Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A couple of questions for my Tau...
Old 07 Jun 2009, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default A couple of questions for my Tau...

I am currently trying to create an army list for my tau and I have come up with a few questions that I would like to ask...

1. Does taking drones make it so a Monat Crisis/Broadside have to make a moral check should they lose them?

*I know that a unit that has taken 50% casualties or more cannot regroup so wouldn't that be detrimental since you would probably lose the Monat to two wounds anyhow?

2. Is it better to take more models with little to no upgrades or less models with upgrades like Targeting Arrays to improve their ability to shoot and what not?

*I am planning on taking Targeting Arrays for every model that can, because I want a better chance at hitting. However, I have noticed that the example Tau Army in the 5th edition rule book tries to take as few upgrades as possible. I assume this is because they will have more points to spend on more models that way. Although, I feel my luck isn't the greatest most times...

3. Do you have to inform your opponent of all the upgrades you have taken?

*I am considering Flechette Dishchargers on my "Warfish" Devilfish tanks, but wouldn't it defeat the purpose of taking them if I have to tell my opponent? I remember reading the "what you see if what you get" rule and that makes it seem like I have to explain all of my conversions and or upgrades before the battle starts...

4. Do I have to spend an arm and a leg to make an effective army?

*I bought the Tau Empire Battleforce set, a Hammer Head Tank, 2 Crisis Suits, a Stealth Suit team of 3 and three Pirahna Skimmers. The only other thing I am considering buying atm is the Devilfish set that comes with 8 Firewarriors, which I will turn into Pathfinders. I have a lot of old metal models from my previous Tau Army, which I ruined while trying to remove their paint! :_( Amongst those metal pieces I have enough kroot hounds to set up a squad of 10 Kroot and 5 hounds and I have parts to turn one of my crisis models into a Broadside.

5. Do you think I can build an effective army from the stuff I have?

6. Would separating my 12 Fire Warriors into two squads of 6 be pointless?

*I figure that they would be able to take more marker lights that way and they could use bonding knives since it is so important to have troops in 5th edition.

7. Do you have any recommendations of the amount of points that my army should shoot for ? 1500? 2000?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Macc out
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: A couple of questions for my Tau...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc
I am currently trying to create an army list for my tau and I have come up with a few questions that I would like to ask...

1. Does taking drones make it so a Monat Crisis/Broadside have to make a moral check should they lose them?

2. Is it better to take more models with little to no upgrades or less models with upgrades like Targeting Arrays to improve their ability to shoot and what not?

3. Do you have to inform your opponent of all the upgrades you have taken?

4. Do I have to spend an arm and a leg to make an effective army?

5. Do you think I can build an effective army from the stuff I have?

6. Would separating my 12 Fire Warriors into two squads of 6 be pointless?

7. Do you have any recommendations of the amount of points that my army should shoot for ? 1500? 2000?
1. Yes it does.

2. It depends on your foe. In some case more body is better, in other, making every shot count is better. I personally try to find a healthy balance of both.

3. Yes, you should. The only time you can get away with not disclosing is if you and your opponent has a 0 disclosure rule....but a lot of place goes for a full disclosure policy. With tau you have some item that are no bits or are hard-wired, so you can go around WYSIWYG, but disclosure is still required.

4. No you do not have to spend an Arm and a leg. Yuo seem to have a good core and a descent hybrid army in the making.

5. Yes.
Commander: plasma with CIB plus extra
1 Helios suit ( plasma and fusion) and 1 firestorm suit (burst and missile) monats
2-3 team fire warriors
1 kroot
pathfinder with the fish
hammerhead

It has some pretty good punch.

6. Depends on your foe. Sometimes it is inded better to split them up and offer multiple enemy....especially against close combat army.

7. start with 1500 points.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thank you Boneguard for your response. I'll try and play-test an army set up like the one you provided and see where it gets me. Sorry about the large list of questions.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

As for WYSIWYG, technically Forge World make bits for flechette dischargers and I think disruption pods/decoy launchers, but anyone that tries to force you to buy the overpriced, stupid-looking (not so much the FD, but that's the best they could do for the DP/DL?) bits in order to take the wargear is a dick anyway and you probably shouldn't play them in the first place.

WYSIWYG, in my opinion, is really only important when we're talking about stuff that really should be represented correctly on the model, like weapons. Stuff like grenades are so small it really shouldn't matter (and on my fire warriors I modeled them with grenades but never actually take them, I just thought it looked better or was part of the uniform), and hard-wired gear is said in the codex to be integrated into the suit/vehicle itself or be so small you wouldn't see it, like jewelry. For stuff like targeting arrays, there is no bit, and if GW doesn't make a plastic bit for it and include it in the kit I see no reason why I should be forced to represent it. Nothing I can cobble together from bits of sprue and card would look anywhere near as good as an actual bit and if GW can't be arsed, neither can I.

But yeah, it's usually considered good sportsmanship to have your army list available for your opponent to look at if he's in doubt about anything. In fun games there's really no reason to hide anything and it prevents cheating, and I think most tournaments make you share your list anyway. It wouldn't defeat the purpose of taking the upgrade though, if anything it'll do what is intended and make your opponent think twice about assaulting one of your vehicles.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, the Flechette Discharger on a Pathfinder Devilfish proved invaluable against Orks today at a Tournament. The player lost a wounded Deffkopta due to a failed Save against it and no matter what I did with the Fish for the rest of the game he actually said he could not be bothered to assault it again (and he failed to shoot it down with the remaining Deffkopta, even from the rear 8) ). A great deterrent. An opponent thinks twice before assaulting. The bigger the unit assaulting, the more doubts about the wisdom of charging against a hail of flechettes.

Flechettes on O'R'myr cost the Ork player several Bikers. Pity they are a one shot weapon on him. :'(

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hmm I guess there is a lot to think about when setting up an army... As far as Flechettes though. Is there an effect against a vehicle assaulting? I forgot to ask that question, because it came up during a game I played last summer.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 22:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc
Hmm I guess there is a lot to think about when setting up an army... As far as Flechettes though. Is there an effect against a vehicle assaulting? I forgot to ask that question, because it came up during a game I played last summer.
Flechettes cause Wounds, they have no Strength an no roll for penetration. They have no effect on anything without a Wounds characterictics in its profile. So no, a charging Dreadnought is not affected by them.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote