Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Outflanking + me being silly
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Outflanking + me being silly

If i outflank my pathfinders and they hop out of the devilfish before it moves do they count as having moved thus stopping them firing their market lights or not?

I think i'm being extremely silly
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Outflanking + me being silly

Well, they Moved out of the Devilfish, didn't they? I think the rules cover it quite clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Markerlight Drones and Skyfire Tanks are the only ones that I know of who can move and still light up a target in the same round.
NikoTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think you can even do that.* Before the Fish moves, it's off of the table.* The Pathfinders could choose to walk on, but then the Fish wouldn't gain Scout.*

I feel the need to clarify this, because a lot of people tend to misunderstand reserves.* When you bring in a unit from reserves, you don't set them on the table edge, then move your normal distance, you measure their move distance from the table edge, and they have to Move on the table.* ie, units arriving from reserve always have to move even if it's just an inch to get onto the board.

This is wrong
* * deploy* * * move
* * * * * * * * * * [
* ** 0* ** * * ** [

This is right
move
* [*

The first method nets you an extra move distance equal to the length of the unit.* If you understood it the right way, then I'm sorry to bug you, I just find a lot of people making that mistake.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoTeen
Markerlight Drones and Skyfire Tanks are the only ones that I know of who can move and still light up a target in the same round.
Nope that is false.

By itself a markerdrone cannot move and fire his marker light, he needs to be attached to a suit to do so.

For the OP, Embarking and disembarking a transport takes place during the movement phase and is a movement thus they cannot fire their markerlight.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

It just isn't true in all cases. But a Marker Drone attached to Stealthsuits or Crisis Suits will have Relentless, as it will count as having a Jetpack. So effectively, that and the Skyray are the only Codex units that can move-and-fire with a Markerlight.

But no, there is no way to do it with Pathfinders.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 02:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Stealth suits can move and fire with a markerlight.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 03:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

What is the point of outflanking with markerlights? It's a 36" range weapon. If you put them in the middle of a 6x4 table in your deployment zone on the long side of the table then you would be able to hit all of the table except for the smallest table corners. Or if you wanna get better markerlight coverage then what you wanna do is take 2 smaller pathfinder teams and put them in a couple of different corners of the board. Then you'll be to cover even more of the table. If you can somehow get your pathfinders to the middle of the table then you'll actually literally be able to hit the entire table as long as you've got line of sight. If you're outflanking then odds are you're ending up closer to your enemy with your pathfinders... which I think goes without saying is a BAD thing!
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 04:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

In Ninja Tau Tactics the idea is to deliver an Outflanking Warfish, rather than the mushy/slow payload, but other than that... dunno
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 09:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
What is the point of outflanking with markerlights? It's a 36" range weapon. If you put them in the middle of a 6x4 table in your deployment zone on the long side of the table then you would be able to hit all of the table except for the smallest table corners. Or if you wanna get better markerlight coverage then what you wanna do is take 2 smaller pathfinder teams and put them in a couple of different corners of the board. Then you'll be to cover even more of the table. If you can somehow get your pathfinders to the middle of the table then you'll actually literally be able to hit the entire table as long as you've got line of sight. If you're outflanking then odds are you're ending up closer to your enemy with your pathfinders... which I think goes without saying is a BAD thing!
The corners of the board are roughly 43" from the centre and 60" from the middle of the opponents edge. If you pathfinders were in the dead centre (yes, i realize in reality the squad would be able to spread itself out perhaps 3"-6" from the centre of the circle if they wished) they'd have about 90-95% of the board covered. In the middle of your edge of the board, they should have about 60% of the board covered. Most of the action wouldn't be taking place in the corners anyway though.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote