Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fury squad?
Old 29 May 2009, 13:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fury squad?

I am working on my army list, but I am severely constrained by resources. I intend to use the Fish of Fury tactic, but only have one devilfish and two squads of firewarriors. So I have this question:

The squad for Fish of Fury, should they be bonded and have photon torp... grenades? Or should you either 1) only use them when you have a better than 50% expectation to annihilate the enemy unit via shooting, or 2) recognize that FoF is a dangerous tactic and try to minimize the cost of the participating FWs and be willing to sacrifice them to assault if need be?
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 14:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Fury squad?

Sacrificial unit? Accept losses? Lunacy, I say!

The Fish of Fury technique is still viable in this edition, however you just need to be more cautious.
The idea behind this technique previously was to deal crippling damage, while making sure your warriors were protected from any retaliation by survivors/supporting units.

Today, we have adjusted this technique to mean the complete and total annihilation of anything the pulse rifles are pointed at. Now sadly even a 10-12 man Fire Warrior unit cannot accomplish this feat on the average 6+ strong Marine squad, so the move has to be complimented with supporting units, such as say an Ion Cannon or a Plasma/Fusion suit that joins the fray. Even Vespid would be a fun choice to support the feeding frenzy.

So basically: FoF has evolved to be a lot more thorough in its killy-ness and requires supporting units to be effective.
The result is you won't have to fear your target (as it'll be dead), but you should be wary of THEIR support.
Old 29 May 2009, 15:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, as Tau, on the one hand, it's all for the greater good, right? So they should be willing to die as long as they know their sacrifice was worthwhile. On the other hand, Tau don't believe in squandering resources, as their area of influence is still quite small, so their manpower is quite limited. The gripping hand is, I really want the ability to use this tactic, but it ties up my only vehicle, and at least half of my troops, so I need them to survive.

With that in mind, do they need the Shas'ui team leader and bonding knife? or is that something I should forgo in order to spend the 15 points elsewhere?
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

I'm thinking of doing FoF with a 12 man Carbine squad, parking 18 inches away and using the Drones and Burst Cannon from the Devilfish and hoping for pinning to protect my guys. Would this be an acceptable tactic you could try?
Old 29 May 2009, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

@PNW: I like it, however it's tricky. Now that squads no longer get negative modifiers in the shooting phase for being below 50%, it's harder to pin units.
I'd say this would only really work against units with Ld7 or worse.
Or to put it in a simpler form: if it's got power armor, is chaotic, within synapse or a robot, don't bother.

@Sgt.Booraem: I always field a Shas'ui with bonding knife in my fire warrior squads, because now they have to claim objectives. Being able to regroup below 50% makes it easier for them to stay in the game.
Basically the bonding knife is a general purpose upgrade, going far beyond any single tactic.
Old 30 May 2009, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Make sure to model your Devilfish on the stands. Since everything in 5th ed is true line of sight you need to have the devilfish elevated to shoot under them. Made that mistake last game I played so keep that in mind.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

PNW and Cyven have the best ideas. Basically take Carbine troops, and deploy them out the side doors. This keeps everything but fleet (with a good run roll) and jump troops out of assault range of your troops and DF.

Support those infantry with some Stealths, Vespid, XV-8s, what have you.

As to using upgrades, I would only bother taking the 'Ui and Bonding myself. Also I highly suggest taking the SMS and a targeting array for the DF. That gives the DF 7 shots at BS 4, and the FWs have 12 at BS 3., so for around 220 points you get 19 shots, and a lot of mobility, with some moderate protection.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 21:33   #8 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337green1
PNW and Cyven have the best ideas. Basically take Carbine troops, and deploy them out the side doors. This keeps everything but fleet (with a good run roll) and jump troops out of assault range of your troops and DF.

Support those infantry with some Stealths, Vespid, XV-8s, what have you.

As to using upgrades, I would only bother taking the 'Ui and Bonding myself. Also I highly suggest taking the SMS and a targeting array for the DF. That gives the DF 7 shots at BS 4, and the FWs have 12 at BS 3., so for around 220 points you get 19 shots, and a lot of mobility, with some moderate protection.
I played last night against my friends new Dark Eldar army, i Furied with a 12 man Pulse Rifle squad (My carbine squad was going to be proxied as Pathfinders, but the game ended before they could come in) against Wyches after my Shas'o softened them up with his AFL and CIB. I only needed to roll half of the shots (we could only find 12 dice) and they were dead. The benifit of the carbines is that you don't have put yourself at such a risk.

1337green1, Beasts would also be able to get you or Wyches with the 12'' Charge drug
Old 01 Jun 2009, 02:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There's another option we can try as well. Bring up 2 devilfish on the soon-to-be-mangled enemy unit. Make sure to leave anough room between them for both fire warrior teams, so 20-24 models total (24 in my case). Also disembark your gun drones, putting them in front of the devilfish, out of the fire warriors firing lane. Blast with impunity. In the assault phase, use the gun drones assault phase move to close the gate, positioning them in front of fire warrior squads. This wll block assaults and allow a 4+ cover save for the fire warrior squads behind them. Don't expect the drones to survive long in this role, but that's what they're for right?
Old 01 Jun 2009, 05:06   #10 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Head
There's another option we can try as well. Bring up 2 devilfish on the soon-to-be-mangled enemy unit. Make sure to leave anough room between them for both fire warrior teams, so 20-24 models total (24 in my case). Also disembark your gun drones, putting them in front of the devilfish, out of the fire warriors firing lane. Blast with impunity. In the assault phase, use the gun drones assault phase move to close the gate, positioning them in front of fire warrior squads. This wll block assaults and allow a 4+ cover save for the fire warrior squads behind them. Don't expect the drones to survive long in this role, but that's what they're for right?
Wow.
That is Bee-Ee-Aye-Youtiful!!!
I'm so stealing this technique, unless you object?