Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

dealing with vendettas and veterans
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default dealing with vendettas and veterans

So an Imperial Guard playing friend of mine has devised a strategy that i am at a complete loss to beat, so any help would be great.

Vendetta x 2 with heavy bolter sponsors

carrying a veteran squad each, with 3 plasma guns, a plasma pistol and a missile launcher. all other veterans carry lasguns and mailbombs where allowed.

So. if he gets first turn, the vendetta use there scout move to cross the table and park in front of something killy, usually my Broadside Squad, then in his first turn, he either moves a couple of inches if needed to get into position, or simply drops the veterans in rapid fire range. they all open fire and i lose a very much needed chunk of AT firepower. If he gets second turn, he simply holds them in reserve and then outflanks as soon as possible, with much the same results.any suggestions on how to beat this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: dealing with vendettas and veterans

Let me take a stab in the dark here and assume you play static Tau, and that those broadsides are pretty much your only anti-tank.

Easiest way to protect them is to split them into multiple squads, if you have any HS slots spare in the first place, that is.

An alternate solution would be to place something equally as killy within easy range of your broadsides so that as soon as he's done killing those, you open fire and wipe out his expensive uber-units in one fell swoop. Missile Pods and a CiB work wonders against carapace armour. Massed pulse fire can also help. In addition, if he's spending that much on just 2 units (because I know Valks/Vendettas are not cheap) then there has to be less of the rest of his army to deal with.

You could also deploy in a denied flank formation, clustered on one side/corner of the board without large gaps between units, meaning he cannot disembark anywhere close to where you are.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis

folks they are better ways to deal with that.

1) keep broad sides in reserve then use advance reverse stabilsers to kill their tanks.
2)secondly deploy in cover
3) use something that can hurt tanks like a bunch of piranhas as sacrifices because they know they are fast so they will con centrate tank and heavy weapons team on them
Old 19 Jun 2009, 10:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Aside from the Broads and Hammerhead, I found that the Deathrain configuration helps with the spam to down them, or at the very least prevent those pesky Valks/Vens from shooting at your more valuable anti-tank.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 10:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

OK, thanks for the advice so far

Quote:
Let me take a stab in the dark here and assume you play static Tau, and that those broadsides are pretty much your only anti-tank.
I think I'm more of a hybrid player, i have two Railheads located in the corners of the table for picking off side armour and submunitions, and two teams of Deathrain battlesuits.

As my opponent is, as most guard is, tank heavy, my 88's pose the biggest threat to his armour and once they're gone he becomes less concerned about my AT firepower.

my Deathrains can take care of the vendettas within a turn or two, and firewarriors can clean up the veterans, but it still means the Broadsides are gone.
Quote:
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Old 19 Jun 2009, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Redundancy.* Have as many different squads capable of taking down tanks as possible.* Split your broadsides into single man teams or pairs w/ a 'vre w/ two Shield Drones.* Also take a couple of something else w/ Fusion Blasters "just in case".*

*edit* I missed the bit about Railheads.* With a couple of backups w/ Fusion Blasters you should have enough AT if the Broadsides are toast.* A full team of Broadsides, in cover, w/ two shield drones (I always take at least two) should be pretty hard to dislodge.* If you want to be really annoying, take 3 BS w/ 2 Shield Drones apiece.*
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just a thought, I'm not entirely sure how well it'd work out for you, but I'd be willing to try it out myself.

How about some drones placed with the broadsides and then throwing a small protective ring/wall of cover save granting kroot around the broadsides. When his veterans jump out, it should make the broadsides more survivable and give you more firepower to return fire with. If they ignore the kroot you can shoot back or rush the vets.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

have the shield drones. i take them on most things that can have them. apart from railguns the only heavy tank killy weapons i have are my stealth fusion blasters, 2 in a 6 man squad, and the twinlinked ones on the 2 TX-42s i have. other than that i only have deathrains. which will remove chimeras and devildogs, but bounce of leman russ level armour.

I've also learnt, Pask in a Demolisher, bad thing.

I don't play kroot, theres something bout them i just don't like. i think its the number of them you need to make a survivable, effective squad. but thanks for the advice anyway.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

I've found the same problem. Marks the only time I've ever conceded before turn one, he'd routed all three of my troops, my Pathfinders, and my HQ from tank shocks and poor morale rolls, arranged it so that the Vendettas would keep them running, and had two squads of Metaguns ready to disembark next to my two railguns when he was going to go first. Yes, he Vendetta-spams his lists, and there is really nothing I can do about it. Can't even take the Reserves route, since he routinely take two Masters of the Fleet and I can't do NEARLY enough in two-three turns to make a dent on his forces.

EDIT: wow, I think I'm getting bitter about that... Anyway, too keep this from just being a straight whine, I'm going to try some other options. I want to be able to beat it with a TAC list, I just can't figure out how.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

a brief aside onto the reserves thing, master of the fleet means i have to add one to my reserve rolls, 3 becomes 4 etc. does this still apply to the positional relay, as it says it uses a heavily encrypted signal to allow you to come in on a 2+. according to my imperial friend, his special rule overwrites my special rule. is he right?
Quote:
Quote: