Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Smart missile system
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Smart missile system

Because smart missile systems don't need a line of sight does that mean that they can decide to target a certain armour part eg. they are too weak to even glance the front armour of a smurf dread but can they decide to target the back armour where they are able to penetrate
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Smart missile system

I thing that this doesn't work, you are able to ignore any obstacle in way (including your own model so you can fire for example bacwards (and of course behind woods, hills etc) but you resolve the hit against armor value you are facing. so you can't hit rear armor if you are standing in front of that vehicle.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

No, but its assumed it travels in a direct line from firer to target. No looping around the back etc. This is all in the codex btw.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the thing that annoys me is when you use a marker light to guide in a SMS or SM... it hits the armour in a straight line from the firer even if the markerlight is pointing at the back.... surely it would hit where the markerlight is pointing. Ahh well thoses are the rules and thats what we have to live with ... also suppose it means that the oponent cant argue and say "well how come you get 2+ to hit when the missile cant even see where the light is pointing"

ahwell!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

No one said the tank isn't doing donuts did they? Even if its not represented on the tabletop, It could still do it inbetween turns etc :P
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This seems like a stupid argument, next thing you'll be saying is:

"My Pathfidners are like snipers so can't they aim at a Character with a Markelight and headshot him with a SMS or 4 and instakill him? If not why not? Can I shoot Bloodthirsters legs to make them count os Immobile?"

:P

Think about it, A vehcile that moves 12 inches, can fire A Railgun at STR10 AP1 and can also always hit the back of a Vehicle if it is in RANGE not LOS i.e. around cover. The idea seems like overkill to me.

There are a LOT of things that could be changed, but the game would be ridiculously unbalanced. However, there is nothing to stop you using such rules when your at home with friends. "I sniped your Pred with my SMS, no its not cheese because your SM scouts can snipe my driver". If you wanted more realism it would be easy to inject it in a basic manner, it just would make the game very different (duh)

Good Luck and I hope you get more info.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 14:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Just line of sight so front if thats what facing you
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that would be cool. Look the missle missed us wait it coming back around lookout bam !
;D

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 17 Jun 2005, 07:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Have any of you boys used hammerhead with sms in a jungle ... its just unfair! well i would say that but the deathworld vets enemy insisted i used my standard list (my army is hardly geared towards jungle warfare... no sensor spines or kroot) because supposedly its an "all comers list"... so i thought "well if you want the standard list.. you can deal with what comes with it" ... the hammerheads hovering above the canopy and raining Smart missiles from above...

result of the battle: i panned him in with smart missiles and prevented him from taking any open ground until turn 5 at which point i rushed forward with everyting i had (which was pretty much everything i started with) and took the objective.

fun fun fun

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi0N

Think about it, A vehcile that moves 12 inches, can fire A Railgun at STR10 AP1 and can also always hit the back of a Vehicle if it is in RANGE not LOS i.e. around cover. The idea seems like overkill to me.

just to clarify i was only talking about SM and SMS ... not rail guns or other direct fire weapons
Old 17 Jun 2005, 07:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

I don't normally field a heavy slot with the sms.

I have it on my broadside team, but I have a target lock on the last hardpoint. So I can shoot my railguns or my sms. More often I choose my railguns.

In my little hammerhead, I always choose to field them with burst cannons. 6 shots compared to 4 . Same strangth and same ap, I just get 2 more shots with the burst cannons.

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Closed Thread