Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha Base Size (maybe) equals doom to assault armies
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Piranha Base Size (maybe) equals doom to assault armies

I currently do not have any Piranhas in my arsenal but I am looking to pick up 8 of them here shortly to teach these mangy Orks a Lesson in manners via Flechette Dispensers.

Can someone tell me the size of the Base for the Piranha as my plan is:

Use the 4" coherency to my advantange and interlink my Piranha Squadrons so that my oponent will be forced to assault both instead of one. Xs being first squad and Os being the second. This way I fire of 8! Flechette dispersers per assaulting model.

xoxoxoxo

Then in the background my commander and DF mounted FWs stay away from assault range.

Edit: Or am I wrong with 8 launchers all firing on the same mob of Orks.
NikoTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default Re: Piranha Base Size (maybe) equals doom to assault armies

Personally, I don't see the point of having 8, you would get roughly the same effect with half of the number of Pirahnas. I like Pirahnas, I have 3, but I would only give one or two of them Fletchettes, and use the others to surround, that way they are forced to retreat, only they can't so are destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The greatest thing about Piranha's is the fact they're so wide for what the cost. You could very likely surround a squad and then smash them to pieces with a Devilfish; but I think this requires a tank, I think its in the rule book where it states various actions you can do with a tank, but a tank exclusively--like rolling (or hovering) over units to their deaths. But you better hope they don't have a power first or other tank destorying weapon before you use that tactic because of death or glory. I think this tactic has been called the "Feeding Frenzy"; an apt name considering the Piranha.

As to whether you can force him to attack the second squad of Piranha, no. He cannot be forced to attack them. Except by some battle influence or situation you force him into a posisiton to make him WANT to attack the second squad as well.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Devil Fish are Tanks just like Rhinos, razorbacks and more traditional looking tanks.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The problem with Tank shocking them into oblivion is that the orks that have been a royal pain in my buttocks are fearless until i weed them down to 10 out of 24. They're nearly a pure assault army (or at least in 3 games he has only ever shot twice) and the player also likes to spread his forces out to religate down my template droping ability. Also duely noted is the fact that he only has 5 kill points on the board.

Two of my ties with him to date have had him with 1 or 2 models left on the board and tied for kill points. I'd really like to wipe 1/3 of his forces off the board in turn when he assaults then use the Piranhas as a shield doubting that he'll be dumb enough to assault them a second time completely denying him any kill points while I shoot away at his troops.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoTeen
Edit: Or am I wrong with 8 launchers all firing on the same mob of Orks.
you're right!

I suggest that you buy them on ebay, or through a quantity discounter like chaosmailorder.com, as they will be expensive otherwise.

I own 5 of them (paid $75 after shipping via ebay) and have been using them very effectively against hoard armies such as guard and tyranids.

don't feel like you need to give them many upgrades if you use them in this manner as they will die. I give them target array, Flechette dispersers and then move 12" my first turn and sit within their assault range, tempting them. Then I shoot all of my guns (drones count as passengers, so they shoot too) 25 BS4 AP5 shots means that they lose a few guys to wounds (sometimes enough to force leadership, but not always) and want them dead. so they assault, tee hee, pick up five dice and hand them five dice and start pointing at models, every model has to make the number of armour saves you roll (4+ to wound with flechettes). you can significantly reduce the number of assaults that your vehicles take. then, since your viehcles moved 12" they can only hit on 6, and then they only glance with strength 4 or higher stuff, and reguardless of the out come if they lost more than 25% of their unit (due to those flechettes) then they roll for moral check at the end of the phase, and ir's -1 for the difference between number you lose vs number they lose (those flchettes are so mean that they better roll snake eyes, or have help) neadless to say they stand to lose more then you (unless they're assault terminators, which you shouldn't have gotten close to in the first place)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hardcore - Drones shoot with their own BS of 2, not the BS of the vehicle.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
the point is that they do shoot the rules state that a skimmer moving at cruise may only shoot 1 weapon + defensive weapons, drones do not count as defensive weapons, but as passengers for the sake of shots fired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 23:54   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
the point is that they do shoot the rules state that a skimmer moving at cruise may only shoot 1 weapon + defensive weapons, drones do not count as defensive weapons, but as passengers for the sake of shots fired
Wait, so if I move at cruising speed with a Devilfish that has BC and Drones, I can fire both? o.O
philthechil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 23:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, but the point Watchdog was making is that you'll have 15 BS4 shots and 10 TL BS2 shots.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote