Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG update good for the Tau?
Old 04 Jun 2009, 19:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default IG update good for the Tau?

It seems like my local store has been more frequently sold out of many Tau units lately, and even ebay has become increasingly sparse. I used to save a couple bucks using the online auctions, but lately even the few listings have risen above retail price.

I have not yet had the ability to test my Tau forces against the new Imperial Guard, but from I've heard we tend to win against them when many other factions flounder. Perhaps this is the reason many people appear to be migrating to Tau? What do you guys think?
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: IG update good for the Tau?

I think a lot of th guard players in your area are still trying to get used to the new guard rules. Guard are currently capable of running Tau through the ringer. Once people in your area catch on to how good their new book is then games will become a lot more competetive. As far as Tau are concerned guard did nothing but get cheaper and better as far as it affects our army. So sit tight, I'm glad people in your area are having a lot of success against guard currently. However, I'm thinkin' it's gonna be a tough fight ahead.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Pretty much. The rise of weapons with better AP illustrates how much the Tau book relies on AP5 weaponry. And because the choices in the Guard codex got cheaper on the whole, there are more of them to fight. As it is now Guard can outmaneuver and outshoot the Tau in ways they couldn't before.

It is possible that what you are seeing is not Tau being sold more rapidly, but rather GW producing less.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you've not noticed yet but all the new books keep getting cheaper units for what they do which forces people to have more for set point games such as tourneys (which means people buy more)

I agree that GW will probably be producing less tau- it's always been a popular army but it's too popular in some ways
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 14:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Things may have gotten "worse" for tau with the new guard, but still they can clean the guards clock, shield drones with broadsides and hammerheads can knock their tanks and transports to the ground flat, and hammerheads templates make guardsmen dissapear. Stealths create havoc for guardsmen as well and a full squad with a Fusion blaster can take care of anything the guard have to offer. Our basic troops can take out their transports with a side or rear shot, and markerlights make shure what we need to hit, hits, or that they don't get anything even resembling a coversave, and the pos relat means that if we take our elites and heavy support early game we can blast them to hell and back before our objective holders are even on the board. ... oh and then there is our kroot which can take them on in CC.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 16:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Add to that all the potential goodness we get to look forward to when our Codex comes around again. >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 16:19   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Assuming GW sticks to the current model until then. Tau didn't benefit a great deal from the last update, because at that point GW was more concerned with maintaining a balance than they are today.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 16:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

lol, yeah. Still IMO tau can vaporize guard in a way no other army can. Ironically I just sold all my tau to start gaurd. Because nothing beats a good manticore.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 05 Jun 2009, 18:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not sure what a manticore is (haven't seen the new guard stuff) but a S10 AP1 TL cannon beats just about anything.
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 18:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

well except for BS4 Str 8 MELTA at 72" or a sigle weapon that launches up to 3 str 10 templates

Edit: does that violate site rules? since I didn't name the weapons or vehicles.