Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules Lawyers Needed: Drones Disembarking from Destroyer Vehicle moving flat-out
Old 06 Jun 2009, 23:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Rules Lawyers Needed: Drones Disembarking from Destroyer Vehicle moving flat-out

Ok, here is a new problem for the rules lawyers out their:

You have a Piranha moving flat-out and carrying drones. It gets destroyed the folloing turn. My opponent is claiming that the gun drones are automatically destroyed because they cannot disembark after the vehicle has moved flat-out. Is this true?

Also, my opponent keeps on wanting to remove drones as from vehicles using a weapon destroyed result. What is the best way to answer this claim?

Thank for the help.
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 23:47   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Rules Lawyers Needed: Drones Disembarking from Destroyer Vehicle moving flat-out

They are treated as passengers when a vehicle is damaged. I don't have my rule book nearby, but if you read that passage you will find your answer
As for weapons destroyed, i let my opponent choose them. Codex says they fire as part of the vehicle, and i'd rather lose them than my burst cannon, so its a win win
Old 06 Jun 2009, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Rules Lawyers Needed: Drones Disembarking from Destroyer Vehicle moving flat-out

Gun Drones are treated as passengers and cannot be destroyed as a result by Weapon Destroyed. Also causing an immobilized on a Flat out doesn't kill Passengers. They just take a pinning test.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
Gun Drones are treated as passengers and cannot be destroyed as a result by Weapon Destroyed. Also causing an immobilized on a Flat out doesn't kill Passengers. They just take a pinning test.
Right, i spoke wrong. Drones count as passengers in regards to the vehicle being damaged. I misread the piece
Old 08 Jun 2009, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, the player who was contesting me on this ruling is still insisting the drones are destroyed if the Piranha is moving flat-out. Anyone have an absolute rock solid answer for why this is false. Trust me, this guy is stubborn to the extreme.

Thanks.
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2009, 04:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Drones are Passengers if the vehicle is damaged. If he won't accept that answer then it's his fault and play the game as normal. Or what you should do is get one of his transports to move flat out and then pop it, claiming that the passengers are destroyed :P
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2009, 05:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanixis
Ok, the player who was contesting me on this ruling is still insisting the drones are destroyed if the Piranha is moving flat-out. Anyone have an absolute rock solid answer for why this is false. Trust me, this guy is stubborn to the extreme.
I believe your stubbern opponent is wrapped around the Fast Transport Vehicle rule (BRB 70) which does not allow passengers to embark or disembark if the transport moved flat out that movement phase.

I found this post on the Advanced Tau Tactical Forum http://advancedtautactica.com/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a Questions about Fast Moving Transports.

eiglepulper wrote
Quote:
Disembarkation is disallowed by the vehicle's previous movement only in the friendly player turn. Disembarkation which is caused by incoming enemy fire is done in the Enemy turn and is not therefore subject to the distance the vehicle moved in its own turn.

Vehicle distance moved in the previous turn has relevance only for the enemy Assault Phase in order to determine what D6 roll is needed to be able to strike the vehicle in combat.

The Vehicle Damage Chart result "Destroyed - Explodes!" has its own rules; the passengers suffer wounds, saving throws are made and then survivors are placed, etc. There is no mention of disembarkation since it is not a disembarkation move - it is a "cause and effect" situation with its own rules - so none of the Disembarking rules applies. However, an addendum to that one would be the line on P.66 BRB under Embarking and Disembarking where it says
Quote:
...be forced to disembark if their transport is destroyed

There is no qualification as to which 'Destroyed' result that sentence is referring. It implies that both results equate to a disembarkation move, but the expanded rules on P.67 BRB clarify this for us.

The only times I can think of where passengers are actually 'destroyed' are:
"Destroyed - wrecked!" result: the entire transport model is completely and utterly surrounded, thus preventing an Emergency Disembarkation (P.67 BRB lines 6-end of paragraph 1 of "Disembarking").
"Destroyed - Explodes!" result: every single passenger was wounded and subsequently failed its armour save.
Gun Drones are treated as passengers if the vehicle is damaged. They cannot be removed as damage from a weapon destoyed result and they are not destroyed with the vehicle. You take the good with the bad.
MadMac321 is offline   Reply With Quote