Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pirhana's
Old 04 Jun 2009, 06:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Pirhana's

1. In a team of say 4 pirhanas with target lock, how dose that work. Dose each pirhana get to target different units or what.

Since I had my codex I always wanted to do an agro army with craploads of pirhanas, all 3 slots used for 3-5 pirhana. Any sugestions???
Zely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 07:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Pirhana's

Yes each weapon on each Piranha can target a different unit.

Darth Da Myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 07:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Zely, I was about to report your post when I realised that I'm actually the Mod here... Please, do something about your spelling and formating. My eyes are bleeding... ;D

Alright, question answered. Every Piranha can shoot at a different target thanks to the Target Lock. Tricky question would be the Drones of the Piranhas - can each of them shoot at a different target, as well? I don't have my Dex with me right now, but I'm very interested in that one... Cookie for the first one to give me a properly formulated answer to that ("proper" meaning with page quotations from the rulebook and the Codex).

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Normally, I don't do this, but, just for the sheer hell of it:
[spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zely
1. (Is there a 2., as well?)In a team of say 4 pirhanas (It's Piranha. Or Piranhas. Not Pirhana or Pinata) with target lock, how does that work.? Dose each pirhana get to target different units or what.?

Since I had my codex I always wanted to do an aggro army with craploads of pirhanas, all 3 slots used for 3-5 pirhana. Any suggestions???
[/spoiler]
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 08:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@CmdrBonesaw - Sorry for the Offtopic, but you forgot to correct "dose" to "does". ;D

Anyway, a question related to the topic:

I do not have experience with Piranhas, though the XT-42 looks tempting enough. Does a Piranha squadron act as a normal unit, so that unit members do not obscure LOS to the target?

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 08:49   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to loonitick

Watchdog: Not entirely sure, think there is something about it under the squadron rules in the main rule book.
loonitick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Zely, I was about to report your post when I realised that I'm actually the Mod here... Please, do something about your spelling and formating. My eyes are bleeding... ;D

Alright, question answered. Every Piranha can shoot at a different target thanks to the Target Lock. Tricky question would be the Drones of the Piranhas - can each of them shoot at a different target, as well? I don't have my Dex with me right now, but I'm very interested in that one... Cookie for the first one to give me a properly formulated answer to that ("proper" meaning with page quotations from the rulebook and the Codex).

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Normally, I don't do this, but, just for the sheer hell of it:
[spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zely
1. (Is there a 2., as well?)In a team of say 4 pirhanas (It's Piranha. Or Piranhas. Not Pirhana or Pinata) with target lock, how does that work.? Dose each pirhana get to target different units or what.?

Since I had my codex I always wanted to do an aggro army with craploads of pirhanas, all 3 slots used for 3-5 pirhana. Any suggestions???
[/spoiler]
It says on pg 39, the Pirhana entry, that they can take the Target Lock form the Vehicle Armoury, and on pg 31, the Vehicle Armoury, it descrives the Target Lock as allowing each weapon to fire at a seperate unit. Since gun drones are fired as a weapon on the vehicle, in addition to any other weapons that would normally be permitted. So from those two statements, i would deduce that Drones are able to target separate units because they are firing as part of the vehicle
Old 04 Jun 2009, 15:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Page 39 of Codex: Tau Empire, it says that they can take target lock, yes, and it also says about target locks on page 31, as stated by PNW, but as Gun Drones count as passengers, I would say that they both have to fire at the same target, but not necessarily the same target as the Pirahna itself as they are not a weapon of the vehicle.
Also, when they are detached they both have to fire at the same target as they form a squadron.
So, let's say there are two targets that you want to shoot at:
With the Fusion Blaster on the front of the Pirahna, you want to shoot at a Leman Russ, but there are two squads of Guard that you want to shoot at with the drones. I would say that the Pirahna can shoot at the Russ, and the Drones can shoot at the Guard, but both drones must shoot at the same squad of Guard.

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 16:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, this one goes to PNW, I'm afraid. I personally assume (after looking at the Codex, of course) that the Drone rules ("fires as a part of the vehicle, with their own BS") trumps the "Passengers firing" rule. According to the Rules, Drones can also fire if the vehicle moved more than 12", which isn't possible for mere passengers. So, I suppose that Drones do not work as passengers for shooting purposes.

So, a Piranha with TL SHOULD be able to split his his fire, and fire his BC/FB at a target, and both Drones at two different targets, as well...

+1, PWN. Keep up the good work, both of you, LordZanuu and PNW!

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 00:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
I do not have experience with Piranhas, though the XT-42 looks tempting enough. Does a Piranha squadron act as a normal unit, so that unit members do not obscure LOS to the target?
TX-42 is a special Piranha that does not form up in a squadron.

because of the different heights possible on flying bases, you could easily argue that a squad didn't directly block true line of sight (TLOS). you could also argue on the other hand that since a squad(ron) is a squad is a squad [like troops] that firing rules apply. What would you do with target locks as war gear in an XV8 squad? or an XV15/XV25 squad? theoretically you could split the fire of an elite squad too. target locks are designed to split fire if a single squads splits fire would it still block itself 'oh! sorry mate I can't see over your shoulder, cover save' the only difference I see would be with nonskimmers such as leman russ squadrons where their physical bodies block their defensive weapons. with Piranhas, and their anti-gravity ability, and their weapons mounted underneath the ONLY thing that MIGHT be blocked would be the gun drones, and even they have their actual weapons mounted underneath. I would say that the TLOS rules apply, from the gun barrel to the model is more then 50% of it obscured? if not then there is no cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 16:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[quote=hardcore]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
TX-42 is a special Piranha that does not form up in a squadron.
The XT-42 comes in a team of 1-3 models.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I think I would go with the squad firing rules, i.e. no LOS obscuring for team mates.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote