Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

deployment
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default deployment

how do u deploy your tau ? ;D

i put one HH on each corner of the DZ a third in cover in middle devil fish with FW behind cover where i can find it kroot i dont really put them up to close i make a fire base or two with them stealth get them in cover up close pathfinders a bit out side the DZ in cover crisiis behind cover where i can find it most of my force stay spread out which is not to good ;D

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: deployment

I deploy to the best ability with my terrain. I use the scout move to move my pathfinder transports closer, I scout move pathfinders into nearby cover. Broadsides will attempt to find cover, or failing that I will deploy them 8 inches up from the back of the board (average roll on 2d6 fallback is 7 inches).

I will try to hide my hammerheads to the best of my ability, along with my elite crisis suits if I use them. Beyond that, everything else is out in the open. Firewarriors, stealth suits, gun drones and HQ's can take care of themselves.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
I deploy to the best ability with my terrain. I use the scout move to move my pathfinder transports closer, I scout move pathfinders into nearby cover. Broadsides will attempt to find cover, or failing that I will deploy them 8 inches up from the back of the board (average roll on 2d6 fallback is 7 inches).

I will try to hide my hammerheads to the best of my ability, along with my elite crisis suits if I use them. Beyond that, everything else is out in the open. Firewarriors, stealth suits, gun drones and HQ's can take care of themselves.
out in the open do alot of people play this way i get scared im going to get hit with something that my armor wont get a save from ?

Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

From painful experience, I now deploy my heavies in the far corner end of my deployment zone, elites near cover, FW's hidden beside their devilfish, 10 kroot 7" or so in woods, the rest in a line fairly spread out, so basically, majority in cover rule applies, HQ behind a rock (ethereal) basically hidden, or if it's an 'El, I set him up joined with the FW's

Then again, it really depends on the terrain.

I tend to use cover as much as possible.

Like I said, from painful experience, I tend to use cover very much.

O0 O0

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

It's not from experience, but I would deploy most of the army in cover, especially the HH and DF (must really s*ck to lose them in first turn). But the BS would be somewhere in the open so he can see most parts of the table.

Also isn't the BS like a normal sized unit? If so, can't you just put kroot before them so they block LoS? Thought (probably wrong) that a model hides a unit behind it :-\ so then they first have to shoot all the before they can shoot the BS.

Greetz

Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
Quote:

out in the open do alot of people play this way i get scared im going to get hit with something that my armor wont get a save from ?
Fire warriors and gun drones are low priority targets. If someone is shooting at them, they aren't firing at your suits, HQ's, Tanks or anti tank weapons. If you are afraid of taking hits you won't win many games.

"Also isn't the BS like a normal sized unit? If so, can't you just put kroot before them so they block LoS? Thought (probably wrong) that a model hides a unit behind it Undecided so then they first have to shoot all the before they can shoot the BS."

Not since 3rd edition :P Models do not block line of sight unless they are larger than the intended target.

Size 1 - Ripper swarms, Nurglings
Size 2 - Infantry, Crisis suit bases
Size 3 - Walkers, Monsters, Vehicles
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:

"Also isn't the BS like a normal sized unit? If so, can't you just put kroot before them so they block LoS? Thought (probably wrong) that a model hides a unit behind it Undecided so then they first have to shoot all the before they can shoot the BS."

Not since 3rd edition :P Models do not block line of sight unless they are larger than the intended target.

OK, thanks for clearing that up ;D didn't look at the FAQs

Greetz

Old 14 Jun 2005, 15:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fire warriors and gun drones are low priority targets. If someone is shooting at them, they aren't firing at your suits, HQ's, Tanks or anti tank weapons. If you are afraid of taking hits you won't win many games.

ok i think im going to try out what u said i play mech so all my fire warriors have devil fish it ok to hide the fish then right and leave the FW in open do u put FW way in the back of the DZ or 12 inch up or 6" ?

Old 14 Jun 2005, 15:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Dralok Send a message via MSN to Dralok

i usually try and deploy as close as possible to the enemy side with my fish and have my hammerheads hiding behind them if there is no cover, i usually put most of my units on right side, a devilfish with fire warriors and aun'shi in the middle to support whatevers side needs him and a kroot and maybe some crisis suits on the left in cover so they can hold that flank and give me an escape route if i have to flee the right side.if he moves to the left, its really hard for him to beat aun;shi in close combat after a FoF attack, supported by a kroot counter charge. and crisis suits for any heavy units he has.

Shas'la-"Sir are you sure we shouldn't be running away from the Blood thirster?"
Shas'ui-"Of course not, dont you have complete faith in our ethreals? for the greater good... CHARGE!"

Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ok i think im going to try out what u said i play mech so all my fire warriors have devil fish it ok to hide the fish then right and leave the FW in open do u put FW way in the back of the DZ or 12 inch up or 6" ?
With the fire warriors, it doesn't even matter. The only reason I mention the broadside (if you use them) is that if they do run, you want averages on your side for at least one turn, because they are so expensive. Putting them 8 inches up gives you a good shot of falling back once and still being able to regroup if at or above half strength.

If you want to play your fire warriors static, there really is no trick to it. Just line them up and let them get shot down by heavy weapons first turn. I guess my one tip would be to move your troops back 1 inch from the edge of your deployment. Normal deployment has a 24 inch buffer between the zones, so deploying 1 inch back means you're at 25 inches - and enemy rapid fire weapons probably won't hit you (standard troop 24 inch stuff)

You out range them so no reason to let them hit you first.
Closed Thread