Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for dest...
View Poll Results: In the Tau Storyline topic, the origins of the Tau have been discussed, your conclusion?
Created by The Old Ones 19 26.03%
Created by The C`tan 1 1.37%
Created by The Slann 5 6.85%
Natural evolution/processes & luck 44 60.27%
None of the above, please post your view 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2005, 10:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for dest...

Now, this topic is meant to deduce the general idea of the Tau`s origin.

If you vote, could you please post up the full story of what you believe happened. If its already up, there`s no need to repost. It could be I missed possibilities, feel free to post up a different explanation.

Could everyone please refrain from debating and questioning in this topic? The theories only please.

For inspiration, please check the following link http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=8188.0

Hopefully we can get some insight in the possibilities

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for des

This quote was inpird by a topic I started a while ago. So the title says.
UPon looking at the posts that came from my observation, I narrowed it down to two possibilites.
1. They were a last creation of the old ones
2. The Slann, who I don't know much about so I'm not sure about this even, could have brought there hand into it as well.

I don't see why so many people have said natural evolution, becasue tau evolution was not "natural. It was hyper speeded!!!! They evolved into four divernt sub-species of strikingly difernt characteristics in 6000 years. Not natural. For humans to get to the seond milenium AD, it took millions of years, form our 'cave man' days. Now for those who were confused when I say 'cave man days' I mean from the begginings of man. A lot of people were thinking neolithic man, 10,000 years ago, which is basically what we are at the present. We are the same as we were 12-10,000 years ago. The tau changed drastically in almost half that time. So natural evolution just isn't really an option. Nothing about it was natural.

The only problem with the old ones theory is that none of us are sure, when the tau were created and when the old ones left the galaxy. In fact, some of us aren't even sure all the old ones have left yet...

The Slann one I must put up becasue of the big brother link the eldar have with the tau. The slann trained the eldar. Did they implant in them, better care for the tau, or something like that? ultimently I think the old ones thing is more likely though
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for des

The slann were servants of the old ones... I don't think they should be a seperate choice.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmar
The slann were servants of the old ones... I don't think they should be a seperate choice.
hmmm... good point then
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I voted Other or None of the above. However, I'll at least try to explain in a very brief manner why.

The Tau are heavily based on a very fast evolution, but it was not a genetic one. It was a cultural one. Something has influenced the Tau in a way that has changed how they communicate as a species. Nothing made them better at shooting, or faster, or more technologically advanced that stems from a real psychical root. They were warring amongst their tribes long before the Ethereals appeared. That's the turning point for the Tau though. These mysterious "others" who united them, changed their culture, changed the system and controls virtually everything. And now they're operating like a bee hive almost. The genetic differences amongst the different casts is a deliberate tampering of genetic modification that they learned and developed. They refer to it in the fluff too as it's how they "design" their casts to physically suite their role. Anyhow, reading too far into it, one can just give it some thought and consider that they're still just a bunch of warring tribesmen, but they've been taught a new way to do things, and psychically they were already capable of what they're doing now - they just weren't organized in a way which would allow them a strict system that could stream line a universal effort to "get things done." And they do not produce perfect technology over night. They test and test and re-test, and Tau die during this process and their losses are mourned. But they strive harder and harder to keep perfecting their tools.

What brought about this change in the Tau? Well, obviously the Ethereals started it (or so it would seem). So really, what effected the Ethereals so... or what created them basically? I think it has something to do with the Warp, but I think perhaps the Ethereals were touched by the Warp during the warp storms, but that perhaps instead of meeting chaos, they instead were presented with "something else." And that something else is the "other" that I voted for. Whatever it was that changed the Ethereals to do what they did, ended up altering the course of the Tau history and made them what they are now. All it took was a little culture change, and they rocketed forward from the stone age to the 40k universe and beyond.

Cheers!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmar
The slann were servants of the old ones...* I don't think they should be a seperate choice.
Slann in 40k are a little different than their Fantasy counterparts. They don't look much like the Fantasy Slann, and they don't have the same background. I am not sure which race the poll was referring to.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for dest...

And on a note, Tau were discovered 6,000 years ago to have fire something that primitive man didn't have till very late on. Were talking Neanderthal (horrible misspelled, sorry) As far as fast evolution theory, its rather reasonable think that. But the curve ball is the Ethereals. Also for quick genetics, look at the human race. less than half the time tau had and except for the air caste, we can be seen having the same things. We have tall humans that are good at fighting, and humans that can build, and humans that are persuasive. Except for air which is new in human history, tau society isn't that different in comparison
Old 22 Jun 2005, 05:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to kungfuwookie

any pictures of the old ones? what if the tau ethereals were old ones?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 15:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Solhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuwookie
any pictures of the old ones? what if the tau ethereals were old ones?
Thats a strange twist but, well, who knows?

and what i have been reading is that the orcs was made of the old ones as protectors?
and eldar? i have no idea. maybe for the lack of CC ;D

Wonder what GW have in mind for the The old one fluff
Old 22 Jun 2005, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The reason why Tau are so advanced, inspired by: Tau Storyline: bred for dest...

The Old Ones created Humanity, Eldar, and the Orks, with Orks being one of a number of races created hastily as the Old Ones began to lose their war. They also had a hand in bringing Chaos into its current form, a desperate weapon against the Necrontyr led by the C'Tan. We do not know if they had a hand in the creation of the Tyranids or the Tau, since both races are newly arrived in the galaxy, long after the last Old One vanished.
Closed Thread