Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau and I have some questions about human auxillaries
Old 03 Jun 2009, 03:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau and I have some questions about human auxillaries

I know next to nothing about Tau but I have seen a few armies at my LGS. I like the look of them but I was wondering about the human auxillaries. Would a Tau allow an all human army? I mean the crisis suits etc. I thought it would be a cool theme to have a Tau army led by an exceptional human that had risen through the ranks and could actually lead a tau army. So is this going completely against the fluff or would it be possible?
Thanks
ant7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 03:14   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New to Tau and I have some questions about human auxillaries

In my opinion, no.
Humans are called Gue'la, meaning literally Lowest Being
From a fluff prospective, it seems unlikely that the Ethreals would trust humans to operate on their behalf without guidance
From a game prospective, the current codex doesn't allow for auxiliaries
But if your local gamers accept it, then go for it!
Old 03 Jun 2009, 07:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Might be a good excuse to use a human ethereal

The tau dont necessarily think too highly of human kind (Gue`la), but they at least give them the courtesy of calling their troops "Gue`vesa" human helpers, and the honor of Gue`vesa`uis

Anyways, the Gue`vesa are often at the borders of the Tau Empire. They are usually the newly, or already defected imperial remnants. They have been used in the Taros Campaign in regards to defending a key water plant, but the kroot got more light then them.

So far, they appear to stand where tau wish to attack and pullout, and can employ the similar battle marches as the tau in squad characteristics.

Some fluff would indicate that defected worlds might have current imperial guard tech, such as leman russes, or chimeras etc.. however, the rules once given to us (shakes fist at GW) to field human auxiliaries represent an indoctrinated human auxiliary squad, that uses the arms of their forefathers, and some pulse weaponry.

when they were legal you could take up to 5 squads, barring that stupid +1 firewarrior rule.

They come off as a very light skirmisher force..which they are.

But for the tau, having skirmishers is what makes Tau, tau. I should really get to updating that article on Gue`vesa.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 08:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I long entertained the thought of making a human Firewarrior team. The Gue'Vesa rules are fine for border-worlds and border-militias; but there are a few human worlds which are now for a few generations under Tau control, which means growth, indoctrination and better equipment. While I doubt that the Tau would use 100% human armies, or that a human could rise to a rank higher than 'Vre in the military, I do think that human Firewarrior teams are quite probable. Just use the Firewarrior profile, and convert some human troopers (Cadians might work - just give them Pulse weaponry, file off the Imperial insignia and add some armor) - presto, a human unit in a Tau army.

Cheers,
-Bone

P: The reason I doubt all-human Cadres is fluff. It is not a good idea to let a subordiante race run around on its own. Rather, they are probably entertaining a mixing approach. Include one or two units of humans as line infantry into your army. This way, the humans can learn from your Tau, you reduce prejudices - and can keep them nicely under control.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

With all due respect to pepsi and CmdrBonesaw, I would think it entirely believable. Except that I can't envision a human as the leader of an alien army.
There are only so many ranks that a human would be able to rise to before the Tau would consider them to have recieved the highest possible rank (something like a WO1 or SMA) and allow them to retire. I could see where an independent charicter recieved a specially designed XV25 battle suit or was allowed to be a test pilot for a future suits (ie. a crash dummy). Unfortunately the human auxillary is bound by pretty much the equivilent of the Indian caste system, where they can't get outside of their possission. You could have an Ethereal who only allows humans to guard them, or a specific Shas'o commander who has an advisor that is human.

In taros campeign the Tau left the humas to defend to missile silos and later the water station.
Now admitedly the Tau left them to die, because well let's face it, the Tau didn't feel like dieing themselves to defend something they didn't want to bother to use (for all the Tau technology, they never fired to missile silos, which make me curious to know whether or not the Tau could use them? yet the invading marines and guard considered them key first strike points)
Those defenders had to have some sort of command structure someplace, even if not outlined.
My guess is that each group fell under a shas'ui or possible a shas'vre (I don't imagine a shas'el lowering themself directly to interact with 'bait&#39 that supervised their activities. Since the vast majority are referenced as imperial guard I would tell you to get a guard codex and replace the HQ with a Tau elite team (XV8, XV15, XV25) and each company command with a fire warrior shas'ui (note the cost for a single Tau plus teamleader and shas'ui upgrade is 'close' to a guard squad command, don't push the 'close' people) and not have fast or heavy units.
actually a good solution may be to try and mix the catchacan codex and the Tau codex, using Tau for the leadership spots (this would be safer since the catchacan codex is officially not usable anyway). or you could create your own expanded Tau allies codex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

actually, in the new codex i have noticed that you can't have human auxilaries in a tau army. i no it sucks!
ethereal-tallera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

What if in using the new Imperial Guard codex, you wanted to form a Tau-Human force? What would that entail?

I'm thinking of mixing and matching models to fit my Imperial guard army. So I plan to have the Command Squad be mainly made up of Tau FWs and a Shas'o in noncrisis suit gear. The Fleet Commander and Astropath will be represented by Tau Air Caste members.

For the platoons, I want to organize them under Tau doctrine…so fast moving, targetted forces. Mounted Air Cav or APCs with decent Tanks, but little or no artillery. Lots of Stormtroopers, no Ogryn/Ratlings and little to no Veterans (since I imagine most of the human forces will be just the equivalent of PDFs). I imagine the Tau would dump all their "lesser races" into this PDF…so any wacky conversions I'm considering can just be yet another guard platoon.

Would that make sense under the fluff? I don't own the Taros campaign book, but since I already own a massive Tau army and I'm just starting to play apocalypse, I think it'd be cool to make an Tau Human Auxiliary army to fight along side my Tau.
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

There were imperial defectors during the Taros campaign if I recall correctly.
Old 03 Jun 2009, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow. got to love not staying on the topic. There is rules for human troops. But the kroot fight better and the tau are much tougher to kill. With the new rules they can jump in any transport now. They can take melta bombs which is cool. But you can only make a squad of 10-12. Also they can take 2 plasma rifles or two pulse. They're cheap but the new guard is cheaper. Also they have penalties fighting against fellow humans. I have one squad of them I converted. But honestly the option is there just to say I'm using them. The rules is somewhere out there like the all kroot army rule set.
Old 03 Jun 2009, 22:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

[quote=chicop76]
Wow. got to love not staying on the topic. There is rules for human troops. But the kroot fight better and the tau are much tougher to kill. With the new rules they can jump in any transport now. They can take melta bombs which is cool. But you can only make a squad of 10-12. Also they can take 2 plasma rifles or two pulse. They're cheap but the new guard is cheaper. Also they have penalties fighting against fellow humans. I have one squad of them I converted. But honestly the option is there just to say I'm using them. The rules is somewhere out there like the all kroot army rule set.
[/quote

Gue`vesa dont have plasma and melta bombs :P.

6-12, emp for the whole squad, either two pulse/carbine, markerlight with UI updgrade.

They have flak armor, and are about as decent as a firewarrior to take damage with, but thats not saying much.

(Every tau troop cannot stand to be molested, so I see no difference in their protection.)

They are about as equivalent cover save as everyone else is. Their imperial enemies hit them better...so what. Marines are going to rape them, and likely if imperials or sisters are already on you, they are a very light cost in the long run)