Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

markerlights: quick question...
Old 01 Jun 2009, 19:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default markerlights: quick question...

I'm sorry it's a letter of the rules versus spirit of the rules question here:

Can I take a cover save against markerlights?

The letter of the rules is that you save when you take damage, but the spirit if the rules is that cover blocks a shot from things being in the way. By this logic we can assume that markerlights don't get obstructed by trees, building walls, and so on like say... bolters, lasguns, um... any weapon really because they don't do damage, and that's the ONLY reason... because they don't do damage, you get no cover?! I believe the spirit of the rules failed to specify well enough, but as far as I knew of, a direct-fire weapon going through cover allows a save to not be affected by it.

This whole "it didn't cause a wound so you don't get a save" arguement does not make a lot of sense and I recently had half my figures thrown across a room by a temper tantruming 'adult' Tau player for questioning this during a game last weekend. (Hi you-know-who-you-are! You owe me some flight bases and a lot of superglue!)

I just wanted to verify what the LOS rules are really meant for. I believe that any LOS requiring weapon would have its LOS obstructed by cover, whether it does damage or not. Am I wrong here? I hope not because I need an awful lot of rebuilding of my figures because of this issue for me questioning it.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: markerlights: quick question...

You've posed a very interesting question but i'm split between the two alternatives. I would say that in reality that a Markelight would be an IR detector style of device and so no amount of cover could stop you from aquiring target lock but.
I can't give an answer and believe that, if it's not in the tau FAQ or in the codex, you should contact GW and query them upon the rule or just agree on rule before the game .e.g. Cover saves are allowed against markelights but suffer a -2 modifier or no cover saves allowed.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

I'm inclined towards the former solution. I imagine the ML to be what the Colonel has described as well so Cover wouldn't be an issue for the firing unit.

If you do contact GW and ask, perhaps you could post up their reply for the rest of us maybe?
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

This one is very cut and dry - markers are not affected by cover saves. Only items that cause wounds are affected by cover saves.

In short you can't take a save until you have been wounded.

You could always house rule this - but if you play by the book then there are no saves vs markers.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 20:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Midship Nick

Dont forget that if a piece of cover completely blocks the LOS from the model with the markerlight after it is declared as shooting, then it misses automatically, no roll needed. pg. 16 of the LRB covers the whole LOS intricacies.
Midship Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
This one is very cut and dry - markers are not affected by cover saves. Only items that cause wounds are affected by cover saves.

In short you can't take a save until you have been wounded.

You could always house rule this - but if you play by the book then there are no saves vs markers.
This is basically it.

In short, you cannot take a cover save from a markerlight hit, ever. This is because no rolls to wound are made.

IIRC it states something like this in the codex.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Another markerlight question:

If an unit expends markerlight hits to both decrease cover save of the target unit, and request some Seeker missiles from a vehicle into same target unit...do the Seeker missiles also benefit from reduced cover saves?

Lets say I have Pathfinders, Fire Warrior team and Sky Ray ganging up on Nob Bikers with their 3+ turboboost cover save. First Sky Ray and Pathfinders light them up with markerlights, then Fire Warriors open fire and expend markerlight markers to both reduce cover save against their own shooting, and shoot Seekers from Sky Ray. Do the missiles count as Sky Ray firing (again) against the Bikers (in which case they get their normal save) or as Fire Warriors (whose firing turn it is and who expend the markers) firing special weapons against them, in which case they get reduced save just as against their pulse rifle fire?
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 23:44   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Midship Nick

well markerlight counters are "only removed after rolls to hit have been made" (page 29, 4th ed codex), so when the FWs pulse the nobs, those counters are removed after those rolls are resolved. if there are any counters left over, those can be used to fire a seeker and remove the cover saves for the seeker shot.

in order it would like this:
1. nobs lit up by sky and path teams
2. FWs expend x number of tokens to reduce cover for their shots
3. FWs then use 1 token to fire the seeker
4. FWs may also expend left over tokens to reduce cover for the seeker.
Midship Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You can't take cover saves but you should be able to because the markerlight comes from the shooter to the target, so any terrain would get in the way. Drones hardly have advanced Target Locks thingymagummys (BS2, remember).
nototter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

You also shouldn't be able to win a battle against tanks and machineguns if all of your troops are wielding chainsaws and pistols - but you can. :P

This is the part where I have to point out that it's a game and not even a very logical game at that. To have fun we have to put reality aside.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote