Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online Grand Summer Quiz Competition: Tau
Old 07 Sep 2009, 19:24   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: Tau Online Grand Summer Quiz Competition: Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dwarf 261 (October 2001), Index: Xenos - Tau, pg. 32
However, their lack of a dilatory pupil results in poorer depth perception and a slower focusing reflex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer's Answer
7. In what way is Tau vision slightly inferior to humans?

They lack dilatory pupils, meaning that they cannot focus as quickly on close, fast-moving targets as humans.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang
Doombringer, You neglected to mention the depth perception in the answer 7.
You neglected to pose your question in a way that allowed for more than one answer to it.

Is that my fault?

You didn't ask "In what ways are a Tau's vision slightly inferior to humans?"

You asked "In what way is Tau vision slightly inferior to humans?"

I answered singularly, just as the question implied I should. They lack dilatory pupils - the singular, all-encompassing answer to your query.

This results in the Tau have a slower focusing reflex, and poorer depth perception, but it wouldn't have seemed right to answer with both, given the wording of your question, so I just went with the biological cause and answered with the most applicable effect it had on Tau eyesight, which included both depth perception and the focusing reflex within the explanation.

Come on, you couldn't even name the exact source - I have the White Dwarf in front of me right here, page open, just as I did when I was answering your questions. Why should I be penalized?

You may as well be penalizing folks for answering anything at all in relation to the Cytheruab Annexation, because the Cytheruab Annexation doesn't exist.

I'm the one who caught that, by the way, when I answered on June 17, 2009, 03:30:47 AM, which you then amended on June 20, 2009, 03:37:23 PM, taking credit for.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 19:55   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer

You may as well be penalizing folks for answering anything at all in relation to the Cytheruab Annexation, because the Cytheruab Annexation doesn't exist.

I'm the one who caught that, by the way, when I answered on June 17, 2009, 03:30:47 AM, which you then amended on June 20, 2009, 03:37:23 PM, taking credit for.
No need to be petty.

But, given the quotation from index Xenos, I'm happy to amend the mark, and give you the full 30.

Do consider however this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Rules:
  • Quiz is open now until the 31 June 2009 at 12 Midnight GMT.
  • Answer the questions to the fullest. If your unsure of an answer, take a guess (or just leave blank)!
  • Submit your answers to Hadhfang.
Giving one of the two weaknesses is not "To the fullest". So just consider that.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:02   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

It doesn't matter now, but I did answer both, within the stipulations of the question itself (that being, giving a singular answer with an explanation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
They lack dilatory pupils, meaning that they cannot focus as quickly[sup]1[/sup] on close, fast-moving targets[sup]2[/sup] as humans.
1 - Slow Focusing Reflex
2 - Poor Depth Perception

I'd also like to remind you of the second half of that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
If your unsure of an answer, take a guess (or just leave blank)
I took my guess within the bounds of the question, and answered all of my questions to the fullest.

Every answer I submitted had the correct answer from every source that had an opinion on it.

---

And my comments on the Annexation are not me being petty.

I simply believe that credit should be given where credit is due.

Saying that you just noticed it, three days after I submitted my answers to you alongside a clarification of Question 12, just doesn't sit well with me.

---

Thank you for your amendment.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:07   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

At the time, the quiz was still in progress, I didn't want to give out details of participants or their answers to questions, Suggesting that another entrant pointed out an error in a question suggest that they have got the answer correct. A small thing I know, but at the time I felt it was for the best. You are right though in that you pointed the error out, and I will consider this in future quizzes (Assuming I stay on in the committee)

Number 2, You are right, but at the time of marking the quiz, the wording of the answer struck me as not being a second part of the answer, just a continuation of the focusing answer. I apologise, but at the time, I was busy with examinations, so its possible I made a mistake there too. Again, I apologise.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:18   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I apologize for being headstrong.

Thank you for your amicability on the matter.

Doombringer

Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:32   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

No worries, It's understandable.

No hard feelings eh?

Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:46   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

None.

Doombringer

Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:52   #18 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's good then. Seals will be handed out soon-I'm waiting on Zenai to tell me which ones we're officially using for it, and I'll PM them once I know for sure- Unless I see one of the seals being worn anywhere, in which case I can then assume that it's that one being used, and so don't need to wait for Zen.