Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics Against Terminators
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2005, 04:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tactics Against Terminators

Hi. I'm new here, but have had a Tau army for a few months know. A frined of mine plays Space Marines and claims that they can teleport anywhere on the board for no cost and whenever they want. Is this true? If yes, how do I combat them and their powerfists?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tactics Against Terminators

Your friend is a cheating bag of dirt.

To teleport termies, you need a model with a teleportation beacon. That model (a) Costs alot of points and (b) must be very close to your lines to use the ability. If he refuses to show you the rules that allow him to supposedly do this, refuse to show him your codex and claim that all your Crisis suits have BS5, and that your plasma rifles have Strength 10 and a Melta effect at rapidfire range.

About plasma rifles: Use them, they negate Termi armour. Same for Fusion Blasters, and they can fry Landraiders if he carries his T-squads around in them.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, to sum it up quickly, yes, they can -_-.
To be specific, the Terminators can. The Terminators have the ability to deep-strike, just like the assault marines (I think), but they "teleport" into battle fluff-wise. They cannot, however, teleport again later on, unless there's such an upgrade, but I am currently unaware of such thing.
The only army that can acutally teleport it's guys during battle as far as I know are the Necrons, but it's pretty expensive and limited from what I know.
So, in the end, the only part of the "Teleporting SMurfs" you need to worry about is the initial deep-striking.
Now, to counteract it is done easily by placing transports close to your Fire Warriors, and run them away once the Termies appear. The Crisis and Stealths though, are the real targets for Termies, and should be moved carefully when during your turn. Remember, that if a Deep-Striking squad "lands" ontop or close to one of your own models, that squad dies instantly. Close up your formations to take advantage of this, but don't make it too close to bait any fast units to sweep right though them. Next, keep any key models close to the table corners or edges, as they give a chance for the deep-strikers to "fall off" of the table, killing them again.
Well, that's all I can think of for now as anti-deepstriking ^_^.

Oh, also watch out for drop-pods, as they're a model that let's a SMurf player deep-strike many units and their Dreadnoughts for a reasonable/cheap price.

Also, about what Myrrath said, the beacon is only five points from what I know. It's cheap, and is kinda amasing how often it isn't used. Also, you don't acutally need the beacons to DS a squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 18 Jun 2005, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

My friend said that deep-striking can be used, even if the mission dosen't permit it, and that everyone in his arensel can deep strike. I doubt this, but is it true?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 05:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
My friend said that deep-striking can be used, even if the mission dosen't permit it, and that everyone in his arensel can deep strike. I doubt this, but is it true?
Well, first of all, not everything can deep-strike, as a LandRaider deep-striking is pretty rediculous.
Also, they cannot deep-strike unless if the mission permits it, and as you can in most regular shoot-up mission.
However, the ony other things you can deep-strike are SMurf squads less than ten models, up to five Termies, or a single Dreadnought in a Drop-Pod.
If you friend tries to pull a fast one on you again, just ask that person to show you and prove to you why this can be done, or whatever ^_^. If there' s no proof of it being able to be done, then there's really no argument ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 18 Jun 2005, 06:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As always, ask for where it says that in the codex/rules/faq/official site (and his army list!). If its not there, or he can't find it, it most likely doesn't exist..
Old 18 Jun 2005, 10:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
Well, first of all, not everything can deep-strike, as a LandRaider deep-striking is pretty rediculous.
Also, they cannot deep-strike unless if the mission permits it, and as you can in most regular shoot-up mission.
However, the ony other things you can deep-strike are SMurf squads less than ten models, up to five Termies, or a single Dreadnought in a Drop-Pod.
If you friend tries to pull a fast one on you again, just ask that person to show you and prove to you why this can be done, or whatever ^_^. If there' s no proof of it being able to be done, then there's really no argument ^_^.
Sorry Tsumishi, but you`r wrong (if I read your post correctly). Terminators ALWAYS get to DS, even if the mission doesn`t allow it. I`m not sure why, but its so. Unless I was lied to as well o`course.

PS: But terminators are not that tough for Tau. Superior range, firepower and mobility. Usually you kill a termie per FW salvo, and use the rapid-fire range as a que to start moving backwards. 5 salvo`s, they`re gone.

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 18 Jun 2005, 11:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Also, if the player buys drop-pod(s), he can deep strike any dreadnought or marines he likes, even if the mission doesn't allow it.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 11:10   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

and the "whenever and wherever" thing has its limitations, as per the section on deepstriking in the rulebook.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 13:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Theres a lot of INCORRECT advice been given here. I won't point it out but I'll just say that your friend isn't even bending the rules, he's downright cheating and deserves to be shot. If you've won a game with this guy you must be amazing

* He cannot randomly move his Termy squad from 1 location to another 'just like that'.
* Termy's can always deep strike.
* Deep strike means they start in reserve and can be dropped in when they are available.
* They can scatter and the location picked is not always the one where they land.

As for how to deal with them I posted a Tactica somewhere. It's up to you to find it though, I'm knackered