Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Conversions
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jun 2005, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Conversions

My one big complaint about the Tau army has nothing to do with the game: it's how uninteresting the Tau are to model. Space Marines and IG have all kinds of wargear, options and models to use, in comparisson, Tau use the same model for three different units (Commander, bodyguard, and crisis team), and the broadside isn't very different. I've done some minor conversions for my Fire warriors, I love the "Archangel" ethereal conversion on this site, and I think my next unit will be Gue'vesa, just to get some modelling creativity.

I'm curious if anyone had any ideas for interesting conversions for their army--especially to denote commanders, bodyguards, etc. (although when the Forgeworld XV8x rules come out, that will be one good way). I thought about having a paraplegic commander whose lower half was a necron destroyer, for example. Any other photos/examples/ideas? And while I love lots of creativity, I'm not interested in conversions that require or use house rules.

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Fire Warrior with two carbines
(added firepower, less accuracy makes it equivalent to 1 carbine).[/td]
[td]Fire Warrior with Ta'Lissera unsheathed[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 14 Jun 2005, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Conversions

I model up my commaders by using one of the antenna's from a drone and attaching it to the side of the helmet instead of the smaller, normal antenna...
Old 14 Jun 2005, 19:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm going to have to get some pictures up. I don't do much in the way of conversion for modelling purposes (only one model converted so far). I use differences in color scheme to pick out my commanders. Main colors are Midnight Blue and Shadow Grey with Mithril Silver for accent points. For the Crisis suits I added some Regal to the mix and some detail colors (Snot Green on MT for the lenses. Blood Red for Crisis eyes, MP missiles, and the TL lenses. Boltgun Metal for the actual jets themselves and the fuel cannisters on FB and PR.) I do antennae tips on Crisis and the Tau symbol on the FW armplates in Mithril Silver. For my commanders I just substituted Shining Gold.

My only conversion thus far was on the FW Shas'ui. He's got one of the rifle arms that points it skyward. I took the hand off the brace arm, rotated it and glued it back on so that he's holding the Bonding Knife in a reverse grip with the blade down and slightly outward, like he's set to recieve a charge.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

I converted my commander from O'Shova, though it took a while cause i had to scrape the Shovah symbol off the Shield Gen and the antenna. I took the sword wielding hand and removed the sword rreplacingit with a smaller knife. I only put one of the O'Shovah antennas on the right side of the head. I attached the Dawn blade to the bottom of the fusion blaster, though i am seriously considering removing it. Finally i cut up one of the sensor spine/ flachette blaster things and attached the antennas from it to the left shoulder hard point. Its unpainted however and im thinking of adding a banner to the right shoulder hard point, but hey I'm off to a good start right?

I've also converted a few Firewarriors, mostly just adding Kroot bits(I really like the pistols), but being sure to remove all the bone parts. One of my Firewarriors is holding an EMP grenade behind his back like hes ready to throw it. As for my Firewarrior Shas'Ui, I gave him one of the Kroot straps with the Feather/Fur thingy hangin off of it and I modeled his other hand to be holding a bonding knife above his head to as if to display to rally his team.

A final good conversion, though it takes a looooonnnnngggg time and you could very well end up cutting yourself is to cut the Crisis arms around the joint and remodel it in a different position. You have to do it just perfect however and it takes a while to get right, hence is why ive only used this conversion once.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In the next UK WD there is an article on converting Tau Crisis Suits.

I for one can't wait. It'll be rgeat.

Coincidence, I think not
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I converted some old Dark Eldar Warriors into my Fire Warriors, making them look like they scavenged the armour off of their fallen foes.
Next, I'm working on an original Devil Fish built from the ideas of a show I'm watching now, as well as my Crisis commander being a quadraped in a mini diarama (on a standard base) fighing some SMurfs. I'll be converting a few regular Fire Warriors into Stealths by adding some camo netting, as well as a weapon system from a game I played a few years ago to suit the Burst cannon. There's a bunch left to do after all of this, but hey, I need to look at the short term if I'm going to get any of this done.
Sofar, It's used up many hours on concept, as well as the actual work I've done on my FWs, and I guess I'm regretting making my original plans so ambitious, I'm still going to try to follow it though to the end ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCanine
My one big complaint about the Tau army has nothing to do with the game: it's how uninteresting the Tau are to model. Space Marines and IG have all kinds of wargear, options and models to use, in comparisson, Tau use the same model for three different units (Commander, bodyguard, and crisis team), and the broadside isn't very different.
Your bang on with that one, that's the problem I have with my Tau, after all as you said 3 units are exactly the same (Crisis Battlesuits, Crisis Bodyguard Battlesuits, Commanders) then Broadsides aren't largely different (seeming as it is only a Crisis Battlesuit with a grill on the Jetpack, different feet and two big guns). Pathfinders and Fire Warriors are also only marginally different and the Devilfish and Hammerhead aren't very different either. Which leaves Ethereals, Stealth Battlesuits, Drones and Kroot, of which 3 of these I cannot take because I play Farsight, so you could guess my army is a little dull.

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone had any ideas for interesting conversions for their army--especially to denote commanders, bodyguards, etc. (although when the Forgeworld XV8x rules come out, that will be one good way). I thought about having a paraplegic commander whose lower half was a necron destroyer, for example. Any other photos/examples/ideas? And while I love lots of creativity, I'm not interested in conversions that require or use house rules.
I have found using Gue'vesa adds to the appearance of my Tau, as does converting the hull of my Hammerhead so it's larger than the Devilfish (it now packs four removable Seeker Missiles extending out of the hull. I also plan on converting the Battlesuits so they don't all look the same.

I'm sure somewhere I read about Commanders often having battle scars on themselves and their Battlesuits, as well as bionical parts to replace limbs they have lost so that maybe something you could fiddle with, as you could do this with the Battlesuit also. Another idea is perhaps remove some of the front of the armour so you can see the Commander inside, other than that their is the easier option of the ForgeWorld Battlesuits. Though I'm still unsure currently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! That’s the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Green stuff rework the armour and possitions of the Tau warriors its easy

Edit by RJay: Read the stickied topic 'Important Notice - Updated' at the top of the board, then start using punctuation in your posts. Thanks.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

they look good 8)

i just use a bit of GS with my conversions :P

Quote:
(sorry about the low-quality photos, I'm a little concerned about bandwidth)
why dont you use a free image hoster like photobucket to save on your bandwidth

Old 15 Jun 2005, 15:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiglio
they look good 8)
why dont you use a free image hoster like photobucket to save on your bandwidth
Good call, I actually remembered that Yahoo! has free photos too (http://photos.yahoo.com/, and I already have their email. How about everyone else? you don't have any excuses now! Let's see some good conversions.

http://RyanCannon.com
Closed Thread