Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs Imperial guard and vs Orks
Old 04 Jun 2009, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau vs Imperial guard and vs Orks

Hi guys,

I' ve just picked up the battle game of 40k and I've chosen to play with Tau Empire.
I don't know anything about strategy but we want to begin with playing army of 400 points, easier to learn the game I suppose.

My adversaries will be Imperial Guard and/or Orks also with 400 points army.
Any help is welcome,
for the greater good.

thx
Tetra

tertra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau vs Imperial guard and vs Orks

A Shas'el with a Burst Cannon and a Flamer is very effective for taking down Geqs
And a squad of Fire Warriors in their Devilfish provides alot of firepower and mobility
Kroot are good in melee versus both of those armies basic troops, provided that you soften up da Boyz with some preliminary fire first
Small armies are really not my fortay (sp?), but there is some useful advice

Also, if you expect the guard player to take some heavy equipment, change your Shas'el to have Fusion Blasters and a Missile Pod and deep strike him behind his tank
Old 04 Jun 2009, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thx for the info,

this is what I have so far:

HQ: Shas'el, air brusting, fusion blaster, flamer= 86pts

Troops: Fire Warrior 8x = 80 pts
Kroot 10 x = 70 pts
Pathfinder 4 x = 48 pts

Transport: Devilfish with Smart missile = 100 pts

TOTAL = 398 pts
Old 04 Jun 2009, 21:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

seems I don't know how to count

Total of 384 pts
this leaves me 16pts to spend options: 1 Fire / 1 Pathfinder or 2 Kroots?

Is the smart missle system on a devilfish a good idea? it's more static this way, beeing a Heavy weapon
Old 04 Jun 2009, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tertra

Total of 384 pts

Is the smart missle system on a devilfish a good idea? it's more static this way, beeing a Heavy weapon
3 weapons is a bad idea, even with a Multitracker (5 points), you can only shoot two weapons. I recommend getting rid of the flamer and changing the Fusion Blaster (that is anti vehicle, doesn't mix well with the AFB, an anti infantry weapon) and also getting a shield generator
Vehicles can move and shoot heavy weapons (i think), and it must be attached to the Pathfinders as they must take it. Also recommend getting a Disruption Pod and Targetting array to make it better at surviving and killing
Old 05 Jun 2009, 02:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Are you playing with the full Force Organization Chart? Normally, 400 point battles don't require HQ's, and limit the armor of the vehicles taken.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Are you playing with the full Force Organization Chart? Normally, 400 point battles don't require HQ's, and limit the armor of the vehicles taken.
Well as we are curently building our armies we want to be getting playing as fast as possible hence the 400 points battles but we'd like to grow to a 1500 points army.
So we'll be playing with the 'big' rules.

thx for reply
Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tertra

Total of 384 pts

Is the smart missile system on a devilfish a good idea? it's more static this way, being a Heavy weapon
3 weapons is a bad idea, even with a Multitracker (5 points), you can only shoot two weapons. I recommend getting rid of the flamer and changing the Fusion Blaster (that is anti vehicle, doesn't mix well with the AFB, an anti infantry weapon) and also getting a shield generator
Vehicles can move and shoot heavy weapons (i think), and it must be attached to the Pathfinders as they must take it. Also recommend getting a Disruption Pod and Targetting array to make it better at surviving and killing
I understand getting rid of the flamer, but the Fusion Blaster?
Is the combination of Anti vehicle and Anti Infantry not a good option?

As for the Devilfish, your absolutely right, a low cost for good upgrade.

Thx,
Old 05 Jun 2009, 11:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

1) Regarding the Shas'el, it is generally considered unwise to mix roles with your suits. You want to designate a job to your suit and equip it to not only function at that role, but to excel at it. So mixing the AFP, and Fusion isn't the greatest combo. Now since you are, more than likely going against horde style armies I would consider swapping the Fusion gun for a Cyclic Ion Blaster, and maybe giving him a Targeting Array, if you have the points, to up his ballistic skill.

2) I have recently been putting Smart Missile Systems on my Devilfishies, and have been loving it. The one thing you want to remember is to try and put a Multi-Tracker on it so it can shoot like a fast vehicle. Also, disruption pods are something to consider on your vehicles too. The cover save has saved my behind more than once.

Hope this all helps, and Good Luck.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 11:32   #10 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Indeed, it is typically far better to equip your suits with a specific purpose in mind, as you can only target one unit per turn, you'd be wasting 12/20 points on a weapon you won't be using on a given turn, besides, very few people will take vehicles in a 400 point match, especially not Ork (although Guard do love those tanks). Also note that unless you buy the BattleSuit Commander, you won't have the CIB or AFL pieces (a mistake i made when building my first army lists, as i hadn't gotten a chance to build everything yet), but i'm sure a certain degree of proxying will be permitted by your friends.
And remember, never glue in weapons on a Suit, either rig them to stay put like i do or shove a magnet in there to make them stick (there are some great tutorials on the instawebs on how to do this)