to hell that we look like we're just all of the best parts of other armies put together, minus the CC.
Another thing that they probably don't like is the fact that Tau are the new race...in every possible way. They're a new species, their codex is one of the two latests to come out, and nothing about Tau (except the Shas'el and 'o) are truly battle hardened like SMurfs, and Imparial war weapons. They just feel that we don't/shouldn't stand a chance against other armies, simply because the Imps (and other armies) can slaughter them in fluff (both military might, as well as sheer amount of fluff), as well as the lack of true variety in the models. We have Fire Warriors, Crisis suits, Stealth suits, two vehicles that look alike, and some drones. Plus the Kroot that are probably rare on the tables they play. Every other army (except maybe Necrons) have much more diversity and variety with their units, and can cover pretty much any aspect of war, unlike what they believe with the Tau.
Finally, Tau just look vastly different from any other army. They're more Fudal Japan style, with some modernisation. Unlike looking like futuristic versions of King Arthor and his Knights of the Round Table, or the furturistic Shock Troopers. They get plate mail, they get battle uniforms, they get other mesh armour, it looks intimidating in a heavy European way. Tau are not European. They don't like that. Tau look like they've been created by different people, from a different place. Like a bunch of Asian GW workers to got a whack at making their own army. It's unusual, and they don't like it.
In the end, it's their problem, not ours. Keep playing, and maybe they'll shut up once you beat them down with a 100 win streak or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 01:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

We play an army of short, blue people who are obsessed with fish. How could you not make fun of them?!

As far as tournament competativeness... they're mostly right. It takes a lot more skill to win a tournament with Tau than with just about any other race.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 Jun 2005, 02:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Or extreme beardiness your choice.

Ya people at my shop bash tau all the time. Like said before its because we are different and they are afraid of change. An army that's not space marines! HAXOR!!! HERETIC!! blah blah blah. I beat them all the time they are just afraid of me.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have only bin playing at my local game shop for 3 months with tau. There was other tau players before me ,but every time i played I hear the same thing( i never seen the tau played like that) They are use to them staying in the back standing still and shooting. I won the local tournamentand im still in first place they dont say to much stuff about the tau when i play with them. Mostly at the shop there are lots of SM players some eldar,1 dark elda,r1 orks,1 guard, 2 necrons 2 chaos and 4 other tau after i won so many times i started the rise of the tau at my local game shop for the greater good there like total of 5-6 tau players now .

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 Jun 2005, 03:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I alwayshave to listen to stupid stuff when I play. I've heard a lot of complaining that tau suck. Some people refuse to play against me because they think tau are overpowered. And one time this kid freaked out and went into a huge rant about how tau shouldn't have bonding because it resembles what marines have.

Basically... people are stupid, ignore them.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 04:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always thank people when they bring Tau to Rogue Trader Tournaments. ANYTHING to diversify the armies being played is a good thing in my book. I have been to RTT's where EVERYONE brought space marines.

That is one mighty boring tournament, let me tell you...
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

personally, i have never been the subject of such things but i can sympathise with u. the tau are very different to almost all the other races in the game, people don't like things that r different. i love the look, feel and diversity of the tau, as well as the way they play. also i think people don't like them because they seem to be the "good guys" of the 41st millenium but, while alot of their ideas are cool, they tend to force them upon people. and thats not too nice.
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are some people who take this hobby a little too seriously. *>

I have also heard the same "Tau are overpowered" ( this was from someone who plays *Grey Knights and always tried to outshoot me and never managed to assault me ) AND "Tau suck" nonsense.

It doesn't bother me in the least, because this never comes from who I see are the best players, but from guys who chose Smurfs because they thought they were unbeatable. The Tau seem to be a bit of an unknown or not well known army and opinions seem to be created based upon only a few games played. If someone is truly a good 40k General, then the Tau can be dealt with because he knows how to deal with them.If not ,then the Tau must be overpowered, right?

There may be some armies I don't like ( ..necrons..so boring and hard to kill ! ) but I would never say that an army is overpowered ( an non-cheesy list of course ) simply because it is difficult to do well against them.
Some armies don't match up well ( grey knights and Tau are one example ) *but those of us who know the game well and don't take it too seriously don't really care.

It's a game of toy soldiers after all, and a great one at that, but there will always be those silly serious types ( you know , the ones I really like to beat )

Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Warning Label

i used to be a smurf player myself who always made fun of tau because my friend never won. but then i was at the store and figured i would kick the snot out of him with an underpowered tau forca and now i am an avid tau fan!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread