Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seeker missiles on hammerhead/devilfish
Old 04 Jun 2009, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Seeker missiles on hammerhead/devilfish

So up until now I have been neglecting seeker missiles, due to not having many markerlights in the army. Also, I don't really like one shot weapons.
Anyways, I was going to try putting one on my Hammerhead gunship to see how it goes, and realized that I have no idea how it is supposed to attach! I have tried doing image searches and everything, but to no avail. Can anyone advise me as to how the missiles are supposed to be affixed to the vehicle?
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Seeker missiles on hammerhead/devilfish

There really is no official or definite place to attach seeker missiles. What I do, and what most other people probably do as well, is just stick it anywhere in the general front area of the bottom of the model.
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 07:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most people magnetize (or occasionally glue) them under the front "wings", sticking out a bit like they would from the wings of a fighter plane. If you don't want to mess with the magnets, on top next to where the engines attach also works. Really anywhere you feel like is fine as there is no official word from GW on where they go.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

On my Hammerheads i find that sticking the tab on the missile into the slit running down the Railgun looks really cool. Or, you can do it like i do on my Devilfish and just stick it in the engine bents on the back of the main chasis.
I would never recommend gluing them btw, as removing them after you shoot makes it easier to remember who has their missiles still
Old 05 Jun 2009, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the suggestions! I just hope that in the terrible event my oppenent disables the main hammerhead turret they do not insist that seeker missiles sitting on it are also removed.

Edit: I read the thread a couple pages back that explains how the markerlights and missiles work. Seems like the missile essentially fires itself, as evidenced by the erroneous BS 5.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Erroneous?...Hmmm...link please.
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 19:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Referring to the fact that Seeker Missiles are always fired at an assumed BS of 5. They are not really shot off by any particular unit, but are instead "called for". I don't have my codex handy atm, but I believe this is described under the seeker missile listing in the markerlight section.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 23:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It is not an erroneous BS5.
Seekers are NOT fired by the vehicle they are mounted on. They are only mounted on the vehicles for purposes of being carried and what armor side they came from against other vehicles. That's it.

Seekers are a BS5 weapon called in by a markerlight counter. MOST vehicles can carry two, thus imposing a limit on how many you can have based around how many vehicles you have on the table. Unlimited range, ignore intervening cover/units, and attack as if BS5 (which means they still suck against aircraft since the newer skyray info took away the IA3 skyray's AA capabilities).

Again: the carrier vehicle is nothing more than a carrier: the missile can launch as long as the vehicle isn't a smoking crater, even if stunned, immobilised, shaken, stuck out of LoS, whatever. The missile will find its way to the target, and hit as if a BS5 weapon, ignoring cover in between, and only caring about where you launched it from if trying to determine whether you hit the front, side or rear of a vehicle. If the thing's behind cover but not IN it, no cover saves.

I... think that's everything?
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 00:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
It is not an erroneous BS5.
Seekers are NOT fired by the vehicle they are mounted on. They are only mounted on the vehicles for purposes of being carried and what armor side they came from against other vehicles. That's it.

Seekers are a BS5 weapon called in by a markerlight counter. MOST vehicles can carry two, thus imposing a limit on how many you can have based around how many vehicles you have on the table. Unlimited range, ignore intervening cover/units, and attack as if BS5 (which means they still suck against aircraft since the newer skyray info took away the IA3 skyray's AA capabilities).

Again: the carrier vehicle is nothing more than a carrier: the missile can launch as long as the vehicle isn't a smoking crater, even if stunned, immobilised, shaken, stuck out of LoS, whatever. The missile will find its way to the target, and hit as if a BS5 weapon, ignoring cover in between, and only caring about where you launched it from if trying to determine whether you hit the front, side or rear of a vehicle. If the thing's behind cover but not IN it, no cover saves.

I... think that's everything?
Where exactly does it say that Seekers ignore cover, please?

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 00:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not cover something is in, but as they do not require line of sight, and are explicitly stated to only be travelling (in a straight line) from the firing vehicle *for purposes of which armor facing they strike*, that means anything in between the target and the carrier vehicle its fired from that would cause a cover save is ignored. Needing no LoS, no cover can be gained by the target for something blocking it.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote