Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Units of Multiple-Wound Models
Old 25 Jun 2009, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Units of Multiple-Wound Models

Can i get a little clarification on how this works, please? It's a little confusing to a newer player like myself.

For an example unit let's use one i plan on using. :P

1x Shas'el 3+ save
1x Crisis TeamL 3+ save (Drone Controller)
2x Crisis Suits 3+ save (identical)
1x Shield Drone 3+ Save 4+ Invulnerable

Now i get the part about allocating the wounds and rolling each type of model seperately. And i understand i have to stack the wounds in the case of the identical models to remove a model before giving wounds to the next. Where i get a little confused is the last paragraph on page 26 BRB

So, could someone give me a rundown on how to place wounds in mixed units like this?

A few examples, with normal shots, some low AP shots, and an instant death example, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Units of Multiple-Wound Models

You need at least three drones as you have 3 controllers they MUST control something.

Try allocating to the shield drones first then the crisis suits then the crisis teamleader and finally the shas'el.

Try to give you two non leader crisis slightly different wargear/ weapons as then instead of going these shots are going here ( collectively) it is one shot here and one here adding more survivability as otherwise getting two deaths will automatically go one each whereas with a difference you could pin both ID shots on one guy. Also you can then favour the guy with the shield drone if the other drone is destroyed.

Say you get 2 ID shots 2 ignoring saves and 6 normal. Allocate as follows:
ID 1 Shield drone 1= gets to have a save and it only has 1 wound so ID doesn't matter
ID 2 Shield drone 2= same as above
AP 1 Shield drone 3= gets a save (or lesser suit ( has two wounds)
AP 2 Lesser suit 1= has two wounds
Normal 1-6= one to the team leader and one to shaw then 3 on the shield drones and 1 on a lesser suit.

That should minimize crisis suit losses.

Cheers,
Unholy Harbinger

Old 25 Jun 2009, 22:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mecha73: You may wish to check this for explanation of multi wound models:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...tml#msg1201423

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 22:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you for the breakdown UH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
You need at least three drones as you have 3 controllers they MUST control something.
I only have one Controller, on the Team Leader. I didn't give the Shas'el a DC so he could join the unit. Not even sure how to get a 3rd Controller.

The part that i find confusing i guess, is Instant Death wounds when there's already wounds on some of the suits. Again i'm referring to the last paragraph on page 26 of the BRB.

Thanks for the link Watchdog. Oh yea. That's an awsome post. Answered ALL my questions. TYVM
Old 26 Jun 2009, 06:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha73
Thank you for the breakdown UH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
I only have one Controller, on the Team Leader. I didn't give the Shas'el a DC so he could join the unit. Not even sure how to get a 3rd Controller.

The part that i find confusing i guess, is Instant Death wounds when there's already wounds on some of the suits. Again i'm referring to the last paragraph on page 26 of the BRB.

Thanks for the link Watchdog. Oh yea. That's an awsome post. Answered ALL my questions. TYVM
Drones on Independent Characters are a little confusing. A commander with a pair of drones does NOT lose IC status, so he and his drones can join other units. The only thing a commander with drones can not take are the Vectored Retro Thrusters for the Hit and Run rule. In my opinion, that makes the VRT completely useless, and in 2 years of playing Tau I've never used them!

If you have a maximum-sized command squad of 3 (different) suits and 6 drones you will have a lot of flexibility in wound allocation. Assume the commander has Stim Injectors for Feel No Pain, one of the bodyguards has Iridium Armor and 2 shield drones, and there are 2 more shield drones and 2 gun drones. Since shield drones take the armor save of the suit controlling them, 2 of the shield drones will have 2+ armor saves. Regular wounds will be assigned to the commander and iridium armor suit first, then the regular suit, then the 2+ save shield drones. A single failed save will kill any of the drones, but not a suit. Once a suit is down to a single wound you avoid allocating any more wounds to it if possible. Instant Death AP3 wounds should be allocated to the 2+ save drones because they will still get an armor save. Shots that are Instant Death and AP1 or 2 can be allocated to the gun drones who will likely be able to claim a cover save, but it's simpler to spend the whopping 10 points and make them shield drones so they can take the invulnerable. In any case, Instant Death hits go to drones, not suits. In the unlikely event that you get an AP3 shot that does NOT cause Instant Death (there aren't very many of these), you can allocate that hit to the suit with Feel No Pain. FNP is negated by shots that penetrate ALL armors, not just yours, so the commander could take FNP even though he doesn't get an armor save.

That's a complicated example, but it should cover all the possibilities.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 08:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, the p26 paragraph is basically saying, for example:

Two identical crisis suits take 2 normal unsaved wounds and 1 instant death wound. As you have an unsaved instant death wound, you would remove a whole crisis suit. You have 2 normal wounds left, which removes the other crisis suit. The paragraph stops people from removing one crisis suit by using up a normal wound and an instant death wound, then taking one wound off your remaining crisis suit.

Similar situation but with one of the identical crisis suits already being wounded (ie. has one wound left) and this time they only take two unsaved wounds (1 normal, 1 instant death). You would remove the unwounded model first, using up the instant death unsaved wound, then remove the other model, using up a normal wound.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote