Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commander config?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jun 2005, 14:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Commander config?

hey up, got the core of my force up and running however im having a bit of a bother picking out the weaponry for my commander

ive looked thru the archive and theres plenty of info about the normal crisis teams but no mention of any commanders.

and i wondering if any of u could give us a hand
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Commander config?

The consensus of this board is oen that I agree on; Fireknife rules all. The Shas'O is VERY expensive, and not that worth it except in large battles.

My configuration is as follows: (110 pts)
Shas'El
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Shield Generator
Hardwired Multi Tracker

Cheaper still to fit a small budget: (85 pts)
Shas'El
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi Tracker

If you want a heavily-protected, high-points tank, here's my Shas'O: (159 pts)
Shas'O
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Fusion Blaster
HW Multi-Tracker
HW Drone Controller
2x Shield Drones
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A plasma rifle is almost essential to a commander, as you can take maximum advantage of it's boosted BS, but the rest more based on your army and play style.
If you already have a lot of anti-armour, then maybe a burst cannon is better.
If you think you can be quick on your feet, then a fusion blaster might work for you.
The plasma rifle is really just an all-rounder anti-power armour weapon, but also a personal faverite.
Flamer is best left for other units, as they're cheap, but don't take advantage of your commander's boosted stats.
The missile pod is really just an anti-light armour weapon, but you'll probably have enough of that already.
And I'd avoid hard-wired equiptment if possible, as you'll end up spending a lot of points if you do.

Well, that's my suggestions...
Hope it helps ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Iron Wolf:

That all depends on what you want your Commander to do. Also, it depends greatly on which Commander you take. For example, if you want your Commander to punish power armored foes, you will probably be packing on the low ap weapons and calling it a day. However, if your Commander is taking a more distance approach to it all, then missile pods would be a better idea. If your Commander is taking a more anti-armor role, then perhaps the fusion blaster would be a choice for you. And if your Commander is facing hordes of low armored troops, maybe a Burst Cannon / Missile Pod setup is something that you could consider.

So really - you should configure your Commander so that he's best at doing something that you want him to do. Versatility can be nice, but many times that means only half of your Commander's abilities are really being used.

So here's some examples:

[hr]

Commanders - Heavy Infantry Hunter (IE: Low AP)

[table][tr]
[td]Shas'El - A (83)
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td] ::
::
:: [/td]
[td]Shas'El - B (94)
Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
Shield Generator[/td]
[td]Shas'O - C (108)
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Multi-tracker[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td]
[td]A - A cheap commander, built just to beat down anything with an armor save, very quickly. Used for intercepting fast moving units, or responding to deep strikes. Typically one would do something like this when preparing to destroy terminators, assault marines, hive tyrants, dreadnoughts, etc.

B - This commander is a rough commander, who may take some punishment, so he has his invulnerable save (an expensive one) and a twin-linked plasma rifle to ensure he burns bodies each turn. This type of commander may be the type that is joined by a retinue to hunt on their own, or for deep striking and removing a good portion of a key unit quickly.

C - The Shas'O is simply a more reliable version, as he can burn off up to 3 marines quite easily, or 3 terminators if they fail their save. For his price, he's not that terrible, as he can take down hordes of high armor saving foes in a blink of an eye.[/td][/tr][/table]

Commanders - Low Armor Infantry Hunters (IE: Most Shots Possible)

[table][tr]
[td]Shas'El - A (79)
Burst Cannon
Missile Pods
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - B (81)
Burst Cannon
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - C (101)
Burst Cannon
Missile Pods
Multi-tracker
Hard-wired Drone Controller
Gundrones x 2[/td]
[td]Shas'El - D (93)
Burst Cannon
Flamer
Multi-tracker
Gundrones x 2[/td]
[td]Shas'O - E (104)
Burst Cannon
Missile Pods
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'O - F (106)
Burst Cannon
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'O - G (126)
Burst Cannon
Missile Pods
Multi-tracker
Gundrones x 2[/td]
[td]Shas'O - H (128)
Burst Cannon
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
Gundrones x 2[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td]
[td]A - A really well equipped commander, who can take down up to 5 victims, but typically will take less. With his range, he can easily take on targets from the 24 inch range, which is great when considering you may be shooting at Gaunts, Guardians, Guardsmen, etc.

B - This setup is merely to have more close range fire power, while keeping your maximum range limited so that the wounds are pulled from the front lines of squads which can make a big difference against beast class units.

C - This Commander is really bringing up the small arms firepower with a total of 7 possible shots from him and his drones, so we can take down quite a few targets and force a pinning check.

D - This Commander is more of a classic example, but really not as used anymore due to the Flamer being a "no-no" weapon many times. However, if he was up close and personal with poor infantry, he would massacre loads of them (easily ripping apart 8 guardsmen for example).

E - The Shas'O hits the scene with the same setup, but more accuracy, as he will easily remove 5 casualties at the 24 inch range.

F - Another Shas'O, but with less range to keep the casualties close at hand, and very accurate.

G - This Commander is the same as before, but more accurate of course, able to force a total of 7 wounds upon something, and a pinning test.

H - This Shas'O is there for the close range fire fight game, where he outputs 6 shots at close range and pins.[/td][/tr][/table]

Commanders - Anti-Armor (IE: Vehicle Destruction)

[table][tr]
[td]Shas'El - A (76)
Twin-linked Missile Pods
Target Lock[/td]
[td]Shas'El - B (81)
Missile Pods
Fusion Blaster
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - C (92)
Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
Missile Pods
Hard-wired Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - D (88)
Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
Shield Generator[/td]
[td]Shas'O - E (106)
Missile Pods
Fusion Blaster
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'O - F (131)
Missile Pods
Fusion Blaster
Shield Generator
Hard-wired Multi-tracker[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td]
[td]A - This Commander is much like how an elite version would look, as he simply stands back, hides and unleashes the missile pods each turn. We also took the target locks, not just to fill a hard point (where a flamer could be), but in case we join another squad (such as drones) to allow ourselves to keep our attention elseware.

B - This Shas'El can do many things, from hitting armor from far away and up close, as well as the ability to deep strike to really take down an armored target.

C - Another Shas'El, but much more focused on his Fusion, which may lead him to be more of a deep striking commander, then simply using missile pods to hit targets while he moves to his next fusion blaster target's goal.

D - This Commander is a runner. He moves straight for tanks, where his fusion hits on que. Otherwise, he could be a pure deep striker, using his shield generator to attempt to shrug off any retaliation.

E - Our Shas'O comes to the board the as the Shas'El, but much more accurate with his weaponry, as he can easily unleash torrents of heavy hitting missile pods and then slam that fusion into the face of an armored threat (such as a dreadnought) that arrives too closely.

F - The final Shas'O is more of a Deep Striker, or runner, as he's more protected by the shield generator, and armed the usual tank busting arsenal.[/td][/tr][/table]

Commanders - Versatility (IE: Do-it-alls)

[table][tr]
[td]Shas'El - A (85)
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - B (81)
Fusion Blaster
Missile Pods
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - C (77)
Fusion Blaster
Burst Cannons
Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'El - D (75)
Missile Pods
Flamer
Muli-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'O - E (127)
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Missile Pods
Hard-wired Multi-tracker[/td]
[td]Shas'O - F (125)
Burst Cannon
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pods
Hard-wired Multi-tracker[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td]
[td]A - This Commander is your standard and classic Fire Knife, able to punish armor, punish infantry and be able to effect almost all targets he comes across.

B - This Shas'El is also very versatile as well as an armor hunter, because from range, he can slam into infantry or tanks, and up close, he can dominate armor and still blast away infantry (with the ability to insta-kill T4 characters on hand).

C - Now this Shas'El is up to doing everything possible in the game. He can break armor, or burn off infantry (from land raiders to gretchen), doing it all up close and personal like.

D - This Commander his from afar with missile pods, but up close, he lays down templates, which can be very useful for rooting out enemies in cover, and still having the ability to send missile pods down field at larger targets as well.

E - The Shas'O screams versatility with his raw stats and the ability to take many weapons, and choosing which two to use each turn. In this case, we can hit from far away with missile pods until we're close enough, then we can switch to pure low ap goodness. He can break transports, landraiders, terminators, or infantry without any trouble at all.

F - Another very versatile Shas'O who has the ability to slam transports, and then spread out the dakka both low Ap and not with his burst cannon and plasma up close.[/td][/tr][/table]

[hr]

Now these are just examples of some of the things you could do, as I have given them all a goal or purpose in the game, before the game starts. Sometimes, you can't always do that, because the situation changes, but having a plan can be a big help when making decisions. Commanders have talents that the rest of the army do not, in that they can be very accurate without the aid of twin-linking or markerlights, so putting those raw powerful stats to their best use would be in the best interest of serving the Greater Good.

Good luck and Cheers!
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

F on you post for Versatility is the one i use the most i love that Commander ;D

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
F on you post for* Versatility* is the one i use the most i love that Commander* ;D
I honestly didn't understand that...please clarify... :P
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'u'nat
Quote:
F on you post for Versatility is the one i use the most i love that Commander ;D
I honestly didn't understand that...please clarify... :P
on MalVeauX post i use the commander config F out of the Versatility choices is that better ?

Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
on MalVeauX post i use the commander config F out of the* Versatility choices is that better ?
Much! ;D And yes, choice "F" seems to be the obivious choice... :

Mal:
I'm quite dissappiointed that you did not have my Infamous Commander in the Heavy Infantry Hunter section. :P
Shas'el - Twin Linked Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, HW Multi-Tracker. He's good for bot Heavy Infantry and armour...
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'u'nat
Quote:
on MalVeauX post i use the commander config F out of the Versatility choices is that better ?
Much! ;D And yes, choice "F" seems to be the obivious choice... :

Mal:
I'm quite dissappiointed that you did not have my Infamous Commander in the Heavy Infantry Hunter section. :P
Shas'el - Twin Linked Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, HW Multi-Tracker. He's good for bot Heavy Infantry and armour...
i use that commander too aunat ;D

Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

A'u'Nat:

No worries, I can't cover everything out there. It's why I simply said they're a few examples to help give Iron Wolf an idea of what he could do with a commander, in terms of a goal, or just being inspired to try something new other than highly used builds, such as fire knife.

Personally, Commanders are some of the best transport busters in our list (for me), so I typically rig them just for that while my other suits play mop-up to make a nice spread out of the juicy innards of the transport when it cracks. So typically, you'll find my Commanders to have twin-linked Missile pods and a target lock, just to have a cheap, very accurate armor buster that doesn't have to hide (leaving plenty of room for stealthsuits). But that's just me

Cheers!