Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my head!
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jun 2005, 11:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my head!

Like I said there is a marine player who literally drops dreads and marines on my head. To top it off there are bikes on the way as well. What do i do?

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 15 Jun 2005, 13:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my head!

Kill them! Missile pods and railguns are great for popping dreadnought, and your standard pulse rifle fire is enough to deal with bikers. throw in an ion cannon, and a markerlight and they're toast.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my head!

Like Dread said, most of the Tau arsenol are good in this situation. Crisis suits and vehicles generally have plenty of weapons to deal with any armour that's dropped into your lines, as well as your FWs and Stealhs are enough to deal with anything else. Pathfinders become especially useful in a situation like this, as you can fire Seekers at the armour, or you can help guide other units in taking down those bikes and other SMurfs ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait a moment... If he is dropping the drop pods directly on your models, last time I checked the droppers are destroyed in the process, unless rules changed.
One great topic for this is "How do I deal with a deep strike SM list"
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my hea

Bikes can't deepstrike. And unless he's got the drop-pod models, technically neither can anything else.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think he means that the Dreads Deep Striked in a drop pod with a squad of marines or five, along with a bunch of bikes that rode across the map. Unless this was a really big map, I could see this happen quite easily, and become a pretty big problem if not handled well up to, and when the Deep Strike comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: please help me there is a marine player who literally drops dreads on my hea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
Bikes can't deepstrike.* And unless he's got the drop-pod models, technically neither can anything else.
Bikes can move pretty bloody fast, though.* And if you're saying that we should spend more on FW drop pods than on the rest of our armies, you should realy get off, no offence.* Use a plastic lunch container, they are a few (hundred) dollars cheaper.

If you get caught between drop pods and bikes, move forward and through the areas the bikes aren't covering, they won't be too hard to fry to bits.* When the drop pods come in, if you are a fair way across the map they can do three things:* Drop them in their zone and let you fall back, drop them in your zone and let you claim their LZ, or drop them in the middle.* If this happens you can move out in all directions and pour fire from all sides.

EDIT in response to Mal:
I admit, I was unthinkingly gearing my reply to a XV-suit heavy mech army like my own and forgetting that I don't even know what type of list you have, tell us what you've got to fight back with and we can be more helpful.

If you're playing an an obscenely high-points game, a wall of 60 Kroot across the front of your deployment zone seems to work...
Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tyrehire:

There are probably a dozen ways to deal with this situation, but none of them will be useful unless we know what is in your army list. You should give us a run down of your army list, and the points of the game so that we can better mold the tactical aid to you. Otherwise, you'll receive undoable advise all afternoon

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!
Old 15 Jun 2005, 17:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
There are probably a dozen ways to deal with this situation, but none of them will be useful unless we know what is in your army list. You should give us a run down of your army list, and the points of the game so that we can better mold the tactical aid to you. Otherwise, you'll receive undoable advise all afternoon
I concur...A army list would be most helpful; plus it saves time for us to answer it one way...not a bazillion!

However, the "best" way to deal with Drop Marines is to stay mobile. He's probably droping in close combat units, correct? Then counter it by flying like the wind! ;D
Old 16 Jun 2005, 02:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com

Hi im the guy that "drops dreads on his head"

What i do is drop a dread next to his firewarriors and next turn assualt. His battlesuits are tied up from bikes

We play 500 points or somethimes 750. I use captain, assualt or bikes (or both!), 2 marine squads and 1 dread
He uses 1 firewarriors, 1 kroot, 1 hammerhead, 3 battlesuits. Note that he max's his battlesutis out so they take up about 250 points! My plan is simple, Take out the battle suits with marines squads and bikes, Melta bomb his tank with my assualt, and finish it off with dreads. Simple O0