Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Common Mistakes With Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Common Mistakes With Tau?

I was reading the Tactics about common mistakes with TAU. I myself play mobile TAU and on the set up i have to spread out my forces alot, for example today the only cover was on the ends of each side while the middle didn't really have cover in my deployment zone. Also there was a forest in the middle but a wrathlord was right next to it and it's flamers would have killed my kroot if i put them in it.

The article says's this: DO NOT spread out your forces. Otherwise you will not be able to overlap firepower needed to take out some of those tougher squads. Establishing a strong firebase will allow you to focus firepower against certain target until they fall. Keep Fw in tight formation and make sure not to overextend you Crisis suits/stealth teams and pathfinders, and it will be next to impossible to make assault. However if you do find yourself in an assault, Either mob the enemy assuming its the tattered remains of a ttacticalsquad, or get out of dodge and establish another firebase.

So what do i do to make sure i do this right when i didn't have enough cover there for me ??

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Common Mistakes With Tau?

The minimum amount of terrain you should use, per the rulebook, is enough to cover a full quarter of the table surface. This usually ends up being around 15 pieces of terrain.

It sounds like you were using far less then that. The advice given is only applicable when people play the game the way the rulebook suggests. If people play in a drastically different way, then the advice no longer applies.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 08:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My commom mistake is not shooting things in the correct order in shooting phase. Needing to focus a lot of firepower to take out say a unit of Space Marines, I finally finish them off and leave the rest of my firepower nothing to shoot at. Knowing target priorities is great but also which weapons to blast first.

Another common mistake I feel is know when to run for it. My Crisis suits usually get chased down and assaulted.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 15:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My common mistake is pushing forward too much so my support can not reach some of my forward forces. I do much better when I am the Patient Hunter.
(Being too aggressive with some of my troops always ends up bad)

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
My common mistake is pushing forward too much so my support can not reach some of my forward forces. I do much better when I am the Patient Hunter.
(Being too aggressive with some of my troops always ends up bad)

WT
I think i have the same problem, unlike other races we cant just charge in with any of are unit, or we will most like be crushed, even kroot play a better roll as a fire base in cover, then a assault squad because really we don't have any assault squads .So nothing can be by it self that the real trick to pull off keeping every thing together

Old 13 Jun 2005, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Common mistakes I see with Tau are thus:

1) Assuming the Hammerhead will solve all your problems.

It doesn't. Relying on the Hammerhead means its just easier for your opponent to win after they blow up.

2) Over-using Crisis Suits.

Firewarriors have their uses, and too few people realise this.

3) Under-using Firewarriors.

See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 14 Jun 2005, 05:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Frank, you've gotta strike a balance between too spread out and too tightly packed. Generally you want to be far enough apart that the enemy can't consolidate from squad to squad when/if they get into close combat. But they shouldn't be too much more spread out than that.

The most common mistake I make is forgetting about my photon grenades. that's killed me so many times I can't begin to recall them all. Other than that I think that the most common mistake made is ruling out any piece of a tau army as "useless" (excepting, of course, krootox. they provide suction.) Everything can be used to good effect, from the much lauded ethereals to my much maligned pathfinders and gun drones.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 06:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson88
Frank, you've gotta strike a balance between too spread out and too tightly packed. Generally you want to be far enough apart that the enemy can't consolidate from squad to squad when/if they get into close combat. But they shouldn't be too much more spread out than that.

The most common mistake I make is forgetting about my photon grenades. that's killed me so many times I can't begin to recall them all. Other than that I think that the most common mistake made is ruling out any piece of a tau army as "useless" (excepting, of course, krootox. they provide suction.) Everything can be used to good effect, from the much lauded ethereals to my much maligned pathfinders and gun drones.
ok but speading out jusr right so there not to far even if it means some units are not in cover ?? like if there cover on one side of the deployment zone and alot more on the other side i dont want to stick them all in one corner do i leave some out in the open ?? if so who stay in the open ?

Old 14 Jun 2005, 06:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

The one I find most annoying is when ppl use fire warriors like Space Marines ! * :'(

Do not ... I repeat, DO NOT use the Fire warriors like marines !

Besides that, i tend to lose or win battles on my deployment. It seems quite improtant for future Tau players to pay close attention to their deployment. Static, Mecha or hybrid Deployment is very important.

O0 O0

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 14 Jun 2005, 14:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah i sperd my forces out to much

Closed Thread