Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereals: for the greater good?
Old 16 Jul 2009, 19:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ethereals: for the greater good?

Now I know there are many ethereal haters out there but mine saved my butt many times in the game I just played. There were two objectives which were fortifications (3+ cover) and I plonked my ethereal and honour guard in it and shot away happily. I was playing guard and he had a similar idea to me and placed a large unit into his objective as well.

Now the real game winner came when my suits came under fire, two died and one passed on the re-roll the ethereal granted, that suit then proceeded to jump into the enemy fortification and attacked the guard on it. The guard failed to kill it and the game ended on that turn with him contesting the other objective, granting me a win. The re-roll also held up a squad on my flank for 2 extra turns, preventing them from attacking my objective.

I know that if he had died, many of my units would have run, but as he did not it was a good gamble to take and paid off for me.

Has anyone else had this experience with ethereals or thought of doing this?
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 21:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Ethereals: for the greater good?

Every time Ive ever used an etherial, I've regretted it.

They might be marginally better now, with LOS from a devilfish, but still, its a chunk of points that do nothing but allow leadership rerolls. I find that tau typically lose combat by enough that rerolls there are useless/unnecessary, so it's only of use against shooting. IMO, not really worthwhile, given how poorly static tau fares, and how screwed you are if he dies.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 23:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think it can work for you to take an Ethereal. Just not in the average Tau list. I would definitely consider adding one in my list if I had a few extra points. I play very Aggro Tau and having one of my Devilfish pop and the Fire Warriors get pinned can be a real problem for me.

Ethereals need something to distract your opponent from them, something that can really hurt. Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits, Piranha. They all work. Aggro and Mech tau benefit most from the Ethereal IMO. Mech because killing The Ethereal early doesn't do much as your troops are in Devilfish. When they pop out they now have bigger things to worry about. Aggro because attacking the Etherial means that anyone not running can really shoot you down. Very risky all the same but It can work.
thgog the hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 06:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr

They might be marginally better now, with LOS from a devilfish, but still, its a chunk of points that do nothing but allow leadership rerolls.
I'm not sure that it is correct. The Inspiring Presence works for units with "a line of sight to him", not the other way out. Yes, an Ethereal can see them from his transport, but allies cannot see him (just as enemies cannot shoot him), or am I wrong?
Old 17 Jul 2009, 07:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

You can measure LOS to the Devilfish, yes. It works both ways last time I checked.

To be honest it's a little bit of a grey area, but I'd roll with it.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I guess if you want to put an Ethereal in your game in a fish, model the Ethereal as the tank commander sticking out of the cupola. That solve any LOS issues neatly. ;D
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

All commander abilities are treated as coming from the vehicle in 5th ed. In other words, so long as they can see his devilfish, they're happy.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 17 Jul 2009, 16:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedrake
Quote:

They might be marginally better now, with LOS from a devilfish, but still, its a chunk of points that do nothing but allow leadership rerolls.
I'm not sure that it is correct. The Inspiring Presence works for units with "a line of sight to him", not the other way out. Yes, an Ethereal can see them from his transport, but allies cannot see him (just as enemies cannot shoot him), or am I wrong?
You are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
You can measure LOS to the Devilfish, yes. It works both ways last time I checked.

To be honest it's a little bit of a grey area, but I'd roll with it.
Not really.

The unit must be able ot see the Ethereal to be inspired by him, not the other way around. Make sense Whether you're religious leader can see yuo or not is not important as long as You can see him.

So anyone in a devilfish/transport doesn't benefit from Inspiring Precence.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
All commander abilities are treated as coming from the vehicle in 5th ed. In other words, so long as they can see his devilfish, they're happy.
As far as I remember, it's only a distance for all abilities and powers that work from vehicle is measured from its hull (page 66 of rulebook), nothing more. For example, FAQ specifically states that non-shooting psychic powers that require LOS are worked from vehicle's fire points, meaning that you can't use them without fire points, I suppose.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, there's no specific mention of it in the tau 5th ed faq.

And an etherial's ability is clearly not psychic in nature, as it does not make use of a psyc check. It's an always on ability of the etherial granting rerolls to those units within LOS.

A similar ability is corbulio's 12" furious charge bubble. Putting him in a vehicle results in the 12" being drawn from the vehicle edges, containing more area as a result.