Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Drones relentless?
Old 03 Jun 2009, 22:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Are Drones relentless?

For example, the marker drone? Can it move and still mark something up? any evidence to disprove/prove it?

Thanks
ZoDan.!
x x x
Old 03 Jun 2009, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Are Drones relentless?

A Marker Drone will only be considered Relentless if it is purchased for a unit that is Jump Infantry (Jet Packs). In other words, only if purchased for a Tau Commander, XV8 Crisis Suit or an XV15/XV25 Stealth Suit.

I believe it states explicitly, in the Armoury section on Drones, that a Marker Drone takes the movement type of the unit it was purchased for.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks
Old 04 Jun 2009, 00:14   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

While i hate to sidetrack a conversation, i have a similar question and i hate redundant topics
If jump packs are relentless, doesn't that mean they can fire all their weapons? If that is true, why do we need to take multi-trackers?
Old 04 Jun 2009, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
While i hate to sidetrack a conversation, i have a similar question and i hate redundant topics
If jump packs are relentless, doesn't that mean they can fire all their weapons? If that is true, why do we need to take multi-trackers?
Point of clarification, JET PACKS are Relentless, not Jump Packs.

But no, Relentless means you can fire ranged weapons as if you were standing still, even if you moved. So Rapid Fire can shoot long or double short, Heavy weapons can fire, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 00:40   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charistoph
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Point of clarification, JET PACKS are Relentless, not Jump Packs.

But no, Relentless means you can fire ranged weapons as if you were standing still, even if you moved. So Rapid Fire can shoot long or double short, Heavy weapons can fire, etc.
Well, don't i feel stupid. I leant my rulebook to a friend, and when we got together to play, i explained what the multi did and he said it was pointless because they were relentless. We didn't have a rulebook nearby so we couldn't check. I still don't have my book back, and it's the gamers edition one too :'(
Old 04 Jun 2009, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Jet Packs are relentless. Lone drones (like say you take the mirage apoc formation and detatch'em from vehicles) are jetpacks by default, but I'm not sure if that's explicitly stated for all except GUN drones, and could lead to some... rules-lawyering annoyances at a tourney table. Its overly obvious all drones are jetpacks unless they're slowing themselves down to the unit they follow, however.

While you can fire a heavy weapon or rapid-fire weapon as if you haven't moved, and still move, with relentless, it doesn't mean you can fire more than one weapon. Rules for characters and vehicles are different. You still need the multitracker if you want to fire more than one weapon. ALL fired weapons will be fired as if immobile if you wish them to do so, however.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 03:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Gun Drones are the only ones capable of running around on their own outside of one specific apocalypse formation, so unless you're doing that the question is moot.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 04:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyBomb
Gun Drones are the only ones capable of running around on their own outside of one specific apocalypse formation, so unless you're doing that the question is moot.
IA3 Heavy Gun Drones are Relentless too. And they can carry ordinary Markerlight, if the drop one of their Burst Cannons.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 12:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Tau have 3 Unit that are relentless: Xv-8, stealth suits and independant gun drone squads. -4 with the IA3 Heavy gun drones though.

Drones attached to the suits (XV-8 or stealth) gain relentless by proxy.

Here is a well detail explanation I had to give once:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Alright sleeper so here is the irrefutable proof that you want:

What we know so far:
1) Heavy weapon (including markerlight) can only be shot if the unit does not move.
2) Jet pack is a subtype of the jump infantry unit type
3) Jet pack confers the 'Relentless' special skill. Allowing them to shoot heavy weapon as if they had remained stationary
4) Advanced stabilisation system grants a similar bonus to broadside (Tau Empire p.25)
5) Drones takes the unit type of their controller, except independant gun drones. (TE p.31)
6) The New 5th Edition FAQ states that the bonus confer by the A.S.S. is not transferred upon the controlled drones)

Now:
- Wargear: Drones (Marker, shield, sniper and gun) has no inherent unit type...they must take the same type as their owner (p 31) so do not inherently have the relentless special skill.
- XV8 (Commander, bodyguard and regular one), Stealth suits and Independant gun drones squads are Jump infantry (Jet pack) unit type and thus have 'Relentless' (TE pp32, 34, 35, 38)
- Ethereal, Fire warrior, pathfinder, kroot, broadside, drone spotter are infantry unit type. They do not have 'Relentless' (TE pp 33, 36, 37, 38, 40)
- Vespid are regular jump infantry unit type and do not have 'Relentless' (TE p 39)
- Devilfish, piranha, hammerhead and skyray are skimmer and do not have 'relentless' (TE pp. 36, 39, 41) but if their gun drones disembarked they gain the jump infantry (Jet pack) unit type and do have the 'Relentless' skill. (TE p 30)

Of all those unit only 7 can take the wargears: (Hard-wired) Drone controller and Drones( Marker, shield, gun, and sniper): Crisis Suit, Steath suit, Ethereal, Fire warrior 'ui, Pathfinder 'ui, Broadside, Drone spotter.

Of those 7 only 2 can confer the jump infantry (Jet pack) unit type and thus the 'Relentless' special skill to controlled drones: Crisis suits and stealth suits

So based on the rules, the only way for a marker drones to have 'Relentless' is if the controller has it himself. And the only way for the controller to have 'Relentless' is for him to be of the jump infantry (jet pack) unit type. And this is what we've been trying to explain all day.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote