Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Hounds
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2005, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Kroot Hounds

I see that Kroot Hounds aren't used often. Why? The point of the Kroot is to infiltrate and strike the enemy in CC, and Hounds are good at it. They cannot shoot, but have the same stats as Carnivores, and +1 I and are a point less costwise. If you use them right, Hounds can cause havoc to a fallen back enemy with the Release the Hounds rule, weakening the weakness of the Carnivores. Is it because it takes up space, or is it something else? ???

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 17:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Kroot Hounds

Black Behemoth:

The basic Kroot combined with Kroot hounds are a great unit ensemble. They're cheap and have a load of good attacks, they infiltrate and have all those goodies still too. Why aren't they used so often? Well, the basic Kroot also is good at shooting, and hounds are not as they don't have a ranged weapon of any kind. Hounds are purely for combat, or for casualty removal. Kroot that are dedicated to be in combat would benefit from having hounds all over. However, Kroot in cover aren't going to make a huge use of Hounds, because it would be better to have more guns for a single point more in that situation.

The other reason a lot of people don't have Hounds, is cost. They're metal models and they come in small blisters. For only 8 Hounds, you could buy 16 Kroot pretty much. So when it comes down to it, most people simply would rather buy loads of Kroot for cheaper than buying loads of metal hounds, which require Kroot.

Kroot hounds are, however a great fast attack slot option if you already have Kroot in your army and you need to fill out numbers, if you don't care for Gun Drones or Pathfinders.

So really, it comes down to money most likely. And it comes down to versatility, as the hounds can only be used in combat effectively, as otherwise, they're just fodder. That's not all that bad, but Kroot are just as cheap almost and have weapons that can cause damage, which makes them fodder or attacker, which is much more beneficial to an army.

Cheers!
Old 18 Jun 2005, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i like them if i have 12 or 6pts left over i will take some they look cool too O0

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Something I just found while nosing through the MSN group Kompletely Kroot <http://groups.msn.com/KompletelyKroot/>, I found a link to the Chapter Approved for "Native Hunting Beasts" <http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapter...ure-feature/7/>, which would allow any unit leaders to take kroot hounds, granted at about double the cost.

Perhaps not very worthwhile point-wise, but if your fluff (which, BTW, I hate that word) detail a lot of interaction between Tau and Kroot, it might make a cool part of your theme.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 18 Jun 2005, 20:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A few reasons why players don't take Kroot Hounds
1) They take up a fast attack choice
2) They cost the same as a Kroot Warrior
3) Their special rules are pointless...
Those are only a few I can think of right now...perhaps others will lend a hand...
Old 19 Jun 2005, 04:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Their biggest downfall in my opinion is the lack of a gun. I totally disagree with "The point of the Kroot is to infiltrate and strike the enemy in CC, and Hounds are good at it."
The point of kroot is to distract the enemy and slow down the enemy assault. Kroot are not an offensive CC unit - they just don't have the right stats. You need good armour, toughness or speed to perform that role. They have none of these. They are a counter assault unit, and they perform best by sitting in cover with their rapid fire weapons where they belong.

Zustiur.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 05:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zustiur
Their biggest downfall in my opinion is the lack of a gun. I totally disagree with "The point of the Kroot is to infiltrate and strike the enemy in CC, and Hounds are good at it."
The point of kroot is to distract the enemy and slow down the enemy assault. Kroot are not an offensive CC unit - they just don't have the right stats. You need good armour, toughness or speed to perform that role. They have none of these. They are a counter assault unit, and they perform best by sitting in cover with their rapid fire weapons where they belong.

Zustiur.
what better why to distract them then to tie them up in CC like a Space Marine Devastator sqaud in CC with about 2 sqauds of 12 kroot will be fight them while your HH or broadside take out enmemy tanks with out having to worrie about the Space Marine Devastator Squad

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 19 Jun 2005, 06:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think Kroot Hounds are a staple to any Kroot Carnivore squad. In most situations, no matter how hard you try to keep them out of hand to hand, it's inevitable. And if your Kroot are on the move to support a Tau squad that has fallen into hand-to-hand, you'll soon appreciate why you brought a few along.

First of, they cost less than Kroot. Albiet 1 point, but there are plenty of players who won't let you field an army 1 point over the agreed amount. Not that's always a factor... but anyway.

Second, and I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this, but they are Initiative 4! This is a big deal when it comes to assaulting armies like Ork, IG, or just about any low Init. army that grins when they assault Tau. Kroot hounds add a nasty surprise of three Str. 4, Init. 4 attacks on the charge. And that can make the difference.

Obviously the idea of Kroot Hounds is not to replace the Kroot, but give them that added power in h2h when they must respond to a Fire Warrior unit in trouble. I've ran Blood Angels out of hand to hand when their 8 man squad was in hth with 6 of my remaining Fire Warriors and a 24 model squad of kroot w/4 hounds come in swinging and biting. Those teeth can rip 1 or 2 marines down instead of usual of Kroot getting hacked down before they can even attack.

And when they run, you cannot tell me the mental image of fleeing marines getting bit in the a$$ by Kroot Hounds doesn't stir you with some form of pride/humor, specially when an enemy model dies from it. ;D

-SaturN
Old 19 Jun 2005, 12:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
what better why to distract them then to tie them up in CC like a Space Marine Devastator sqaud in CC with about 2 sqauds of 12 kroot will be fight them while your HH or broadside take out enmemy tanks with out having to worrie about the Space Marine Devastator Squad
If you can get 2 squads of kroot within 12" of an enemy devastator squad, your opponent isn't trying.

Zustiur.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 13:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zustiur
Their biggest* downfall in my opinion is the lack of a gun. I totally disagree with "The point of the Kroot is to infiltrate and strike the enemy in CC, and Hounds are good at it."

Zustiur.
In the Tau Codex, it states clearly that the Tau philosophy is to never waste soldiers. Putting a Kroot squad in front of a fire warrior squad not only makes them utterly useless, but is a large waste of points. Look below.
P1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
l Enemy
l
l
l -------------------- ---------------------
l l l l l
l l l l l
l l l l l
l Kroot
l
l Fire Warriors
l-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doing this just makes the Kroot pawns so you can get some extra shots out. But...

P2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
l Enemy
l
l
l l l l l
l l l l l
l l l l l
l Kroot
l
l Fire Warriors
l-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you infiltrate a 20 man squad in cover, your opponent might think twice about trying to engage in close combat. Once they move up, move out, shoot them, and then claw them to death. With Kroot Hounds, this makes the CC even more useful. It would look like this.
P3
l
l l
l l
l -------------------- l ---------------------
l l l l l l
l l l l l l
l l l V l l
l -------------------- Enemy ---------------------
l -------->Kroot
l
l Fire Warriors
The Kroot would probably eventually die, but unlike P1, they make use of their better CC. The Tau like the Kroot for their CC skills, and Kroot Hounds are better than normal Kroot at CC, making the squad more useful.

But, can you have a 20 man Carnivore Squad with 5 Kroot Hounds attached to it?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread