Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1st Tournament. Ard Boys.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1st Tournament. Ard Boys.

ok, so i hear these tournaments can be brutal. I'm looking for any and all advice i can get about the tournaments, armies, and players so i don't get totaly massacered next month.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 02:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1st Tournament. Ard Boys.

Speed, that's a big one... each game is set to two hours; if you are playing a person who is moving his units slowly, it means he's just wasting time so you have less time for your tactics. Game does not start until both armies have been placed.

Points. The game awards points for complete units destroyed, or in some cases, what units you have (ie, fast attack, heavy). The victor is determined by the end points he has, both by units, units destroyed, and objectives; it is possible to win a game without taking the objective.

Army list. You need a printed army list before you can play, so it can be verified before game start. Bring enough copies for your opponent(s). I believe 5 is recommended.

Although it is possible to create a general army geared to go against any army type, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll be too generalized, won't have enough firepower (or whatever) for when it counts. In fact, I'd say make a build as if you were going against a hard to kill enemy; prepare for the worst, and everything else will be easy.

I played last year, and in the opening tourney we had 1 Ork, 1 Tau (me), 1 Tyranid, 1 Imperial Guard, and 3 Space Marines; this year I'm looking at 1 Ork, 2 Tau (me plus ?), 1 Black Templar, 3 Guard, and 2 general Marines.
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 02:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good information. Thank you for the reply. Here's the list i'm hoping will be survivable?

HQ:
Shas'el and 2 BodyG w/ TLMP and flamers BK HWMT 2x Shield Drones

Elite:
Crisis x3 w/ TeamL BK TLMP and flamers 2x Shield Drones
Crisis x3 w/ TeamL BK TLMP and flamers 2x Shield Drones

Fast:
Piranha x3 w/ FB FD DP TA
Piranha x3 w/ FB FD DP TA
Pathfinders x7 w/ Shas'ui BK - Devilfish SMS DP FD MT TA

Troop:
Fire Warriors x6 w/ Devilfish SMS DP FD MT TA

Heavy:
Hammerhead w/ RG SMS BlackF DP FD MT TA TL
Hammerhead w/ RG SMS BlackF DP FD MT TA TL

Are the Piranha a possible replacement for Broadsides? Any suggestions?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 03:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As far as Piranha go, it depends on who you ask; me, I love them.

I don't know if it is because of the Dice Gods or what, but my Piranha always do well, gaining their points back, if not more, before blowing up... and even then, they tend to explode taking some of my opponent with them!

I've usually used my Piranhas to go after some of the more difficult targets; Space Marine Chaplins, carnifex, or stuff like that (they're equipped with fusion blasters). But to use them instead of broadsides? Ehh, I wouldn't; the broadsides, being twin-linked, gives you a better chance of scoring a hit (with a stronger weapon, I may add), and with their save of 2+, well... I'd take that over an armor of 10 any day.

But, just keep in mind, the Broadsides and Piranha are fitting two distinct roles. The Piranha are used to hit fast, darting in and out, whereas the Broadsides bring that much needed rail cannon to play.

For the sake of argument, as this is 'Ard Boyz and all... your broadsides will be targets, just like in any other game; everyone fears the rail cannon, and for good reason. Sure, you can hit across the table, and you're shooting a S10 AP1 twin-linked weapon, but it won't do you any good if you are out of LOS or bogged down by an assault. This isn't to say your broadsides will fail in an assault, though; have a couple shield drones with them as they gain the host model's save, and chances are you'll probably win that assault. You'll just land up without heavy fire support for a turn or two.

With Piranha, you'll have the mobility and the speed, but you may not have the survivability that a Broadside can offer... and you have to move within 12" for the fusion blaster to work (6" if you want a multi-melta). I suppose by going with the standard disruptor pod, decoy launcher, and flechette dischargers you'll do alright, but you just have to prioritize your targets.

Looking at your army list at the moment, be right back...

A few suggestions, if I may.

1. You really don't need a twin linked weapon on your commander, as he has a BS5; chances are, he'll hit.

2. Myself, I'd replace the flamers with a burst cannon or plasma rifle; with flamers, you're just getting too close for comfort. Sure, you can jump away during the assault phase, but that's only 6"... 6" that your opponent will move forward, and then assault. Keep your enemy at least 18" away if possible.

3. You have Pathfinders, which is always good... apparently, you are hoping to gain extra BS or eliminate cover saves / leadership rolls, as none of your vehicles have seeker missiles. See if you can add some somewhere, you never know.

4. For your fire warriors, try to combine the four into two units. Sure, you eliminate cover fire, but you gain survivability. Safety in numbers! AND, you'll gain back quite a bit of points.

5. Have you any stealth teams? If there was ever a necessity in any Tau army, it would be the stealth suits! A six man team, two with fusion blasters... those two with a targeting array, the other four with gun drones... infiltrating, special night fight rules... let the slaughter begin!

6. This isn't a suggestion, just a reminder: your Hammerheads will be the main target in the first two turns. Guaranteed. By all means, still take them, as the ordinance blast is quite effective... as well as the rail cannon... and they will draw your opponent's fire.
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 05:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1: Didn't even think about his BS, but a Shasel has a BS4. Better to stay TL, or grab a TA? Thanks

2: i was thinking MP for light vehicles. and i figured the flamer would be good for infantry/horde types. Something for me to think about anyhow.

4: Is it better to have only 2 stronger scoring units over 4 hidden in Warfish?

I'm dropping a Piranha from each squad and adding a 2 man broadside team.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Does anyone know how many points the 'ard boys tournament is probably going to be?
So_Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

It is a 2500 point tournament, with nothing scored but gameplay. No sportmanship, no painting, final destination.

My fear with 5 Warfish, 2 Hammerheads, and 2 Piranhas, is while you can try to choke people to death with skimmers, you will not have enough output firepower and may suffer greatly for it.

Piranhas are not a good replacement to broadside. So much cheaper yes, but at what price? Increased ability to be shot out of the sky. 1/6th of the shot range, but much faster. Less accurate, stronger within 1/12 of railgun range. Faster by all accounts. Where I play, broadsides are an icon of fear, nigh inescapable death and destruction (psychological factors can be used) Not sure about your play zone, but regardless I advise several of these if possible.

TLMP suits and a couple Piranha cannot deal with the heavy amounts of land raiders.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 19:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks MDRedeemer.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Take one of the piranha teams out and replace it with broadsides.

Piranha are NOT alot cheaper then broadsides...they are, at best, slightly cheaper. Remember piranha need upgrades, this will make them as much as 90 points (I run mine at 80 a piece). A fully upgraded and ready team of Broadsides will run about 280 points.

I concur with earlier posters, merge the FW teams into two. the points gained from eliminating two Warfish will let you run a Kroot squad or two.
Zeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 22:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks again everyone. I've tweeked my army again. (for about the 1000 time)

Dumped the piranhas altogether. left with 1hq, 3 crisis teams, 2 kroot squads with hounds, 4 10 man fire warrior units in Warfish, 1 pathfinder team, 2 2man broadside units and a hammerhead.

I'll post the new list when i get home.