Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1st game with tau
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2005, 09:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1st game with tau

I played my first game with tau yesterday against the new nids and I won!! he had 21 genestealers a tooled out carnifex and an evil hive tyrant and I had 32 fire warriors a devilfifh my shas o my ethereal and a 3 man stealth team. im really just looking for some tactical advice because it was a narrow victory so what did I do wrong?

it was a cleanse mission and I set up first with my small firewarrior team in the centre one in some ruins behind them and my ethereal hid behind them my shas o and his drones went near th border of my deployment zone and ''nemo'' my devilfish was next to him. my stealth team infiltrated next to a large genestealer brood.

he basically infiltrated everything but the hive tyrant and the fex and charged at me....

what should I have shot 1st? i jkillled a lot of stealers but a few still got into cc this meant that for 3 turns one fire warrior team was not shooting and thus the hive tyrant assaulted my stealth suits and his fex the other now for the highlight of the game: my fire warriors actually wounded the fex 4 times before they died leaving it open to a fusion blaster shot that killed it. nemo finished the nids offf by using the fish of fury on his hive tyrant. what do you think I know that I made some huge errors but im not sur what they are please help me....!
Old 19 Jun 2005, 14:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1st game with tau

good win for the greater good ;D

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 19 Jun 2005, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Pretty impressive given the few low AP guns you had... Oh and good for the FWs against the Carnifex, that'll show those freaky critters I haven't had a look at the new Nid codex so I can't really make too many other comments, except good stuff!

Cheers,

Kaytek
Old 19 Jun 2005, 15:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, my personal advice is to get more bodies into that army.
If you make your shas'o into an 'ui in an elite slot, then you'll have enough points for either more stealths, or another crisis suit. That way, you'll have more guns shooting at your opponent ^_^.
But the important thing is look at the role each of your units did, and determine how effective that was. Did you need to take a lot of leadership tests for you ethereal to be worth it's points? Did your stealths occupy that nasty 'nid squad long enough/killed it? Did your opponent waste turns trying to shoot at your stealths but wasn't able to? Did your crisis suit get any good amount of kills, or did act as a good decoy? How did your devilfish fare? Did it stop many assaults? Did it get torn apart in turn two?
Ask yourself all of these questions and more, and see what's your weak links in your army. If you can figure that out, then the next step is either strengthening those links, or taking them out completly. Also, see what you think you did wrong during the battle. Like, when you Stealths got assaulted by those genestealers, was it helpful, or did it hurt a lot? Should you have been moving your Fire Warriors more, or should they have stood their ground longer?
Ask yourself as many questions as you can, and try to figure out what you did wrong in making your army list, deployment, as well as decisions during battle.
Someone once said, that "The ultimate AI is one that makes mistakes." It's the same with us humans. For one to become the best, one has to make the most mistakes, and learn from them.
See what you did wrong, then learn from them. If you do this enough, then you'll be in the pro-tour in no time ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks a lot guys!!! I know the army composition is rubbish its only like that because im skint and can't afford any more models! when I have money what would you suggest I get next?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

well I would definately boost up that stealth team, and get some more kroot...

could you give a full list of all that you have (I know you mentioned it in the first post)? And also would you want to design your army to be quite 'anti-nid', or will you be playing a range of armies? (IMO its always best to have a balanced list to take on all that comes!)

Old 21 Jun 2005, 08:26   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i have to agree with '42', i took a small squad of stealth suits to a GT and my stealth suits made me more money drawing shots away from everyone else than any other single unit, they got my Tourney MVP. however i played against marines or generally shooty armies. i would elect for another crisis suit, in your situation, to get some more low AP weapons. let your FW's earn their money with the rifles, my army has between 36-42 FW's (depending on which list i use). i actually haven't much experience with 'nids - let alone the new rules; so my help is genereal at best. possible concider arming some of your suits with raid... i'm going to.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have :
32 fire warriors (8 carbines)
1 crisis with fusion missile pod shield gen and multi tracker
3 stealths
1 ethereal(conversion could be a fire warrioir if needed)
1 devilfish

Ill be playing a range of armies but mostly orks, nids, chaos, IG, and smurfs. I was thinking of getting a hammerhead or a crisis team but its only a rough idea.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I'd say the top prioreties are three more Stealths, and at least one RailHead, in that order simply because you can probably field the three extra stealths a lot faster than a brand new RailHead ^_^.
A second, or a third crisis can come quite in handy, as you do have the points to spare at the moment.
If you take these starting units, then you'd be pretty well set up for a 1k army.
Options include swapping the extra crisis for a second squad of Stealths, or the other way around if you're not satisfied with your stealths sofar. If you take out the stealths though, then I'd suggest getting more Fire Warriors to fill in the lack of pulse fire. Also, you can exchange all of that for a squad or two of Kroot, as they're one of the best ways to just put in a lot of sheer fire into any army. They infiltrate, they've got great weapons, they're cheap as hell, and they can survive a long time with cover ^_^.

I've been wondering, but what do you mean by your can convert your Ethereal into a FW if you needed to? The models are pretty different, and it's generally not worth it, as you're defiling a precious "Holy Guide to the Greater Good" into a lowly FW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?