Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

kamikaze suits
Old 07 Jun 2009, 02:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default kamikaze suits

hi what do you think of this config of battle suit team

TW flamer + drone controller+2 gun drones x2 team leader + bonding knife + TW flamer + hard wired drone controller+2 gun drones + fusion blaster + hard-wired multi-tracker x1
fio_caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: kamikaze suits

I would go with either of these two similar yet cheaper and more effective setups.

1) 3 x 'uis, with twin linked flamers and burst cannons
2) 3 x 'uis with twin linked flamers and missile pods
3) 3 x 'uis with twin linked missile pods and flamers

With the first, you deepstrike close to the enemy, and hope to do enough damage to cripple it. However, as you need to operate very close to the enemy, you should only attempt this configuration if you have a pathfinder devilfish, as you will need to make use of its marker beacon.

With the second, you have 3 suits that fire from far away, and in the even that any enemy gets too close to your troops, you can drop 3 templates that re-roll to wound. It works very well with a static army.

The third acts identically to the second, except it is better at long range shooting and worse up close. It is better that the second unless you are facing a first/second turn assault army.

On a closing note, it is important to remember that crisis suits are NOT expendable, and can rarely make back their points in a single turn of shooting unless you keep their cost down.

Oh, and it is worth mentioning a 2 man configuration that has been used by some very experienced players with great success.

'ui with twin linked missile pod and flamer
'ui with twin linked flamer and missile pod

It essentially combines the second and third setup.

While on the subject of different size configurations. One that I have used with great success is an 'ui with twin linked flamers and a drone controller with 2 gun drones. I use it as an ace in the hole, to severely damage units my enemy thought safe. Then, I use other units to finish the unit off. In the even I can't finish an enemy off, I have only spent 54 points on the suit and drones. If I have placed it correctly, it should deal at least that many points in damage.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 05:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In CoD, where ranges grow and shrink every turn, I find that suicide suits can do quite a bit of damage. They can also leave you out in the wind.

First off are the classic message senders. Either twin Fusion with a Shield Generator, or a Fusion and Missile Pod with a Multitracker (sometimes with Shield Drones). These guys pack some anti-vehicle firepower and are often Deep-Struck into the thick of it. They fire on their targets, and either do or die. Best used against back-field artillery and the such, when you do not have Piranhas to deal with such things.

Secondly is Stealth units. With these guys, if you have the points to spend, you can wipe out entire SM units in a turn. Take a unit of six, add in four Marker Drones, and eight Gun Drones. You get BS 5 for 18 shots, and BS 5 TL for 8 shots almost every turn! Thes guys are good against almost any infantry unit.

Third is the anti-infantry XV-8s. Leatherback had some good ideas, but I can give you some more options even more aggressive and specialized. Try running combinations of Burst Cannons, Flamers and Missile pods. Basically I find that in a unit of 3 XV-8s, I have a hard time getting 3 different models with flamers into a good position. They just tend to get into each others way. To counter this, I take 1 suit with twin Flamers, one with a single flamer, and one other one with none. The TL Flamer suit is always in the lead, and is almost always the one I kill off in attrition first. Mix and match other weapons and wargear to your taste, and take some extra GDs if you can..

The last type of suit that you can use well up close is any Plasma Rifle suit. Use these guys against MC, hero units or TEQs. I really do not like to use them up close though as their points cost makes them prime targets.

The major points of suicide units though are simple: Assault and Template Weapons, along with low points cost. By getting the drop on your foe through DSing, or outflanking, you can easily make a mess of his plans and units, while preserving your own army.

Notable non-suit units that do well are also Gun Drones, Vespid and Kroot.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 21:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

answer to leather back:
i do have a pathfinder squad+devilfish
Old 08 Jun 2009, 00:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One thing I will say - I like the TL Flamers on suits now, and I have tried them as a DS unit with Gundrones. While it is more expensive, and I would hesitate to recomend the configuration, I did get quite lucky in one battle.

The Gun Drones Pinned the Enemy Unit, which meant I got to flame the unit twice, once when I landed and then after moving into a prime position the next turn.

I would never count on it though with the amount of units out there that ignore pinning! ....Could be a very good combination against Guard though.....hmmmmmmm.

Huge unit, 3 TL flamers, wounding on 3's thats probablly at least 20 dead Guard it they are packed in close and have 5+ saves.....Then If the Drones Pin I can do it again next turn and assualt the remains.....Might give that a try when I finally get a game against the new Guard!
Old 08 Jun 2009, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

just keep in mind the kamikaze team is 180 pts (same as a 6 man stealth team without extras) and will divert fire power and they got 12 wounds a unit
they also can kill off scoring units which is annoying to opponent
basically these suits will come in near the end where he thinks his scoring units safe and burn them to the ground (opponent expression ??? ???
Old 08 Jun 2009, 04:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

also to leather back canging drone controller to other things:
this unit is supposed to actually survive for a long time/draw heaps of fire