Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Definitive Time Line- All Canon sources
Old 10 Jun 2009, 02:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Definitive Time Line- All Canon sources

Hey everyone

So- i've been reading the Planetstrike book (it's gonna be a confusing new codex) and there's a timeline to it that correlates largely with the last three dex's- The SM the Guard and the Rulebook.

So- that being the case, since everyone really wants to make the best fluff out here- i'm going to just list it. Keep in mind all dates are taken directly from new fluff sources.

Ahem:

Based on the current understanding of the map systems it would seem that the Third Sphere is expanding in a northern push (spearheaded by Shadowsun) which has been the most successful while the southern region has been experiencing set backs as the Ultramarines strengthen their borders. The northern conflicts involve the extended War of Dakka, Medusa V, and the newly formed Septs of K'sy'myen and Fi'rios. Victories here include T'ros and the defeat in the Kauruva system happens here.
In the south you have Nimbosa which has been taken but remains under threat, the Pavonis conflict, and the disastrous Zeist campaign which pushed the Tau back to their lines at Cytheria. The defeat at Khronos happens in the south.

All following events happen in the 41st Millenium.

799: Ultramarines begin fortifying their border- (i would assume this is in response to 2nd phase expansion wars.

815: Descent of Grog: This is the true beginning of the WAR OF DAKKA, an ongoing conflict between the Tau and Orks under the warlord Grog. This would have taken during the first half of the war as described in the Ork Codex when the Orks were beaten back after conflicts with the Kroot escalated to a war with the Empire.
-Grog slams a dagger shaped Rok into the world of Aari Vo, right into the capital city killing several billion tau before stepping off of the Rok to begin the war in earnest.

815: a Simultaneous invasion of the Tau world of Lolac

(Both these events happened in the north of the Empire, we could assume the invasion of Vior'la happens at the same time) Additionally, it would also appear the Tau conflict with the Orks is their entire species dealing with a single mighty warlord.

849: For a frame of reference, a splinter fleet of Kraken is dealt with by a Death watch attack against the Norn queen, scattering it.

900. Morix Prime outpost destroyed by the Ultramarines. Also in the south.

945: The Damocles Gulf edition of the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is written.
949: The second edition of the Primer is published.

963: Malbede: A Tau exploratory fleet engages the Ultramarines lead by Calgar ending up awakening a necron tomb. The two mortal forces band together to engage the Necrons with the Tau being allowed to fall back before exterminatus is declared. It is here that the Ultramarines first learn to respect the Tau. Malbede is believed to be in the south of the Tau empire due to the Necron activity.

966: War of Kvarian Alpha- one of the northern worlds to be claimed by the Tau, Kvarian is an ocean world with only a few landmasses. Although the outcome is unknown, it is known that a massive battle was fought between a Space Wolf force and Tau cadres underwater and the Tau were defeated.

(NOTE: DURING THIS BATTLE IT IS SAID THAT HAMMERHEADS AND MANTA'S ARE ALSO SUBMERSIBLE)

979: Start of the Gulf Crusade

988: Gulf Crusade ends after the battle of Gel'bryn

interesting note: in the Rule Book and Space Marine Codex we have two years for the Third sphere- 988 and 997 which means this could be the years that the Empire developed their future expansion.

989: Lagan is liberated by the Ultramarines

995: Tau fleet attacks Ghola's Hope- a Shrine world. It should be noted that the Tau are making a directed attack against the faith of the humans.

997- Launch of the Third Sphere, Tau forces primarily rally in the north but other forces are launched in the south towards worlds like Nimbosa which are taken.

997: The Shining Blade: An attack lead by Farsight and an elite squadron of 80 Battlesuits against a tendril of Hivefleet Kraken, crippling the Tyranids.

999: Cytheria is invaded and taken- in the south.

999: Zeist Campaign- After Sicarius takes Praetonis V he battles through the Zeist Sector south of the Tau Empire until reaching the Tau staging world of Augura. Leading 1200 marines he shatters the Tau resistance and stems the 3rd Sphere, halting it in the south and forcing the Tau to solidify the border. Meanwhile Sicarius is returned to Ultramar to battle a massive Chaos force attacking Ultramar itself.

Old 10 Jun 2009, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Definitive Time Line- All Canon sources

How'd you get the book? I thought it wasn't out til the 4th of July?
Either way, that's some good stuff.
Also, wouldn't northward expansion bring them into contact with the Farsight Enclaves?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

he's north west- beyond the furthest extent of the Gulf.

Yeah- the store i go to has a superduper early one.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:34   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
he's north west- beyond the furthest extent of the Gulf.

Yeah- the store i go to has a superduper early one.
Well i know almost nothing of Farsight, it's really the only part of Tau fluff i'm not well versed in.

I want to check out Planet Strike. Does it look fun?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So the planetstrike book definitely confirms the new dates for the Damocles Gulf Crusade then?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 13:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

the two indications of the Damocles Gulf timeline change are in the IG dex and the Uplifting Primer, Damocles edition. The dates in planetstrike are relatively new but do not confirm the Gulf war change.

This is a compilation of several sources- I'm gonna go back today and make a list with page numbers.

Planetstrike looks intresting- but it's like a new Apocalypse- so bigger games as opposed to cityfight. It looks interesting, but complicated. Questions? I can copy them down and look in the book if you post them here.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 18:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know my question comes late, but will teh rules be useable in smaller games or is there a point minimum to use teh rules?

If planetstrike is the "new" form of apocolypse with normal sized minis (like i predicted) I will be sad.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2009, 19:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i would say the best games for planetstrike are probably going to be from 2200-3000 point games, higher than that and it's apoc, but apoc in my opinion is for huge games like 3500+ games because of the strategem system.

Bigger games is the way of the future guys, which makes me wonder if its time to start thinking about a revamp of kill team for 500-1500 point games.