Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rekindle my Faith in TAU!!
Old 01 Jun 2009, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Rekindle my Faith in TAU!!

I've lost all faith!! Argggghh >

I need help (In more ways that one, I know)
But for now...

How do you make a Tau Army of WIN!? ;D

Obviously joking aside what is the best way to play them these days and what will I need to pull it off?

Thanks
ZoDan.!
x x x
Old 02 Jun 2009, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Rekindle my Faith in TAU!!

patience, and a flexible game plan.

What normally do you run?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ruthless aggression and cunning schemes.

What I find to work is ninja Tau, which focusses on getting reinforcements when you want them, where you want them, allowing you to easily concentrate your firepower.

Using these tricks, a successful commander should aim to obliterate entire units at a time, not even leaving a single survivor.

...Oh and disruption pods are golden.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

So far I've lost every game I've played but that's cause I usually forget about the objectives towards the end of the game and focus on killing things >.

But use Mech Tau and disruption pods. Mounting Firewarriors lets you keep them out of nasty close combat and away from any weapons fire that will eat through them. Mounted, they get the 4+ cover save from the Disruption pods and given that tanks are harder to kill now they just plain live longer.

Piranhas should jet up and into the enemy deployment passing their attackers and wreak havoc on any heavies or whatever's left behind. The enemy will either have to divert fire from your main line to kill the relatively cheap Piranhas (my standard load out is fusion, TA, disruption = 75) or risk losing their long range firepower.

Overall tactics are pretty much use cover to good effect

Focus your units fire to best effect. Railguns to tanks, Pulse rifles to troops, plasma to heavies, you get the picture

Nothing in the Tau army is meant as a stand alone units like Space Marines. Keep all of your units supporting each other and close enough to help if needed.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 02:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

I use quality of firepower and ignore Markerlights. A blasphemous statement but I've done very well with the list.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I had a similar crisis of faith a few months ago, but I found a trick that works very well for me (although it's a bit weak at 1500 points and below). It's been mentioned here a few times, and I'm planning to write a real tactica for it in the near future. Basically, you take a full squad of 8 pathfinders with markerlights, attach both HQ crisis suits tricked out with defensive upgrades, and park them in some good terrain near the back or in a corner. The rest of the list can pretty much be whatever you want, but mine tends to be a fairly classic vehicle-oriented mechanized tau. As wounds come in on the pathfinders (and with 400-something points in a single unit, you WILL take some serious fire), you assign them to the suits and drones with the 2+ and 3+ armor saves. As the enemy charges in toward assault you have several choices: double Fish of Fury (you should have enough markerlights to do two squads at BS 5), a wall of skimmers, detaching one or both commanders to take the charge, or if all else fails pack up the pathfinders in a transport and run like hell! The one things that can be disastrous for that unit is a sweeping advance or bad enough luck on the dice that they fall back off the table. At Leadership 10 and lots of wounds a fall-back shouldn't happen very often, but don't place them too close to the edge anyway. Also, if a strong enough unit gets there and forces a sweeping advance, it will wipe out all three units by my reading of the rules.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The best generic 5th edition Tau army is one that focuses on mobility, and massed firepower versus infantry, and heavy fire power versus tanks. In other words, make sure most (if not all) your units can move 12" a turn, use railguns instead of missile pods for anti tank (glancing hit rules made the missile pod worse), and use massed firepower instead of AP weaponry against MEQs (though plasma weapons are still a necessity for TEQs)

Things that have gotten better for Tau with 5th:
Stealth teams equipped with marker drones
Firestorms
Disruption Pods
Kroot

LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 04:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

I've also been ignoring Markerlights and using the saved points to beef up my actual guns. I stay highly mobile (other than a single BASS team), focus overwhelming amounts of firepower unit by unit and refuse to settle for anything less than Obliteration.

Do not be afraid to use an Ionhead tank if you know Smurfs will be your main opponents (as I know in my store), they're worth their weight in gold if so.

Always stay highly mobile, and fire your weapons in order of versatility. That is, if you have units whose fire will only work on one available target, use them first. You'd be shocked how many people forget this and end up denying themselves shots.

Don't be afraid to do the unexpected now and again. I won a shocking victory over SM by charging a bunch of Fire Warriors at a Land Raider and blowing it to kingdom come with EMPs. I also regularly use Vespids in fun games to good effect.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 06:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Like with most armies, especially Tau, you need to focus your firepower:
If you want to kill something, kill it before moving on. This way you get more Kill Points and you can put an end to the risk of being assaulted from more than one angle.
Never underestimate massed pulse fire, it can take down most things. Apart from a Land Raider, obviously. That is why we have railguns.

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 08:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
The best generic 5th edition Tau army is one that focuses on mobility, and massed firepower versus infantry, and heavy fire power versus tanks. In other words, make sure most (if not all) your units can move 12" a turn, use railguns instead of missile pods for anti tank (glancing hit rules made the missile pod worse)
Really? Admittably I don't have that many games under my belt, but I've found missile pod suits to be excellent deal, AV10-11 is dead meat against massed S7 fire, even if the other guy gets cover saves. I thought I might try a list which packs 9 Firestorm/Deathrain suits.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote